NoSquint addon breaks browser's media playback page

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

NoSquint addon breaks browser's media playback page

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2021-11-13, 13:58

This is how audio stream playback page displayed without/turned off NoSquint addon:
Screenshot_2021-11-13_164441.png
And this is how it behaves when the addon is active (for videos too):
Screenshot_2021-11-13_164333.png
I couldn't find some addon setting that could fix that... but this addon is useful for me...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: NoSquint addon breaks browser's media playback page

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-13, 14:34

This is a known problem (see link below) and it is unclear, to me at least, whether it is caused by NoSquint or Pale Moon. There was an unconfirmed report that older -and now unavailable- Pale Moon versions did not display this issue.

However, you are bit late since NoSquint is not currently compatible with Pale Moon anyway (as of v.29.4.2) but you probably knew that already. So, nobody is going to fix an already broken extension.

HTML5 media controls are missing when directly viewing HTML5-compatible media files

Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2021-11-13, 14:54

That's bad. Sorry, I didn't know about it, as I've installed that extension long time ago, and it worked as intended on latest PM, not considering this issue...

Is there any alternative to NoSquint for now? I couldn't find.

pm4eva
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by pm4eva » 2021-11-15, 06:08

I just wondered that i could not use sitezoom with NoSquint anymore.
Since the last PM Update 29.4.2.1 it does not work and it blocks even the internal zoom-function.
And CTRL +/- also was totaly blocked and i first thought the browser has frozen.
All we need now is an update of this very useful addon.
thx and greets

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2021-11-15, 17:15

pm4eva wrote:
2021-11-15, 06:08
All we need now is an update of this very useful addon.
Yes we do. Thank you for confirming the need for this extension as well.

Unfortunately, Moonchild said (before locking the corresponding thread): Do it yourself.
Some people can't even imagine that there are people who can't handle arbitrary program code. :(

I tried to patch NoSquint as described in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27261&start=20#p219618
This was tedious enough and cannot be a solution for the average user. At the point "There are some browser version checks that use Application.version. I replaced those with hardcoded true or false", I finally didn't know what to do.
The patched xpi file could be installed, but did nothing. The NoSquint icon and the 100% display was displayed as usual in the status bar, but did not respond. I was only able to enter the settings dialog, seemingly enter changes, but close the dialog only with "x", because the OK/Cancel/Help buttons were not responding.
Extremely frustrating.
Apart from that, I anyway don't know whether this home-baked patch wouldn't be knocked out again with the next Palemoon update.

In addition, the mentioned media playback bug remains, of course. (I myself had already reported this bug here a few years ago, with very similar screenshots. At the time, it seemed as if there was still a team here that dealt with NoSquint. That was a long time ago...)

So, we simple users have to wait for a "White Knight" who makes the – supposedly small – effort to build and provide a corresponding extension due to the apparently high demand.
It would also be a reassuring sign for Palemoon’s future if there are still any developers at all writing helpful addons for this browser. And vice versa...

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-15, 18:11

Quorx wrote:
2021-11-15, 17:15
So, we simple users have to wait for a "White Knight" who makes the – supposedly small – effort to build and provide a corresponding extension due to the apparently high demand.
Note that the White Knight should not only simply "fix" it, but also keep an eye for future developments i.e. make sure the extension keeps working i.e. a certain amount of commitment is also required. Certainly not huge, though.

pm4eva
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by pm4eva » 2021-11-15, 18:31

i remembered me now on the internal firefox zoom function
is it right that it uses the switch "browser.zoom.siteSpecific" in about:config ?

i tried it to set it to TRUE in Palemoon but the zoom factor does reset after a browser restart.

so is that site specific function implemented in PM or not?
or do i not understand something right?
thx and greets

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-15, 19:30

Yes, Pale Moon remembers the zoom levels. That setting should be set to True. Have you uninstalled/disabled NoSquint? Do you perhaps clear browser data/site preferences after every session? That will clear the zoom settings.

Also look at this post: How to use Pale Moon's internal zoom manager and controls

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2021-11-15, 20:53

I can confirm that the site specific function is basically contained in Palemoon. But it is not possible to define exceptions for subdomains there. For example, if you want a different zoom factor for forum.palemoon.org than for addons.palemoon.org or palemoon.org, this will not work. A customization on one page is applied to the entire domain.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-11-15, 23:49

Quorx wrote:
2021-11-15, 17:15
I tried to patch NoSquint as described in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27261&start=20#p219618
This was tedious enough and cannot be a solution for the average user. At the point "There are some browser version checks that use Application.version. I replaced those with hardcoded true or false", I finally didn't know what to do.
astewart's second post shows exactly how he did this (look in the code box).

Or, for an alternative extension...
Some people have chosen to use Zoom Page.
See this thread, the last few posts, starting here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-16, 09:31

I still don't understand why someone won't just fork and take care of it. Surely, you can set the font in a text editor so you can read it while updating it to current specs.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-16, 09:52

Ok, if no one knowledgeable comes forward, I can attempt to "go through the motions" of forking it. I believe I have successfully modified it based on astewart's posts. I'll verify all of its functions and repost later.

Just don't expect me to fix any future breakage without (massive) help, since I'm only doing this based on intuition and other people's instructions. It will be a "zero-knowledge" fork. 😋

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-16, 10:01

If you are just gonna shitfork it, don't bother. You likely wouldn't get past validation anyway.. Let alone review.

jirido

Unread post by jirido » 2021-11-16, 22:11

I think you should try. :thumbup:
back2themoon wrote:
2021-11-16, 09:52
Ok, if no one knowledgeable comes forward, I can attempt to "go through the motions" of forking it. I believe I have successfully modified it based on astewart's posts. I'll verify all of its functions and repost later.

Just don't expect me to fix any future breakage without (massive) help, since I'm only doing this based on intuition and other people's instructions. It will be a "zero-knowledge" fork. 😋
Post a link to the extension when you are done so we can try. Be brave! :wtf: :crazy:
I will dream of your work.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-16, 22:17

Do it right or don't do it at all. Otherwise you can expect attachments and links removed.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2021-11-16, 22:50

It should really be worth noting that the aforementioned fix was NOT tested on 29.4.0 (only on 29.4.0.2... the version where stock NoSquint already worked) and, from my own testing whereby AFAICT I did everything 100% correctly, the supposed "fix" doesn't actually make the extension work... or at least function enough to the point of being actually usable.

(for reference, despite my inability to code as hardware is my specialty rather than software, I am at least quite computer savvy and am able to poke around config and/or script files and the like)

Now I don't want this to be taken as gospel as, like I said, I can't code worth a darn so it's extremely possible that I did in fact screw up the process. However, as someone that is extremely OCD when it comes to doing any sort of testing, the fact that it wasn't even tested on 29.4.0 raises huge red flags for the validity of the supposed "fix" (I mean, it's not like it was difficult to test when portable versions of v29.4.0 are made available in the "archived versions" which is what I used for trying out the supposed "fix").

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-16, 23:04

I only applied what astewart described, as many probably did. There is no "my work". NoSquint works, but I don't know what Tobin means by "shitfork". Is the actual solution by astewart considered technically "shitty", even if it seems to work fine? Or is the offer to fork it by a mostly clueless user problematic? I'm guessing the latter.

In any case, I agree that someone knowledgeable must fork it. I only offered so it'd become officially compatible again and other users who are reluctant or unable to "hack" it can still use NoSquint. I wasn't planning on forking and forgetting it, I could learn a thing or two, but I certainly wouldn't become a wizard any time soon.
__NM64__ wrote:
2021-11-16, 22:50
...the aforementioned fix was NOT tested on 29.4.0.
It works fine on 29.4.2.1.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-17, 03:25

back2themoon wrote:
2021-11-16, 23:04
I don't know what Tobin means by "shitfork".
It means lazy forking for the heck of it. Publishing a fork on the addons site means a commitment on your part to stick around in the forum and help resolve issues faced by users, as well as any potential changes in response to evolving Javascript and other standards (although having to make changes because of that is extremely rare).

If you won't or can't spare the time or commitment to support your creation then you shouldn't publish it or distribute it by other means.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-17, 09:16

To add to what moonbat said and in before "but I'm doing this for free to make it work, why should I care?":

When you publish an extension and make it available to users, you create a dependency by them on what you do. Users who use it will depend on it working and staying operational, they may build workflows around it and have routines depend on it. That kind of dependency creates responsibility. You'll be responsible for making sure people who run into issues will get those issues solved to the best of your ability. That is a moral obligation that we think is the minimum you should do when you publish an extension.

FTR: the same type of responsibility rests on my shoulder for publishing Pale Moon and Basilisk.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite