GTK2 / GTK3 - Display problems with Scrapbook X

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: GTK2 / GTK3 - Display problems with Scrapbook X

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-31, 22:33

I got held back because I forgot to update the Platform repo before building.. But after testing a multitude of GTK3 themes I have determined that SeaMonkey's size settings were sloppy as well as the fact that the dropmarker in this case is determined by not ONLY the width of the button but ALSO the height of it.

So my testing that produced the most consistent results across the majority of GTK3 themes tested (which were the converted MATE themes plus some others I loaded in) were that this has to be set at min-width: 2.5em; AND min-height: 2.25em; The min-height on the menulist button does influence the overall height of the editable menulist so I had to pick sizes that wouldn't be ridiculous AND would present in MOST CASES a dropmarker that was as close as possible to the one in a normal menu list or at LEAST something reasonable.

At only min-width 2em; left the dropmarker barely bigger than a dot on half the themes.

OF COURSE, this can all be avoided if we just provide our own dropmarkers across the board for GTK3 but that would be inconsistent with native styling. So this is the best compromise I could come up with. As such, I am going to commit it as the fix for this issue. We may have to re-evaluate exactly how we deal with GTK3 (and likely 4) in the future because relying on purely native just doesn't seem to work out as well as we would like for some controls. It is likely that the solution for some other long standing GTK3 display bugs, namely tabs on property sheets, will need direct theming overrides to deal with them as well.

Damn Gnome for what they have done.

AS AN ASIDE, Pale Moon's default theme needs some serious work regarding the address bar for GTK3. It looks terrible with the blue/green SSL states.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: GTK2 / GTK3 - Display problems with Scrapbook X

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-01, 02:23

Gnome.. it rhymes with Chrome.. What did I expect, really...