[DPMO] Firefox Extension Request and Fork List

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

[DPMO] Firefox Extension Request and Fork List

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-13, 10:03

So. I promised a master list of sorts for the Open Casting Call and other related threads as well as a list for riiis extensions. WELL I HAVE DONE ONE BETTER AND INCLUDED JUSTOFF EXTENSIONS TOO.. And that's not all. With the help of some others.. We ran down current forks that exist on the Pale Moon Add-ons Site, as requested.

This is still a work in progress as I have only processed the casting call thread not those that were post-lock or post-29.2.0. So please don't be adding that stuff here.. It will come soon.. But I need rest.

Anyway, here is the page on DPMO you can link to your friends: http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/phoenix-extensions/

I am sure the JustOff Reddit Shithole (JRS for short) will flip regarding this page.. But that is there and this is here.. and HERE we like Pale Moon extensions. We like when we can find them and we like when people create then from scratch or fork them from Unmaintained Firefox Extensions. So do one if not both by checking out that page!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: [DPMO] Firefox Extension Request and Fork List

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-13, 11:01

Update alert is a fork of Update Scanner, not SiteDelta. It's a substitute at best.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-13, 11:07

PR fix it.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-13, 11:11

Oops, my bad. I was the one who added that. I was supposed to only put direct forks for now... :oops:

But the third column says "Fork / Replacement", so I guess it counts?

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-05-13, 11:23

Great initiative!

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-13, 11:42

Great work preparing the list, thanks! I've created a PR for my recently activated fork of "DblClicker" (it's called "Double-click Tweaks"). Other than that, going through the list, I've noticed that "Open With" is on there but version 6.8.6 already targets Pale Moon, if I'm not mistaken. I'm currently using it.

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2021-05-13, 12:38

htuyar wrote:
2021-05-13, 11:42
Great work preparing the list, thanks! I've created a PR for my recently activated fork of "DblClicker" (it's called "Double-click Tweaks"). Other than that, going through the list, I've noticed that "Open With" is on there but version 6.8.6 already targets Pale Moon, if I'm not mistaken. I'm currently using it.
DblClicker is one that I requested, so much appreciate your expertise and taking the time to fork it. Many thanks! :)

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-13, 12:44

@htuyar It'd be great if you add "dblclicker" as one of your fork's search terms.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2021-05-13, 12:47

I'm ready to fork FLST, but last problem is the license. Nothing inside extension states it outright(there is just blocks ststing author and ocassionaly that it is based on other FLST by different authors) and AMO had MPL 2.0(but it is unreliable). What should i do?

Also, just for the record - i'm considering forking Tab Scope(possible with merger with Tab scope tweaker). It's tri-license, but doesn't state that it applies to all files. So code is forkable with replacement of graphics and branding/name?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-13, 12:58

Nuck-TH wrote:
2021-05-13, 12:47
It's tri-license, but doesn't state that it applies to all files. So code is forkable with replacement of graphics and branding/name?
Yeah, if there is no explicit mention of license for icons/branding then it is under copyright. Best outcome would be if you can contact the author and they themselves decide to publish it for Pale Moon. If you do, ask them if you can reuse the artwork and/or name.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-13, 13:32

Scribe wrote:
2021-05-13, 12:38
DblClicker is one that I requested, so much appreciate your expertise and taking the time to fork it. Many thanks! :)
So nice to hear that, thank you!

@jobbautista9: Right, why didn't I think of that? Done, thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-13, 13:51

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-13, 11:01
Update alert is a fork of Update Scanner, not SiteDelta. It's a substitute at best.
The third column should list potential replacements if no direct fork exists. Not all of the extensions are going to be forked, certainly not if functionality is going to be extremely similar; it's the reality of simply not having a decade of active extensions developers ourselves. Perhaps it just needs a Replacement label in the first column?
But that page should be a guide to find replacements for them as well as direct forks if none exist. It's for the users.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-13, 14:15

Here's hoping they actually look at it first before asking for extensions, especially stuff like Keepass that has been asked dozens of times despite explaining why it isn't forkable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-13, 14:16

Well if they don't they can get a form reply "Please look here first. if still no joy then come back."
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-13, 20:19

Replacements rather than direct forks are a judgement call. I wanted to focus on direct forks first because a lot of users never bothered, it seems, to ever get the forks that have been around for a while. I also wanted to get something actually out there too.

However, you are correct that replacements should and will go there as well.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2021-05-14, 01:16

What about first part of my questions?
Nuck-TH wrote:
2021-05-13, 12:47
I'm ready to fork FLST, but last problem is the license. Nothing inside extension states it outright(there is just blocks ststing author and ocassionaly that it is based on other FLST by different authors) and AMO had MPL 2.0(but it is unreliable). What should i do?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-14, 01:24

Off-topic:
Isn't this off-topic to this thread? Also what is a FLST? As far as licenses go..

You can only act in good faith with what information is available. If there is none then the good faith decision is Copyright, All Rights Reserved. If it says MPL 2.0 then the good faith decision IS it is MPL 2.0 until and unless new information presents its self like in the case of that S3 guy or riiis. Open Source development tends to be an exercise in good faith acting and when someone along the chain breaks that then it not only damages the original or upstream but also anyone downstream and you would have every right to be as pissed as the person who created it originally. Still it would not be your fault but you will have to remedy it. If you don't ONLY THEN would you be culpable.

Of course the next item on the agenda is to hunt down the fraudulent bastard and make sure everyone knows just what sort of criminal scumbag they are. Just make sure it isn't you by acting properly if such a situation happens.

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-05-16, 00:48

Forkable Open With
This extension already targets Pale Moon. The link goes to CAA. Most recent version is 6.8.6 and I have been using it without problems over a year at least. The "More" link on the installed extension lists the author home page here:
https://github.com/darktrojan/openwith

However, I can't find that version on GitHub, but then I have never found GitHub easy to navigate. Maybe 6.8.6 is there and can be linked if it is desired to have an alternative to CAA.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-16, 01:53

merry mimas

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-16, 03:26

Github releases without aus aren't useful. So they need to submit it become external or someone needs to fork it.