Is there any addon similar to Open in IE

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

irvinehooi

Is there any addon similar to Open in IE

Unread post by irvinehooi » 2021-08-18, 02:09

Hi,

I would like to check with you all is there any addon that works similar to "Open in IE" or "IE View" addon in Firefox ?

I've been long time using those mentioned addon with me. After upgraded to the latest Palemoon these addons no longer works in Palemoon anymore.

Can someone help to me is there such an addons available for Palemoon ? Because I've searched the addons page in Palemoon website and I seem can't find any of it.

Thanks in advance.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Is there any addon similar to Open in IE

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-18, 02:18

You obviously didn't search hard enough.. https://addons.palemoon.org/search/?terms=open+with -> https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/openwithieedge/.

Such a disappointment.

irvinehooi

Unread post by irvinehooi » 2021-08-18, 02:35

Hi,

I've tried that before. It is not the one I want. The one that I want is the addon that allow me to specify a specific URL in the addon to open in IE which means my users only click on the specified link and it will automatically open in IE.
Because I'm supporting a group of doctors and most of them are already used to click on the specified link and will automatically open in IE.

Anyway thanks for the comment.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-18, 02:36

Then go fork the original extension, license permitting.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-18, 08:52

irvinehooi wrote:
2021-08-18, 02:35
It is not the one I want.
If you won't accept alternatives and need a very specific implementation then forking the exact one (if allowed) is your only recourse.
If licensing doesn't allow it then you are out of luck and you will have to either get the original extension author to give you permission or write something you want exactly yourself.
irvinehooi wrote:
Because I'm supporting a group of doctors
I'm sure the doctors you are supporting will be able to chip in for you hiring a coder if you can't do it yourself. Sounds to me like this is a matter of convenience and not critical functionality as well, so... you can also provide clear instructions to them (which is also support!) how to use an alternative. I know, change is difficult. Just do it
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-08-20, 03:32

Open With 6.8.6 works very well for me. It is available at Classic Add-ons Archive. Much of the stuff there will not work "out of the box" with the current version of Pale Moon, but Open With is an exception. It does target Pale Moon, so you can install it as is.

caa:addon/open-with
open.jpg

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-20, 06:17

That isn't a Pale Moon extension though.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-20, 21:07

Open With works extremely well for me too.

V6.8 through 6.8.6 is a Pale Moon extension, PM support was added in v6.8.

Version history from AMO / archive.org:
openwith-versions-wayback.png
It should be possible to install (or get the xpi) from GitHub and archive.org in addition to CAA.

irvinehooi wrote:
the addon that allow me to specify a specific URL in the addon to open in IE
I've never tried this myself, but it does allow command line arguments. Don't know if that could accomplish what you want, you might take a look at the wiki.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-20, 21:27

Why don't you contact the developer to come back to their extension and submit it to the Add-ons Site.

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-08-21, 03:55

The developer, Geoff Lankow (goes by darktrojan at GitHub), responded to an issue with Pale Moon back in 2017 by saying he didn't support Pale Moon and did not intend to. JustOff got involved and offered to help. Lankow said go for it. I believe that the update to support Pale Moon came from him.

I'm not looking to reopen old wounds, but I don't think that hosting the extension here is in the cards.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-21, 08:45

If there's no intention to -actually- support Pale Moon by the initial author and it's only been a "by the way" thing to make it install 4 years ago, then there's only one option:
Fork it
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-21, 12:02

Moonchild wrote:
2021-08-21, 08:45
a "by the way" thing to make it install 4 years ago
To be fair... It wasn't a "thing to make it install" (it did install at the time).
Rather, it was a thing to fix bugs with intent to keep it working for Pale Moon for the future.

Geoff Lankow agreed to add PM support on condition that the person offering the relevant patches would accept ongoing maintenance responsibility for future Pale Moon-related issues, per this exchange (comment1, comment2).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-22, 10:26

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-08-21, 12:02
Rather, it was a thing to fix bugs with intent to keep it working for Pale Moon for the future.
No, it wasn't; judging by the info it was a "sure, I'll add a Pale Moon application block but I'm not actually going to maintain or support it", i.e. it would shut people up asking for it with no interest or intent to actually do what they should to "keep it working for Pale Moon", delegating that responsibility to people who also didn't have long-term interest.

So, I stand by my previous post: there was no real interest by the author and it should be forked if people want it.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-22, 15:40

Moonchild wrote:
2021-08-22, 10:26
it was a "sure, I'll add a Pale Moon application block but I'm not actually going to maintain or support it"
Well, he agreed to accept the support patch contingent on the person who offered it (JustOff) agreeing to maintain or support the extension with respect to Pale Moon.

Future events will certainly show, one way or other, how well the (delegated) support persists.

----------
Summary:

At the time, people were asking for support not to make it install, but to get some bugs fixed.

As I read it, the patches (pull reqs 123, 124) were offered in corresponding spirit, to fix the bugs, and with a willingness to stay available to fix future bugs:

developer's comment: "if you're prepared to deal with any Pale Moon issues that arise (you clearly know how this stuff works), I will land these changes."

responding comment: "Yes, I will be glad to help you to deal with possible future Pale Moon specific issues. ..."
----------

Moonchild wrote:
2021-08-22, 10:26
delegating that responsibility to people who also didn't have long-term interest.
I realize there are differences between this project's management and JustOff who made the support patch(es).

But I hope that the decision whether to use this extension will be left to the individual user.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-22, 16:05

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-08-22, 15:40
"Yes, I will be glad to help you to deal with possible future Pale Moon specific issues. ..."
So... talk to JustOff then. we can't do anything about it if he's the one maintaining it. Considering he packed up and left any of his extensions are purely handled and supported by him directly.
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-08-22, 15:40
I hope that the decision whether to use this extension will be left to the individual user.
I'm not sure what you're implying here but users are free to install whatever Pale Moon extensions they want, as long as they don't pose a danger or cause damage to the level where we have to blocklist them.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-22, 16:34

Moonchild wrote:
2021-08-22, 16:05
"Yes, I will be glad to help you to deal with possible future Pale Moon specific issues. ..."
That quote was mis-attributed to me.
To clarify, I am not the one who said that, JustOff said it. I had quoted him earlier, from his GitHub comment.
Moonchild wrote:
talk to JustOff then.
For myself, I am happy to use the extension as it currently is, where it currently is.
Moonchild wrote:
but users are free to install whatever Pale Moon extensions they want, as long as they don't pose a danger or cause damage to the level where we have to blocklist them.
Then all is good.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-22, 16:39

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-08-22, 16:34
That quote was mis-attributed to me.
sorry for the unclear quote.
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-08-22, 16:34
Then all is good.
I'm not even sure why this is even in question. We've never arbitrarily prevented extensions "because we don't like it or the maintainer". If extensions get blocked there are clear and objective reasons for it. That has always been the case.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-22, 17:56

Our blocklist for extensions follows the spirit for which it originated NOT as it was used in Mozilla this past decade. Anything that is fraudulent, a major privacy risk, security risks of any degree, or broadly busts the application or platform would qualify. We hating scumbags would not in and of its self.

However, scumbags would be more closely scrutinized for intent than say Falna making an unwise mistake while learning.