Download manager tweak alternative?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Download manager tweak alternative?

Unread post by damjang » 2021-05-02, 16:38

Hi to all!
Is there a working alternative to Download manager tweak or better an option to make Download window open in a tab? I'm unable to find something useful...

[PCMartin]

Re: Download manager tweak alternative?

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-06, 22:27

damjang wrote:
2021-05-02, 16:38
Is there a working alternative to Download manager tweak or better an option to make Download window open in a tab? I'm unable to find something useful...
What was the last version of Download Manager Tweak for legacy Firefox that worked entirely well in Pale Moon 29.1.1, immediately before the current release (Pale Moon 29.2.0)? EDIT: Belay that. I see from other forum posts that someone made a native Pale Moon fork of Download Manager Tweak at some point. I assume that it's the Pale Moon fork that stopped working for you at some point.

Also, The Good ol' Sidebar extension can force Download Manager to open in the Sidebar:

The Good ol' Sidebar Options
> Panels tab
> Downloads subtab
> Behavior
> Open in Sidebar = checked (enabled)

Once you've done that, you can open Download Manager in a new tab, by ctrl-left-clicking on the double-sided arrow button at the top right of the Sidebar. Not very convenient. It might be easier to just bookmark about:downloads and put it on your Bookmarks Toolbar, or assign a short keyword to it, or (if you're smarter than I am) make a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut for it.

EDIT: Hopefully, the original forker will update the Pale Moon version of Download Manager Tweak to make it work again.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-05-07, 20:58

Downloads Window?

edit: ok sorry, you want it in a new tab so I guess this won't do.

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2021-05-07, 22:00

Yes, the Downloader manager tweak work ok till PM v29.1.1. The working version was 1.0.10 by squashr1979.

And thank you, also about:downloads bookmarked is ok, not like DMT but better than nothing.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-06-09, 08:51

I've released a fork of "Download Manager Tweak" under the name "Download Manager Customizations". It's live on the add-on site now:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/download-manager-customizations/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-09, 10:11

Better name would be Download Tweaker or some shit. I mean that is a mouthful.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-06-09, 11:27

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-09, 10:11
Better name would be Download Tweaker or some shit. I mean that is a mouthful.
You're definitely right about the name being too long. Coming up with a good name has been one of the more difficult parts of these forking efforts :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-09, 11:45

Yeah, I know what you mean.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-06-09, 17:06

Download Tweaker is too generic, though. Can mean anything. I'm sure most people should be able to handle three words, right?

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2021-06-09, 17:15

How about; 'Download Customizer' or 'Custom Downloader' ? or better yet "Awesome Downloader" :mrgreen:
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2021-06-09, 17:36

The problem is that the extension isn't doing one specific job. Its main purpose is to display the download manager in a tab or in the sidebar but it also adds some download related features (although I've tried to simplify things by removing some). I didn't want to leave out the word "manager" because otherwise users might have thought that it meddles with the downloading process somehow.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind changing the name if such a change is generally considered to be OK.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-06-09, 18:19

htuyar wrote:
2021-06-09, 17:36
I wouldn't mind changing the name if such a change is generally considered to be OK.
I use Downloads Statusbar and don't have a dog in this fight, but I prefer your original "Download Manager Customizations" because it more accurately describes what the extension does. The proposed alternatives may be shorter but they are less clear, for the reasons you stated. Besides, it's not like you have to look at the extension's name once you are done configuring it … which is actually one more reason for having a highly descriptive name, in case you ever want to go back and change something. (Thank goodness BIZARRE, the Pale Moon fork of Image Zoom, doesn't have any options, because I might not know what to look for a few months from now.)