Add-on update log? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Squirrel42
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Add-on update log?

Unread post by Squirrel42 » 2021-06-15, 14:21

When I use the "Check for updates" function for the add-ons, and I get the "no updates found" (except when there was at least one update, of course), I do not know whether there are no updates or whether an update failed, e.g. because the server is currently not reachable, no update address given inside of the add-on, spelling mistake in the add-on's update address, add-on update site moved from A to B, ...
Is there a way to see some listing like
add-on: name - version - update url - result: updated/up to date/url not found/something else
?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Add-on update log?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-15, 14:44

1. Go to Web Developer/Developer Tools -> Browser Console
  2. Click the little trashcan in the top left to clear the display
  3. Open the add-ons manager
  4. In the gear menu, click "check for updates"
  5. Wait until it's done checking
If there were any issues with add-on updates, you will see it in the browser console.

e.g.:

Code: Select all

1623767935704	addons.update-checker	WARN	update.rdf: Update manifest for xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx did not contain an updates property
Meaning the update URL was valid but the add-on update server did not return a proper or an empty update (e.g. when an add-on is no longer present/active on our add-ons site)

Code: Select all

1623767935392	addons.update-checker	WARN	Request failed: https://some.custom.updateserver.com/update.rdf - 404: Not Found
The Update URL was wrong.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Squirrel42
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Add-on update log?

Unread post by Squirrel42 » 2021-06-15, 15:08

:thumbup: Thank you very much, this works!
For example now I know:
"Update manifest for en-GB@dictionaries.thereisonlyxul.org did not contain an updates property"