Cut the UI out of YouTube

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Cut the UI out of YouTube

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-22, 03:29

If you're sick of YouTube's bullshit, try out uTube, an extension to redirect video and playlist pages to the embedded versions.

No more slow page loads, no more ads first thing, no more toxic comment section, just the video you wanted to see!

PS: This extension was conceived of and written in one hour. And most of that was choosing the font to use for the "U" in the icon. It makes it look like the YouTube logo is being garroted. I like it.

Edit: Because some videos apparently need a webserver, I've redirected everything to a page on my website. The page's source code, in its entirety is available here. If you want to host your own version of this html file for privacy reasons, be my guest! Version 1.3 lets you choose a URL to use via about:config (see the release notes for details).
Last edited by RealityRipple on 2021-07-22, 07:01, edited 2 times in total.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Cut the UI out of YouTube

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-07-22, 06:38

I really like the idea of this, but I can't play YT vids using this addon?

I get the following error
uTube.JPG
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-22, 07:06

I tried loading https://realityripple.com/Software/Mozilla-Extensions/uTube/play.html#QhPn5EPGN4c and it worked fine for me. Try the following:
  • Hard reload using ctrl+f5
  • Disable uBlock Origin (Which, isn't that not good with Pale Moon? Pretty sure you're supposed to use AdBlock Latitude for best results)
  • Load the URL directly in a blank profile

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-22, 07:38

RealityRipple wrote:
2021-07-22, 07:06
Which, isn't that not good with Pale Moon?
No, it runs fine..you can whitelist Youtube on it, or look at the log to turn off the filters in effect on the page.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-22, 08:48

Version 1.4 adds automatic error message detection and falls back to the standard YouTube page for the video or playlist if it can't be played via embed.

Also, that's the same error I was getting using the raw embedded URL method. Makes me think it might also potentially be related to cookies or localStorage or something. If you can add my site to any whitelists you may have regarding that, it may get it working. Just don't forget to undo any changes that don't help.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-25, 09:51

Reading the YouTube Terms of Service to see if I should submit this for inclusion in the public add-ons list, and I came across this line:
You are not allowed to:
[...]
2. circumvent, disable, fraudulently engage with, or otherwise interfere with any part of the Service (or attempt to do any of these things), including security-related features or features that (a) prevent or restrict the copying or other use of Content or (b) limit the use of the Service or Content;
I'm gonna play it safe for now and keep it as a "my-site exclusive", I think. Technically, it does limit the service by the "interference" of a redirect, though only because of their choice on the way embedded videos work.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2021-07-25, 13:51

The extension works great for the particular video you want to watch, but to get to that video, you still have to go through the long page load if you're visiting: https://www.youtube.com or for example: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpsSad ... UwQ/videos

Would it be possible to have it redirect the entire YouTube site (maybe in preferences, if so desired) so waiting on the page loads doesn't take me to my next birthday?

I visit over 40 YT pages daily and it would be a great time saver. Currently I use CloudTube to avoid the YT frontend.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-25, 15:37

Youtube videos can only be embedded if the uploaded allows it, AFAIK. I've had the same problem with PMPlayer being unable to display some videos, and I don't think you can figure out in advance whether a video can be embedded. So you will have no luck with official videos from music labels, film studios and the like.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-25, 15:47

@LAR Grizzly: That's a bit more than I wanted the scope of this project to handle, especially since I initially didn't even want to use an alternate page at all but instead show the embedded url directly, as the "extensions.utube.hosted" pref still allows for. That being said, it would definitely be possible to fork this extension and make one that auto-redirects from YouTube to CloudTube fairly easily. Personally I usually just use Google to find the video I want.

@moonbat: Hence the detection of error messages that redirects to the official page in v1.4. That's about the best I can do for such situations.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-25, 15:52

So it uses embeds when possible? I don't think that is a problem on our end as long as it isn't violating intellectual property along the way like a ytdownloader and as Moonbat said and you reiterated it doesn't actually bypass the site's normal operations like when embeds are disabled.

So all in all it should be fine for external as long as it doesn't cross those lines.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-25, 16:01

Hmmm... I guess so, but I do still feel like it's close enough to skirting a terms violation that it could go either way depending on how good of a lawyer argues the case. And I guess since all my listed extensions are externally hosted, that does still keep you guys safe from being involved in any litigation. I'll give it a few more days anyway, in case there's additional bugs or issues I haven't noticed yet.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-25, 16:58

Oh stop.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-26, 07:43

I don't think there's a legal issue with using embeds when the video author has themselves allowed them to be used. It is technically the same whether you embed it on another site or display it in an extension and nothing is being circumvented.

emigrant
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by emigrant » 2021-08-06, 13:53

Thanks for this small but great add-on. :clap:

Would it be possible to add a button with which I can switch the add-on on and off?

Yesterday I had the case where I wanted to subscribe to a channel but couldn't get out of the embedded video.

:wave:

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-06, 21:00

emigrant wrote:
2021-08-06, 13:53
Would it be possible to add a button with which I can switch the add-on on and off?
In the bottom left corner of a video before you hit play, it has that "watch on youtube" link. Clicking it will load the official site. You can also manually add "#skipU" to the end of any video URL to prevent the extension from doing its thing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-06, 21:07

So would you possibly add a button with which we can switch the add-on on and off? ;)

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-06, 21:20

If the existing feature isn't functional enough, sure. I'd rather do that than make it a restartless add-on.

emigrant
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by emigrant » 2021-08-07, 02:23

Okay, forget it. My mistake. The button on the bottom left is quite enough. Could it be that this didn't work in an older version of the add-on? I'm pretty sure I tried that once, but ended up back in the embedded video. :think:

But a restartless version would be nice too.

:wave:

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-08-07, 02:36

Yes, it's a new feature in the latest version.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-07, 09:23

emigrant wrote:
2021-08-07, 02:23
But a restartless version would be nice too.
Please no.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite