YouTube has apparently gotten around ABL

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

AdderTude
Moongazer
Moongazer

YouTube has apparently gotten around ABL

Unread post by AdderTude » 2021-05-06, 17:18

I started noticing this late last night, but it seems like Google has discovered a way around AdBlock Latitude 5.0.8 as YouTube now has ads at the start of every video I open despite having ABL active and up-to-date. Any suggestions on what I could do? Already tried removing and reinstalling the extension.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: YouTube has apparently gotten around ABL

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-07, 03:45

Your adblocker is only as good as the filters you use. It is not a magic button that you turn on and forget about. Block doubleclick.net and all its subdomains and you're set.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-05-07, 14:54

No ads here on ABL, 2 pc's, one is Pale Moon, one is Basilisk.

Yarrcanite

Unread post by Yarrcanite » 2021-05-07, 19:18

Using Basilisk and Adblock Latitude, Youtube is getting ads through, they only started today (friday, 7.5.)...

||doubleclick.net* is in the list of blocks, it's getting hits but not blocking the ads.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-07, 20:13

Clearly it's time to stop using YouTube.

Some ads might be served directly "in stream", so blocking them would also block the actual video.
I'm speculating though, so take it however you want.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-05-07, 20:58

Just wait until they make it a pay for premium service.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-05-07, 22:24

Off-topic:
vannilla wrote:
2021-05-07, 20:13
Clearly it's time to stop using YouTube.
Don't see why that needed to be stricken through.

If there were some way to fully abandon it without losing most of its practical functionality, I for one would probably endorse that way in a minute.

But since Google's way of dealing with all the copyright problems that so many YouTube videos cause can only really work for a huge megacorporation like them, no site can practically compete legally with it.

I still don't regret fully deleting my YouTube account years ago that I had had for many years, however. Any way in which I can abet Google less is a way almost certainly worth pursuing.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-07, 22:46

Tharthan wrote:
2021-05-07, 22:24
Off-topic:
If there were some way to fully abandon it without losing most of its practical functionality
Off-topic:
YouTube doesn't really offer anything that other platforms can't provide.
Copyrighted contents are taken down on YouTube just like on Dailymotion or on other services.
It only has a larger userbase, which is kind of a vicious cycle, as creators go to that service because it has more users, and then more users use the service because there are more content creators, and so on.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-08, 02:27

vannilla wrote:
2021-05-07, 20:13
Some ads might be served directly "in stream", so blocking them would also block the actual video.
I thought so too but blocking doubleclick.net takes care of everything. There's also some analytics shit that keeps polling the server, and that gets filtered too. I see my uBlock counter constantly ticking up when I'm watching anything on Youtube.
Off-topic:
vannilla wrote:
2021-05-07, 22:46
YouTube doesn't really offer anything that other platforms can't provide.
Content creators tend to exclusively focus on Youtube so you're not going to get their specific content from anywhere else. And people do follow their favorite creators' channels so there are no substitutes
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-08, 07:29

I'm honeslty having trouble getting rid of the interstitials myself.
I already have ||doubleclick.net^ as a filter but that does not stop the issue. What exactly are your filters, Moonbat?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-08, 09:13

I use uBlock Origin, and several subscriptions, but the ones that get triggered on Youtube are from EasyPrivacy. Most of what is blocked related to event logging and analytics - I have a global filter to block everything from Doubleclick, and this is the only potential ad related one that it catches -

Code: Select all

xhr	https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/id
The rest of the blocked URLs are are background requests of this sort -

Code: Select all

xhr https://www.youtube.com/youtubei/v1/log_event?alt=json&key=AIzaSyAO_FJ2SlqU8Q4STEHLGCilw_Y9_11qcW8
beacon	https://www.youtube.com/api/stats/qoe?event=streamingstats&fmt=243&afmt=251&cpn=RRcUps8v5CwoHTzs&ei=61OWYKkNiIrctQ_6r5RY&
image https://www.youtube.com/generate_204?18JyiA

spotify95
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by spotify95 » 2021-05-08, 13:32

I was just about to post this and wondered whether it was to do with the 29.2 update (regarding extensions) or not.

YouTube now shows ads on Pale Moon despite having ABL installed (cannot install ABP as it is not a Pale Moon extension).
Google Chrome & Adblock Plus remain unaffected. Firefox & Adblock Plus also work just fine.

Any ideas on how to resolve? or will I have to go back to chome & firefox?

AdderTude
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by AdderTude » 2021-05-08, 17:01

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-08, 07:29
I'm honeslty having trouble getting rid of the interstitials myself.
I already have ||doubleclick.net^ as a filter but that does not stop the issue. What exactly are your filters, Moonbat?
I've been using Pale Moon ever since the Mozilla CEO was ousted (i.e. since 2014) and I've never really had any major ad issues with YouTube for as long as I've been using the AdBlock extensions, but this is the first time that I can recall that YouTube has gotten around it almost entirely. The mid-video breaks are still out of the picture but it's the ones that play right before that are getting through. I've just added doubleclick to the filter list, so I'm gonna keep an eye on it for the time being.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-11, 13:53

I'm tinkering with the lunar blocklist to try and get around the interstitials. You may have to force-refresh youtube for it to take (ctrl+F5) after the list update has gone through (1.0.22)
Let me know if that does anything useful.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

AdderTude
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by AdderTude » 2021-05-12, 04:57

So when that particular update lands, will it be pushed to the regular browser update as usual? If so, I'll be looking forward to it. It's a bit annoying but also not surprising that Google hates consumer choice so much as to devise ways to counter adblockers. At least a lot of other websites give you the option.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-12, 05:44

AdderTude wrote:
2021-05-12, 04:57
So when that particular update lands, will it be pushed to the regular browser update as usual? If so, I'll be looking forward to it. It's a bit annoying but also not surprising that Google hates consumer choice so much as to devise ways to counter adblockers. At least a lot of other websites give you the option.
Uhh.. It is a filter list you subscribe to maintained by Moonchild. What are YOU talking about?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-12, 09:43

AdderTude wrote:
2021-05-12, 04:57
It won't need a browser update
It won't need an extension update
It will just be a filter list update which you can force from your ABL filter subscription dialog.
Attachments
Image1.png

Nokilm

Unread post by Nokilm » 2021-05-14, 14:22

Hello,

Just wanted to chime in that I am still receiving YouTube ads running ABL with Lunar Blocklist updated just a few minutes ago.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-14, 15:28

Yeah I don't know how to avoid it.
I looked at what all is loaded on YT pages and have no idea how to avoid the interstitials.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-05-15, 08:57

I don't recall getting ads when using FreeTube, so worst case scenario, you could just use that for your YouTube use.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020