One very good reason not to drop Flash support from Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

One very good reason not to drop Flash support from Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-28, 10:23

The creativity people have poured into their flash projects!

http://www.nawlz.com/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: One very good reason not to drop Flash support from Pale Moon

Unread post by Al6bus » 2021-11-28, 11:08

SeemsGood
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-28, 12:07

Don't you mean NPAPI plugin support, since Flash is just that?

This is just beautiful. Another example of the past being objectively way cooler and more creative than the modern dumb web. I can't even begin to imagine the level of javascript and CSS bullshit you would need to recreate something like this in HTML5.
And given that HTML5 was supposed to replace Flash, all it did was bring in video support. Cool animations, mouseover special effects and sounds went the way of the dodo.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-28, 12:26

moonbat wrote:
2021-11-28, 12:07
Don't you mean NPAPI plugin support, since Flash is just that?
Of course I mean NPAPI support, mr. semantics. But this is focused on Flash specifically.

I think Adobe (and other players) made a big mistake deprecating all of this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2021-11-28, 12:27

I feel the same way. One reason I always have Pale Moon on hand is because I have always considered browsers that don't support Flash to be inferior browsers. And now this is one of the last ones I have that can support it.

I remember one thing that kinda pissed me off was that Microsoft Edge (the old one, at least) kept looking for ways to keep Flash viable for as long as possible, but Google security researchers kept poking holes in every solution they would find that was a compromise short of removing it, and essentially forced everyone including Adobe into dropping Flash Player by finding all these hypothetical flaws that weren't even in the wild and publishing them, generating terrible PR and scaring people away from Flash until everyone agreed on the 2020 sunset date.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-28, 15:54

Moonbat understands.