Dual Pane Bookmarks Organizer can't install

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Dual Pane Bookmarks Organizer can't install

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-07-04, 15:22

Greetings!

I am writing here, because I see no support link on the extension page.

I just tried to install Dual Pane Bookmarks Organizer and received the message that it cannot be installed because Pale Moon cannot modify the needed file. What might this mean, and how can I fix it?

Running PM 29.2.2 64-bit at the moment.

Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Dual Pane Bookmarks Organizer can't install

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-04, 16:50

VLMin wrote:
2021-07-04, 15:22
Running PM 29.2.2 64-bit at the moment.
Well maybe it's because you're not running an official version then :lol:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-07-04, 18:38

Hahahaha! Typo ... the version # is 29.1.1!

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-07-04, 22:11

I updated PM to 29.2.1, and the problem persists.

Massacre
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Massacre » 2021-10-09, 14:05

I confirm the problem (29.4.1 32-bit) and I wonder, how to troubleshoot it...

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-10-09, 14:48

It seems to have installed for me. But I have no idea how to use it so I don't know if it's working properly.

EDIT
After further testing, it seems to work as intended. It's a cool little extension. :thumbup:

Kruppt
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Kruppt » 2021-10-09, 16:30

The extension installs and works properly installed on Pale Moon v29.4.1.
32bit and 64bit on GNU/Linux.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-10-09, 17:46

Is it possible another extension is conflicting with its installation? To rule that out I suggest those who are having problems with this add-on create a new clean user profile and try to install it there (that is, if this scenario is even possible).

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-10-09, 20:23

@VLMin: Agree that Dual Pane Bookmarks Organizer extension will not complete loading onto my current Pale Moon set-up (PM 29.4.1 32bit + several extensions, several CSS scripts, permanent Private Browsing). Same error message on identical Pale Moon instances on both Win7 & Win10 machines.

Then tried loading onto a clean Profile on both Win7 & Win 10 machines (no alterations, no extensions, no scripts, no Private Browsing)... and same "cannot modify the needed file" error message:

Total Bookmarks won't load.png

Not aware which Pale Moon file Dual Pane Bookmarks Organizer requires to modify?

A puzzle for now... unusual as Dual Pane Bookmarks Organizer loaded correctly for ron_1 & Kruppt above? :problem:

PS. FWIW - This online query seemingly from the original 'Total Bookmarks' extension developer is the only info I could find online: https://sudonull.com/post/122688-Two-pa ... x-on-ExtJS
Last edited by Blacklab on 2021-10-09, 22:18, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-09, 22:06

The issue is a Windows technical limitation. For some unknown reason this extension specifies to be unpacked onto the filesystem so it is subject to filesystem path length limitations on Windows. Which seems to be 260 chars for the entire path. So a typical path of C:\Users\mattatobin\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\a1ofeydj.default\extensions\staged\{17a391b8-3af1-46a6-a84c-76d8cb0c9ede}\chrome\content\extjs\resources\ext-theme-classic\images\btn-group\btn-group-default-framed-notitle-corners.gif is 2 chars too long.

I am not sure why this extension needs to be unpacked or why there is such a complex tree structure within the extension. But this is the issue. Lootyhoof who reviewed this extension is on linux so he wouldn't have caught it and someone with a shorter username than I have in default locations or using an alt profile location with a shorter basepath wouldn't have caught it either.

Given this developer's only known contact info is the e-mail address used for their Phoebus Account I will ping him about it. Either figuring out IF this extension can function while not being unpacked or changing the complexity of the local tree will resolve this issue.

That and not using ridiculously long version numbers and compatibility info for versions of Pale Moon that he obviously hasn't tested with and maxVersion to something that doesn't exist also needs to be addressed in my opinion. For now I am going to disable the extension until things get resolved across the board.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-10-09, 22:47

@ New Tobin Paradigm: Thanks very much for answer Re: Windows max file path length = 260 characters. :D

FWIW - I have run into this 'Windows max file path length' problem numerous times trying to transfer or delete excessively long epub book titles... which publishers seem to be addicted to for some strange reason? :thumbdown: Their fondness for using Zip files with same huge title not helpful either.

(PS. BTW - Shortening the book title/file name (to reduce total file path length to under 260 characters) is then the only way Windows will allow you to move or delete the file... and just occasionally Windows 'sticks' and will not permit you to shorten the overlong file name! A workaround is to use the 'Search Everything' Windows utility from Voidtools. Search and locate your 'stuck' file with its overlong name using 'Everything' tool... and within Everything list you can proceed to shorten the file name... and then Windows will at last allow you to move or delete file as normal. )

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2021-10-10, 00:39

From past experiences fighting tricky malware i think \\?\C:\Users\mattatobin\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\a1ofeydj.default\extensions\staged\{17a391b8-3af1-46a6-a84c-76d8cb0c9ede}\chrome\content\extjs\resources\ext-theme-classic\images\btn-group\btn-group-default-framed-notitle-corners.gif should work in batch scripts and the comand line

Windows is a descendant of the stone age.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-10, 00:47

Well that won't help because the fileio win32 api still has a path limit and that is what the platform codebase uses. Though newer versions of Windows 10 has a regkey that increases it. However, it isn't default and of course older versions still have the limit..

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-10-10, 01:33

So I noticed that this extension has been pulled off the add-on's site. Was there something wrong with it besides the issue(s) mentioned here?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-10, 03:17

I directly said why.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-10-10, 04:40

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-10-09, 22:06
For now I am going to disable the extension until things get resolved across the board.
Somehow I missed this.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-10-10, 17:34

The bookmarks organizer is already dual pane. One side is a folder pane and the other is a list of bookmarks in a folder.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-10, 18:44

Goodydino wrote:
2021-10-10, 17:34
The bookmarks organizer is already dual pane.
There seems more to to than that, it provides its own approach for organizing.
(I'm not that familiar, but did install it briefly yesterday.)

Since it was a fork of "Total bookmarks" of Sergey Galushkin, people who want to see what it's like might look at that one:
caa:addon/total-bookmarks
https://web.archive.org/web/2018*/https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/total-bookmarks/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-10, 21:46

They should have called the fork "Bookmarks Commander" since it is obviously trying to emulate a Total Commander (or other such dual pane file manager) type interface which is why it was called Total Bookmarks.

Proteus
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Proteus » 2021-11-09, 14:26

I apologise for not responding at all. I am the developer of the extension.
Given this developer's only known contact info is the e-mail address used for their Phoebus Account I will ping him about it.
Unfortunately, your message ended up in the spam folder, so I only found it after reading your post here.

Well, I'm not really a developer. I merely reworked the existing code of the original extension.

I also only use Linux. That's why I couldn't notice the problem with the length of the file paths in Windows.

Thank you all for the tips.
I am not sure why this extension needs to be unpacked or why there is such a complex tree structure within the extension.
I have adapted the extension so that it is no longer unpacked during installation. The complex directory structure comes from the original extension, so I won't change that for now.

I have uploaded the adapted extension again. I would be happy if the Windows users would test it.

Thank you very much.