YouTube has apparently gotten around ABL

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

frmariam
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: YouTube has apparently gotten around ABL

Unread post by frmariam » 2021-05-17, 22:06

I'm using this script (last time I used YT, didn't see any ads):
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/40687 ... ds-updated

PS: I hope this is not a violation. Last time I posted a link to script for YT download but got a warning from New Tobin Paradigm

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-17, 22:13

It isn't a downloader which should maintain the status of Don't ask and Don't tell. Adblocking is a different matter though. As I maintain one I can't be all hardnosed about em tho if you support a creator or site.. There is a whitelist feature that should at least get a token consideration.

As for AGGRESSIVE ad bullshit by an evil monopoly more powerful than most governments, well I can't say much against that either. Blocking things remains a different matter than stealing things or defrauding things with an autoclick simulator. Which this is BUT it is targeted at the skip function NOT generic or clicking ads them selves AND is in response to escilating tactics. So the reality and all the objective factors going into it leads me to conclude that in this case for these reasons that I do not have a big issue with this script.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2021-10-19, 00:28

I noticed the last post in this thread is May.
Has everyone's adblockers started working?

I've been putting up with ads for a while now expecting a blocklist update to fix things. I finally started digging today to try to stop it since my PC is my only device that still gets YouTube ads.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-19, 00:47

DoctorM wrote:
2021-10-19, 00:28
YouTube ads
uBlock Origin (legacy) works for YouTube ads (and has for a very long time).

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2021-10-19, 04:06

Thanks coffeebreak. That does seem to work. The settings page is a bit daunting compared to ABL and AB+, etc., but I'll take functional over simple any day.

christian
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by christian » 2021-11-11, 05:03

frmariam wrote:
2021-05-17, 22:06
I'm using this script (last time I used YT, didn't see any ads):
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/40687 ... ds-updated

PS: I hope this is not a violation. Last time I posted a link to script for YT download but got a warning from New Tobin Paradigm
That script worked for me and it goes better together with filterlist "Youtubeの広告をとにかくブロックするフィルタ"
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/eEIi0A5L/adblock_filter/master/youtube_wo_tonikaku_filter.txt

Ads are hardly visible :thumbup:

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-11-11, 08:28

I remember having this discussion

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26868&p=215645#p215645

To quote Tobin
I did some digging and here is what I have gathered so far...

These NEW ads that can't be blocked with ABPrime OR ABL are ads being served from Google's own video servers NOT from a third party. They are PART of the MSE Video Stream. Their player is increasingly becoming shit at catering to non-MSE enabled playback. For me personally, not being signed in has the youtube site LARGELY using the regular blockable method of video ad delivery but signed in it is obvious I am opted in to the new method.

tl;dr, I admit it.. UBO is the BEST and really ONLY option for blocking Youtube ads in a UXP application. Guess Gorhill and JustOff get the last laugh on this count. Maybe, one day, I will actually take UBO's engine and give it Adblock's UI then we will finally have a non-hostile UBO-capable adblocker that isn't total ASS to use.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-11, 08:38

ABL nor ABPrime understand the following rules:

Code: Select all

youtube.com##+js(json-prune, [].playerResponse.adPlacements [].playerResponse.playerAds playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.playerAds adPlacements playerAds)
youtube.com##+js(set-constant, playerResponse.adPlacements, undefined)
youtube.com##+js(set-constant, ytInitialPlayerResponse.adPlacements, undefined)
!#if adguard
youtube.com,youtube-nocookie.com#@#+js(json-prune, [].playerResponse.adPlacements [].playerResponse.playerAds playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.playerAds adPlacements playerAds)
youtube-nocookie.com,youtube.com#%#//scriptlet('json-prune', '0.playerResponse.adPlacements 0.playerResponse.playerAds playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.playerAds adPlacements playerAds')
!#endif
Nor can the ever because this type of script injection via adblock filters is dangerous as hell.. Adblock Plus got bit by this when they first did it. For now UBO is the only one that can do this safely. It would be better if, like I said in the other thread, if someone would adapt the existing userscript or create a new one for this so everyone can benefit. Perhaps a full on extension dedicated to it.

pale guru
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by pale guru » 2021-11-15, 22:59

You can also use dl-dlp and download the video(s) you like.

Moderator note: instructions removed
… tanning in dimmed LCD light. – Evry 1′s a beginner, baby, that's the truth…

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-15, 23:01

So your solution is to steal?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2021-11-15, 23:22

pale guru wrote:
2021-11-15, 22:59
download the video(s) you like.
Single warning: Do not promote illegal activities on this forum; you will be banned.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

spotify95
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by spotify95 » 2021-12-27, 17:27

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-16, 11:16
For the record, I used Chredge and installed uBlock Origin on it to test the situation there and even there with all relevant filter lists enabled I was still getting the same interstitial ads on YouTube! So there's a lot more going on here than just an ABL or Pale Moon targeting issue.

I guess we need to add an option (5) to the options mentioned previously, which is: Pay Google to have YouTube Premium which they have been pushing hard along with their more aggressive advertising, which allegedly is stream-ad free.
Honestly if you "live on YT and can't do without it" it should be an option; you aren't exactly entitled to free services without ads, even from Google.
I use straightforward Chrome with Adblock Plus (the equivalent of Pale Moon's Adblock Latitude), and it works without issue.

Paying Google to use YouTube Premium is completely out of the question. I'm not rich enough to be throwing £10 a month at companies just to stop intrusive adverts. This is also why I don't use the YouTube app on my phone or tablet!

It looks like YouTube with Adblock Latitude is working in Pale Moon... for now at least... will have to keep an eye on this.

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-12-28, 01:43

Off-topic:
spotify95 wrote:
2021-12-27, 17:27
This is also why I don't use the YouTube app on my phone or tablet!
There are multiple 3rd party applications without ads (assuming you are using android) like newpipe, ytvanced or skytube.

spotify95
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by spotify95 » 2021-12-29, 15:52

Well I have checked again and it seems like ABL doesn't work with YouTuybe, tried today and got 2x unskippable ads at the start of a video. ABL is supposed to block ads, like Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin, etc etc...

Back to Plan C for me, at least for Youtube.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-29, 18:08

And if you had taken the time to read more than 2 posts in this thread you would know why this will happen. Heck I even sometimes get start of video ads on Edge with UbO and a shit ton of filters. Usually those unskippable ads are immediately followed by Google popping up a notification "hey don't like ads? try premium" So they just replace the video stream with ad stream stuff you can't skip now and then. And no adblocker will be perfect, even ones that hack the playlists.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2021-12-31, 18:39

Moonchild wrote:
2021-12-29, 18:08
I even sometimes get start of video ads on Edge with UbO and a shit ton of filters.
To avoid this, you need to enable "suspendTabsUntilReady" (not necessary for XUL):
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock- ... untilready

Ghostwalker
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Ghostwalker » 2022-01-14, 13:04

I've been using Invidious, an open source front-end to youtube, that along with uBO and some specific filter lists for youtube/google, has never allowed any ads to come through. I haven't ever tried Invidious without an adblocker and may natively not allow them. Just like moonbat said, filter lists: https://filterlists.com/ are the key. Using Greasemonkey with an Invidious redirect script found on Greasy Fork or OpenUserJS will send any youtube link to an instance automatically. I modify the script to always redirect to the multiple instances link you see below to choose from. Some instances of Invidious work better than others at different times. Happy New Year everyone.

Code: Select all

https://redirect.invidious.io/

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2022-01-14, 15:10

This is not an add-on solution, but a DNS Filter on my router still has been entirely effective for me to block ads on Youtube. The problem with Invidious is that I don't believe it gets any major development anymore, but it's just a bunch of other instances. Maybe I am wrong there.

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2022-01-15, 03:57

Baloo wrote:
2022-01-14, 15:10
The problem with Invidious is that I don't believe it gets any major development anymore, but it's just a bunch of other instances. Maybe I am wrong there.
It still is being worked on, there just aren't any new releases
https://github.com/iv-org/invidious/graphs/contributors

ArtKoc
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by ArtKoc » 2022-03-31, 05:12

AdderTude wrote:
2021-05-06, 17:18
I started noticing this late last night, but it seems like Google has discovered a way around AdBlock Latitude 5.0.8 as YouTube now has ads at the start of every video I open despite having ABL active and up-to-date. Any suggestions on what I could do? Already tried removing and reinstalling the extension.
Returning PM user here. I have been using Basilisk and Vivaldi for the past few years - Vivaldi mostly as it suppresses YouTube's embedded video ads. With AdBlock Latitude installed in both browsers, PM29 has same behavior as Basilisk - both display YT ads. I hoped there was some way around it and came here for help. Thanks to Moonbat's comments, I installed uBlock and goodbye embedded video ads. Great!!

Now, I need to keep it working and see if all my "must have" extensions work in PM 29..

The UB Wiki implies that the lists are automatically managed. Is that correct? Default lists sufficient?
The UB author, Raymond Hill, seems to indicate that UB is effectively a superset of AB no need for both. Correct?
Is there anything that AB does that UB doesn't do?