FEBE not working in last unstable version

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

FEBE not working in last unstable version

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-09-17, 12:50

I only got as far as installing the last unstable version on one partition, due to it's abandonment being announced I moved to stable from the previous unstable version elsewhere. I used FEBE to export some things which mostly worked OK, I think not all items worked but the important ones did, plus this could have been because I was swapping stuff into an earlier version which was of course why I couldn't keep the entire profile, anyway. I usually start with a new profile in these situations but thought I should try a smarter solution to see how it worked.
Today though, I tried this with 29.5.0a1 2021-08-24 the last unstable but FEBE won't work, if I go to tools - FEBE - preferences I get an error message in the bottom right corner saying FEBE cannot be opened except from the controlling window and it cannot be closed, Pale Moon cannot be closed, all I can do is # pkill palemoon to get rid of those windows.
So if that last unstable is where the stable is headed, FEBE might be about to stop working unless it was just a mistake in the last unstable, (or something specific to this install) in which case it won't I guess. :D
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: FEBE not working in last unstable version

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-17, 13:22

Obviously, there's no support for using a discontinued unstable channel browser.
I don't know about FEBE but if they use FUEL then the extension must be updated before 29.5.0 is released, as I stated in the release notes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-09-17, 17:54

See this thread (and this post).
Also see posts by astewart, here and here, who found a way to edit the extension so it works for him.

(A forum search would have helped you out.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-17, 17:58

Editing extensions is a piss poor non-replacement for a proper fork.

astewart
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by astewart » 2021-09-17, 19:54

An update by the original author would be best, but I see no way to contact him. Do the devs or anyone have a contact for Chuck Baker?

Since I can't make a request to him, I posted my test changes to show that the addon is easily fixed with the author's own code. I am not recommending that everyone edit their copy, but showing that a fork/fix would be possible/simple.

I won't be the fork author because I am not in a position to guarantee continuing support and more changes will be needed when install.rdf goes away. I wouldn't "fork and walk away" as has been decried already. I have done "lifetime" support for 40 years and that's the only way I would publish a package with my name on it.
Editing extensions is a piss poor non-replacement for a proper fork.
Losing a unique addon is a piss poor non-replacement for editing extensions.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-17, 19:56

He "retired" around when it became clear he would have to do significant work to his extension. This has been mentioned elsewhere.

astewart
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by astewart » 2021-09-17, 20:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-09-17, 19:56
he would have to do significant work to his extension.
The FUEL fix is trivial and, though I don't know details yet, the upcoming rdf to json change doesn't sound difficult. Do you have in mind some other specific changes that would impact FEBE more?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2021-09-17, 21:00

If you're that invested in it and think the changes are easy, why not become maintainer of a FEBE fork?
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

astewart
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by astewart » 2021-09-17, 21:18

Admin wrote:
2021-09-17, 21:00
If you're that invested in it and think the changes are easy, why not become maintainer of a FEBE fork?
I didn't say all changes will be easy. I said those two may be, and what else is coming that will not be easy?

And I already said why I won't be a fork maintainer. Do you want an unsupported fork? I'm 73 and a full time caregiver. I don't promise I'll even be here when the next change requirement comes down the road. I only poke around in code on those nights when I'm up in the wee hours.

I enjoy Pale Moon, I've made donations, and for decades I've enjoyed writing code, but I'm not "invested" in an addon or a browser or an internet. Reality is a bit larger than all of them.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-09-18, 00:24

astewart wrote:
2021-09-17, 21:18
and what else is coming that will not be easy?
Probably the changes detailed here, starting from: "Let me lay out what is coming next for Pale Moon et all:"

astewart wrote:
2021-09-17, 19:54
An update by the original author would be best, but I see no way to contact him.
Given the discussion above, I expect this is moot for you.
But for info, and for others reading here:

1. Contact:
-- He seems to respond to questions on his mozillazine thread.
-- He has also posted on this forum in response to a couple of people who contacted him privately via his forum profile.
-- Lastly, there is a contact email on his website's FEBE page (bottom left, to see it hover on his name "Chuck Baker")

2. Ext. updates
As mentioned in the thread linked in my earlier post, Chuck Baker said he has retired from developing his extensions for health reasons, and he suggested they should be forked:
Shadoefax on moZillazine wrote: As I have mentioned in other posts, I am no longer maintaining my extensions (I am retired due to medical issues).

Perhaps there are other developers out there that would be willing to fork any/all my extensions.

astewart
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by astewart » 2021-09-18, 04:08

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-09-18, 00:24
astewart wrote:
2021-09-17, 21:18
and what else is coming that will not be easy?
Probably the changes detailed here, starting from: "Let me lay out what is coming next for Pale Moon et all:"
I read that when it was posted. The only specific changes mentioned there are the dual GUID (already gone) and the rdf / json changes. No other specific difficult addon changes are detailed. The rest is about support functions.
coffeebreak wrote:

-- Lastly, there is a contact email on his website's FEBE page (bottom left, to see it hover on his name "Chuck Baker")
I missed that. Just glossed over the link right next to it.
coffeebreak wrote:
Shadoefax on moZillazine wrote:
I never expect to find anything useful for Pale Moon at a mozillazine link. I am surprised that he didn't suggest his own code replacement listed in the FEBE page version history 5 years ago. That's why I figured it would work. I don't presume to understand the rest of his code.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-09-18, 12:32

You make a login here:
https://addons.palemoon.org/panel/
(slight nuisance coming up with "Yet Another Login!" and saving it somewhere safe I know...) then upload the modified xpi which you already have fixed. AFAIK that's all there is too it, other than waiting about for "approval" perhaps, and if it stops working and you can't fix it then at least it worked a while longer, nothing is forever. I tried to upload a modified Yandex search plugin there with the new logo but it won't accept that type of file, but it should be fine with an xpi addon because it kept telling me to upload an xpi not an xml. So scarcely any harder than posting your revisions here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-18, 16:38

If it is not a proper fork it won't be approved. Do NOT even register if you aren't serious.

Also, I don't care for your dismissive attitude Lunokhod .. You are on notice.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-09-18, 23:39

Sorry, you are quite right, I was only trying to be encouraging, yet clearly spoke out of place. Also having migrated from unstable to stable now, for me this is done, so thank you to the FEBE developers for your time saving help, but do not feel obliged to carry this burden forward on my account, rather if you feel others than myself will benefit. I've probably been spending too much time lately on idle chat rather than doing something useful (elsewhere mostly), so shall seek to redress the balance. Thank you for your assistance and helpful pointers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-19, 13:56

Lunokhod wrote:
2021-09-18, 23:39
having migrated from unstable to stable now, for me this is done
You do realise that the next stable release will bring this problem back for you, right?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite