Request for a translate page add-on

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

SkyPeppers

Request for a translate page add-on

Unread post by SkyPeppers » 2021-06-01, 02:32

I understand this has already been suggested but it has been kind of thrown under the rug. If anyone could work on a translate page add-on that would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2021-07-15, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ...Because the original topic title was just terrible.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: I understand this has already been suggested

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-01, 02:38

Translation extensions are inevitably going to be service extensions. Unless you also provide the service, this usually means making use of an API you don't own or operate (and often aren't licensed to use on an unknown number of client machines). So it's not so much "thrown under the rug" as it is simply neither feasible nor legal to do in most cases.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-01, 03:55

One has to be really committed to provide and deal with all the hangups of service extensions. We are still trying to get people to fork otherwise working extensions and having a hell of a time with that. Hell we are having a hard time getting people to fork EXISTING PALE MOON EXTENSIONS that have been abandoned or otherwise abused.

There is even a subset of users who for some reason don't know forks exists and some of those who didn't even know we HAD an Add-ons Site.

Also see: http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/phoenix-extensions/

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-01, 06:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-01, 03:55
There is even a subset of users who for some reason don't know forks exists and some of those who didn't even know we HAD an Add-ons Site.
These are the ones for whom PM is nothing more than a placeholder to run old FF extensions that they've ported over with their old profile from back in the day when PM-FF profile switching was possible, and who have probably complained the loudest.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Squirrel42
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Squirrel42 » 2021-07-14, 16:22

The extension GeoFlag by RealityRipple is a port of Flagfox for Pale Moon.

https://realityripple.com/Software/Mozilla-Extensions/GeoFlag/

Right-clicking the flag icon opens a menu containing "Automatic translation to your language" - well, it forwards the current url to Google Translate, i.e. no translation of local pages or ones behind paywalls, but this usually is great enough. Remember to click "translate..." at the Google Translate page, otherwise it does not start translating.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2021-07-14, 17:08

There is a source-open translator that one could host for oneself: Libre Translate. Its quality is below DeepL’s, which I use myself, but if somebody would like to create a translating extension without licencing concerns, I believe this might somehow enable him.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-14, 20:23

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2021-07-14, 17:08
if somebody would like to create a translating extension without licencing concerns, I believe this might somehow enable him.
As long as they are willing to run their own API service on a server, of course... So they won't just be making and extension they would also be maintaining the back-end service for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2021-07-15, 16:51

In addition to above, google translate bookmarklet may do the trick.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Request for a translate page add-on

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-07-17, 02:29

You could do it indirectly by first installing Greasemonkey / Guerilla Scripting then look here, there seems to be Google and deepl, perhaps try some other search terms too:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts?q=translation

I did use a translation add on a few years ago for Firefox that worked but then stopped as somehow it had used up the creators translation word limit when more people started using it, I think that's the kind of problem there might be.

Yandex translate is pretty useful too, I think it's an especially good option when dealing with Russian, it ought to be. :D
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2021-07-17, 07:47

I'm using caa:addon/s3google-translator . It can translate a phrase on a page (select - pop-up with translate, read aloud, copy) and has a pencil-like icon for translating a page.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-17, 11:39

Giraffe wrote:
2021-07-17, 07:47
caa:addon/s3google-translator
Both an extension that is violating author's rights and doesn't even work in current Pale Moon because it's a legacy Firefox add-on. Why do you even bring it up?

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2021-07-17, 12:12

Moonchild wrote:
2021-07-17, 11:39
Giraffe wrote:
2021-07-17, 07:47
caa:addon/s3google-translator
Both an extension that is violating author's rights and doesn't even work in current Pale Moon because it's a legacy Firefox add-on. Why do you even bring it up?
It's Classic Add-ons Archive, so I assume that it's OK.
I'm using v5.35 in PM 29.2.1 and it's working with no warnings; I've not modified it at all.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-18, 23:19

Here: https://realityripple.com/Software/Mozilla-Extensions/BabbleOn/

30 very short lines of code. Detect if a document has <html lang="">, compare to navigator.languages, redirect to Google Translated version if it doesn't match.

No blacklist, no language selection, no configuration of any sort.