tracker/beacon blocker for 29.2.0? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

i g m

tracker/beacon blocker for 29.2.0?

Unread post by i g m » 2021-04-30, 21:10

Is there a tracker/beacon blocker extension like Ghostery or Privacy Badger that works for 29.2.0? I've searched of course, but found nothing. I've had 14 trackers on a single page before-- like ticks on an old hound dog-- and I would prefer not to.

I took another look at Firefox and Opera etc but they all seem to be for the ADHD crowd. I love PM and have been using it for years and don't want to switch [back] to anything else... but browsing without Ghostery or a similar blocker is :-(

I asked Ghostery support about a PM version and they said "You should be able to find one that is compatible... if not sorry about that!"

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: tracker/beacon blocker for 29.2.0?

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-01, 10:32

Use a proper adblocker and you don't need separate extensions for these things. uBlock Origin legacy with a decent set of subscriptions will block everything that needs blocking.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-01, 14:03

Ublock is NOT an adblocker. It is a general content blocker that HAPPENS to also block ads. Members of the Adblock Family ARE adblockers first that HAPPEN to be able to block other types of content.

There is a distinction here.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-01, 14:06

Makes it even better, I often use it to hide 'subscribe to our newsletter', 'let me interrupt your reading with another dumb section of 'related' clickbait' and other annoyances.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-01, 14:11

Yeah if you like using an extension created by someone who literally hates Pale Moon and everyone involved and maintained by another who is so butthurt he dosn't have primary control of UXP and Pale Moon and who's importance is diminished after he tried to highjack people's browsers. Then joined the Reddit Shithole.

Holy unholy alliances, Batman!

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-01, 14:26

There is also the approach where you block requests to resources instead of specific elements, but it's mostly independent and you can use it together with a content blocker (whatever its nature.)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-01, 14:31

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-01, 14:11
Yeah if you like using an extension created by someone who literally hates Pale Moon and everyone involved and maintained by another who is so butthurt he dosn't have primary control of UXP and Pale Moon and who's importance is diminished after he tried to highjack people's browsers. Then joined the Reddit Shithole.

Holy unholy alliances, Batman!
That was JustOff, not gorhill. AFAIK he hasn't really been here much and his extension works as long as it can. I'd fork it and XUL-ify it if I could but it looks way too complex.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-01, 15:52

Gorhill created it and hates us and JustOff now maintains it and is a fucking scumbag. Sorry for the ambiguity, Moonbat.

i g m

Unread post by i g m » 2021-05-02, 02:23

I've been using uBlock Origin for ad blocking mostly, but am trying the tracker subscriptions now too, thanks.

Pushing my luck: is there was a replacement for RequestPolicy which controls cross-site requests? It was pretty old (version 0.5 from 2017).......

shevy

Unread post by shevy » 2021-05-12, 04:34

I have been using ublock origin for many years (even before using palemoon) and it
works very well. Is Privacy Badger giving any additional features? After Google went loco
via its FLOC mass-surveillance of mankind I finally had enough of Google. I no longer want
my data to be slurped up by any private interest group if this can be avoided,
so I wonder if privacy badger has any additional benefit over ublock origin
(it's unlikely I willa bandon unblock origin simply because it works so well).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-12, 05:45

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-01, 15:52
Gorhill created it and hates us and JustOff now maintains it and is a fucking scumbag.