No License file in extension, what does that mean?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: No License file in extension, what does that mean?

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-06, 16:42

I'm considering to fork the "Digger" extension (caa:addon/digger). It seems easy enough for a beginner like me. The extension doesn't include a license file or any other license information I could find. I also couldn't find a repo or a working contact info. There is a fork called "Digger Reloaded" (caa:addon/digger-fan-update) with an MPL license but I'm not sure whether this was approved by the original author. On the other hand, the original extension claims to be itself based on the "Diggler" extension (caa:addon/118) which also doesn't include a license file but the javascript file that does the work contains an "MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1" license notice. The js files in diggler and digger are not really similar. All this makes me hesitant about the license situation. Any suggestions?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-06, 16:56

Stand by.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-05-06, 18:15

MPL seems right.

According to CAA and "Wayback", Digger's homepage (while it existed) was clav.mozdev.org.
That page's "Wayback" copy says MPL:
This site is the home of several extensions for Firefox and Thunderbird, all written by Stephen Clavering (a.k.a. 'clav').

All of them are free and open-source, currently available under the terms of the Mozilla Public License.

Diggler from which it was forked, was also home-based on mozdev ("Wayback": diggler.mozdev.org) and seemed to rely on mozdev's default Copyright Policy which IIUC was: MPL when not otherwise stated.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-06, 19:04

Well mozdev doesn't exist anymore and the original developer may not have read the terms of the site or understood them and the default legal stance is copyright, all rights reserved unless otherwise stated by the author.

In good faith, we must apply the default legal stance despite what a defunct site's hosting policy says.

So I deem it copyright, all rights reserved until direct evidence of the creator's intent is established or they them selves make a verifiable statement on the matter.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-06, 19:24

IIUC what you're saying applies to Diggler, right? Digger (the one I intend to fork) is explicitly stated as MPL as written on the wayback page coffeebreak has linked to. Is the problem that the wayback page is not sufficient proof, or is it that digger's copyright claim itself is not valid due to diggler's copyright on which it is based on? Or is it something else I'm missing?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-06, 20:51

If that is what it says then that is fine but mozdev's own sitewide policy isn't enough but the dev says all his stuff is mpl then it is.

Do note it may be MPL 1.1.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-05-07, 02:11

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-04, 02:53
Why don't you fork the much simpler Close Tabs to the Left which is just a basic bootstrap style extension?
I downloaded this extension and changed FF's ID to Pale Moon's, and changed the min/max version. It works. I just did a search to see what else should be done and/or what should be done next, but the forum post I thought existed evidently doesn't.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-05-07, 13:19

ron_1 wrote:
2021-05-07, 02:11
what else should be done and/or what should be done
Try Porting extensions and how to be the very best - Pale Moon forum

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-05-08, 15:05

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-06, 20:51
If that is what it says then that is fine but mozdev's own sitewide policy isn't enough but the dev says all his stuff is mpl then it is.

Do note it may be MPL 1.1.
I've submitted the forked extension "URL Clipper" for review. I hope I did everything right. I first named the fork "URL Cutter" and submitted it but then I realized that "URL Clipper" would be a better name. But I couldn't find a way to remove the first submission on the Phoebus panel. Sorry about the inconvenience.