Speed Dial addon port or fix

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Speed Dial addon port or fix

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-05, 04:39

The addon submission page supports search keywords, in addition to the name of the extension so authors can add the name of the original to make it easier to search.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-05, 16:43

That would be the add-on metadata page not the submittion page.

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-05-05, 19:54

I'm sorry but i can not edit it.
The biggest problem is the weather plugin of addon.
It goes in lost link.
The question is that all extension is connected to it; i tried to remove the link and Speed Dial doesn't work :(
I have not experience in this, but i think that a speed solution could to be release it just as it is, with the same name and ID, maybe ( i don't know if it is possible) to change number version and add myself like contributor.
I wait your considerations :|
Bye
Francesco bat

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2021-05-05, 20:22

As I've mentioned over PM, it simply isn't possible to release in the state it's in. You cannot keep the same name and icons (and you must be consistent in doing this), and links to the author's site must be removed. The weather plugin points to a parked domain, which isn't something anyone wants to deal with. Considering it's rather prominent on the speed dial also, it's something that people would get burned on pretty quickly.

Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2021-05-21, 12:37

Why wouldn't just port the extension under the original name and original authors names without any modifications and re-releases? All that needed is to change Firefox ID, because it works fine on PM. This should not violate any "license", and besides, the author abandoned this project long ago. It's even not for me (I already used Moon tester tool) - it's just for saving cool old extensions for all people.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-21, 12:55

Two reasons. One: Intellectual property is a thing. Two: The ID for an add-on via AUS is a direct line into everyone's browser that has it installed.

You see, things have to be done properly so you don't violate people's rights like riiis and don't highjack people's browsers like JustOff.

Is that clear enough?

Actually, I am kinda glad they did that shit so I can use them as direct examples rather than hypotheticals situations. Don't get me wrong, they are still scumbags for what they did but they sure make good visual aids ;)

Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2021-06-10, 08:40

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-21, 12:55
Two reasons. One: Intellectual property is a thing. Two: The ID for an add-on via AUS is a direct line into everyone's browser that has it installed.

You see, things have to be done properly so you don't violate people's rights like riiis and don't highjack people's browsers like JustOff.

Is that clear enough?

Actually, I am kinda glad they did that shit so I can use them as direct examples rather than hypotheticals situations. Don't get me wrong, they are still scumbags for what they did but they sure make good visual aids ;)
Not to ourselves, not to others. I understood.
But how do you explain that there are many PM addons that are ported from legacy FF (not even forks)? And then what to do with extensions whose authors have long abandoned them? Just throw it away, for fear of violating the "intellectual property" of fully dead product (and which is under an open license, lol)?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-10, 09:32

You're a fuckin moron, dude. Go away.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-10, 11:56

Psycho-A wrote:
2021-06-10, 08:40
And then what to do with extensions whose authors have long abandoned them? Just throw it away, for fear of violating the "intellectual property" of fully dead product (and which is under an open license, lol)?
Just because an author has abandoned something (who decides the criteria for when something is 'abandoned' anyway?) doesn't mean their intellectual property rights are in any way diminished. It's their work, their creation, and their rights. You aren't entitled to anything unless the licensing explicitly allows it or the author explicitly disclaims their property rights (i.e. makes it public domain).
Educate yourself about software ownership and licensing, please.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-10, 13:14

I think he may be a communist.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-10, 16:33

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-10, 13:14
I think he may be a communist.
Or maybe just someone who takes stuff from other people's attics and storage spaces, claiming it's "abandoned"?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-06-10, 20:02

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-10, 16:33
someone who takes stuff from other people's attics and storage spaces, claiming it's "abandoned"?
I certainly do not know what the situation with Psycho-A is, but there are certainly a lot of people these days who firmly believe that they are entitled to other people's things/creations by default, and that any law that gets in the way of them getting the stuff that they are desirous of is arbitrary and not worth paying attention to.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2021-06-10, 20:51

What the hell are you all talking about? Who here talked about "appropriating" someone else's work for themselves? We were talking about a 100% port with the preservation of the original authorship (just a copy, in fact). Please show me where the license for all these free addons prohibits copying, porting or creating forks when specifying the original authors. The PM add-ons page has TreeStyleTab ports, FlashGot ports, and some others that even kept their original descriptions (with "Firefox" in it). Then go to start deleting them, prudes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-10, 21:14

A few of them were brought over by their original developers or authorized by them. Please link any you think are offending.

If there IS a violation it needs resolved one way or another.

Look, we are liable for what we host if it violates intellectual property laws like copyright or trademark. Upon establishment of an issue if we don't act in good faith that could be very bad for us legally. We have already been falsely accused of stealing code and shit by multiple parties in the past.

As well we HAVE skated with intellectual property with the half-dozen Pseudo-Statics back at the begining where for example Adblock Plus threatened us and rightly so. Though the Pseudo-Static was not malicious and we asked for a little latitude when the GUID changed but they were steadfast and we created Adblock Latitude as a result. That is where the name CAME FROM. Either way, we learned we shouldn't try and pull that even as a temporary messure and set policy accordingly because legally and morally it was the right thing to do.

No, sir, it ABSOLUTELY MUST all be kept on the up and up at all times and that means everyone will be held to the highest standards in these situations.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-06-10, 21:37, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-10, 21:16

Psycho-A wrote:
2021-06-10, 20:51
What the hell are you all talking about?
You can't (re-)publish altered versions of extensions UNLESS the license and/or original author allows it.
Being strict about that is not being a "prude". It's following the law.

So no matter what you might think, unless it's licensed specifically under an Open Source license that allows it, you cannot port or copy any of it. Period.

That is what we are talking about and which you, judging by your wording, do not understand. And how dare we defend author's rights to their creations, eh? We should just allow any and all hacking and call it a day, right?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-10, 21:29

All Open Source Licenses either have provisions that explicitly exclude logos, names, trademarks, and service marks OR the implicit assumption that non-code is not covered. Thus unless stated otherwise MUST default to the creator's ownership.

That is why we enforce changing the ID, name, and any identifing logos when forking. Refering to the original is fine and even listing the original creator as an em:contributor is fine but CALLING IT the original ain't. Neither is any other false association or impersonation.

As for extensions that aren't open source .. they aren't open source, period.

So back your cyrillic ass up and remember the Soviet Union fell a long time ago and that people across the world HAVE creator and property ownership rights. Rights that will be protected here in all good faith.