Looking at porting some extensions for my own use; anyone else interested in these?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Joleca

Re: Looking at porting some extensions for my own use; anyone else interested in these?

Unread post by Joleca » 2021-04-29, 01:24

If at all possible, would you be able to do

LastPass caa:list?q=lastpass

Browser just updated today and now have no access to any of my id's or passwords.. Have used this since it first came out and really hurting for it.

Thank you so very much!!!

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Looking at porting some extensions for my own use; anyone else interested in these?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-29, 02:20

No. For the last time.. This is a service extension who's code is proprietary and service is under various terms. ONLY LastPass can do anything regarding LastPass.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-29, 03:17

GruntZ wrote:
2021-04-28, 15:31
I have retrieve the original repository of Jeremy Ruston : https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyFox
What to search in the repo to be sure the extension can (or not) be easily ported as "Palemoon official add-on" ?

The package.json file does not contain anything reminiscent of declaring a dependency on Jetpack :
https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyFox ... ckage.json

The only file found in the .XPI, and where it was built (it is missing from the source repo) is "bootstrap.js", which contains references to some "/ sdk / ..." :

Code: Select all

"use strict";

const { utils: Cu } = Components;
const rootURI = __SCRIPT_URI_SPEC__.replace("bootstrap.js", "");
const COMMONJS_URI = "resource://gre/modules/commonjs";
const { require } = Cu.import(COMMONJS_URI + "/toolkit/require.js", {});
const { Bootstrap } = require(COMMONJS_URI + "/sdk/addon/bootstrap.js");
var { startup, shutdown, install, uninstall } = new Bootstrap(rootURI);
Is this kind of information that allows to know if the recovery of the extension will be possible or not?
Your search answered your question. If it has a "package.json" file, doesn't have "bootstrap.js", doesn't have any chrome.manifest (which AFAIK isn't supported in Jetpack), and the javascript code links to a `/sdk/`, it's Jetpack/SDK-based.

It still can be ported to Pale Moon, the add-ons repository still accept forks of Jetpack extensions I think. But if you can, it's a lot better to rewrite it into an XUL overlay or bootstrapped extension, since Jetpack is basically considered deprecated in UXP, the technology that powers Pale Moon. Binary Outcast applications like Interlink don't accept Jetpack extensions either, which you should keep in mind if you want the extension to be compatible not only with Pale Moon.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-29, 03:29

The reason you don't see a bootstrap.js file is the state of the code in source repo is that of an Add-ons SDK project that is unbuilt. When built it will generate both the install manifest and the bootstrap script because all jetpack extensions are bootstrap enabled.

However, as of the Phoebus 2.1 Quality of Life Update no new or forked Jetpack extensions will be permitted for submission to the Add-ons Site by result of a community poll. Currently existing ones are exempt, of course.

ONE exception exists, as partly noted previously, that pretains to any of JustOff's or Riiis's extensions. I will permit on a case-by-case basis manual submittion and assignment of any fork of their extensions that happens to be Jetpack-based.

Why? Because extension developers (and their users) should NOT be punished for helping to clean up JustOff's and Riiis's messes. Though I do encourage that if it is reasonably possible for them to be ported to normal or at least non-sdk bootstrapped code that they should be.

Additionally, I may consider Jetpack extensions brought over to Pale Moon or Basilisk by their verified original developers for special dispensation as well. We shall see about that one.

Fair enough?

GruntZ
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by GruntZ » 2021-04-29, 04:28

ejlddll wrote:
2021-04-28, 20:49
---
TiddlyFox 1.0 isn't a Jetpack user and contains no .json files of any sort. 2.0.1, which I have on a different machine, does appear to be Jetpack-based (places information in the "jetpack" directory in the user profile and contains bootstrap.js and package.json), and so is presumably not a desirable subject for porting. The best course of action would therefore be to determine when the switch was made and obtain the last pre-Jetpack version, then port that, after making sure it's functional.
---
@ejlddll : TiddlyFox is made by Jeremy Ruston, and the source repo for all version is on Github.
The source code for version 1.0alpha18 is here : https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyFox/releases/tag/1.0alpha18

I'm no longer a developer, but my old technical documentation rely on this extension, and I use it daily. Then, if I can help in porting, I would.

@jobbautista9
I have see on the repo the instructions to create the XPI, and there is explicit reference to Jetpack in the README.md.

However, they are no longer applicable because the JPM tool is no longer available.
Install jpm as described in the Firefox Add-on SDK:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... /Tools/jpm
Do you know where to find an archive of this tool (or a fork of this tool as you suggest) to recode the functions used by the extension, or at least understand them to replace them?

They are linked to the storage of the URLs of editable pages in the sub-directory of the profile intended for data persistence.
It is a simple .json file, located under [user-profile]/jetpack/tiddlyfox@tiddlywiki.org/simple-storage/store.json

I'm sure there is another way to store and use the same information; but how ... :think:

Thank you both for your help

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-29, 04:31

We do have it on RPMO or should and it requires cloning into its former sub-directory in the UXP tree and accessed via Mach. But did you read what I said?

Maybe you should see if they will bring their old extension over and if so I would grant them special dispensation.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-29, 04:41

You need to install nodejs first, then follow the installation instructions (I recommend doing the git instructions instead) on https://github.com/mozilla-jetpack/jpm.

I'm not sure if it runs fine these days though. It's deprecated and unmaintained after all.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

ejlddll

Unread post by ejlddll » 2021-05-02, 23:19

Apologies for the timelapse. A tentative port of RIP can now be found at https://github.com/eliddell/rip-aoa/. Install from the .xpi file linked in the release. I tested it on a clean profile; it installed and functioned as expected. I've also clarified what level of maintenance to expect in the readme.

(If anyone's curious what took so long: I was trying to regularize the indentation in the code, which varied from 1 to 8 spaces per level. It should be four spaces in most of the files now, I hope. If anyone had steganographically encoded an image or something using the variable whitespace lengths, sorry, but it's gone. ;) )

I'll be looking at Old Location Bar next, then TiddlyFox. There is no chance of my even considering LastPass, because I currently have no interest in maintaining anything I don't use myself.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-05-03, 16:11

What does "Old Location Bar" do in general?
I like a simple, no-features location bar. No searching, no auto-filling of prefix or suffix. No keyword functionality. Just take what I type and attempt to go there, and nowhere else.
But I get that with some about:config changes. Does this just apply those for me? Or does it do more?
I guess I'm wondering why it exists? Maybe I want to use it?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-03, 16:27

If I recall.. It just makes it more Firefox 2 like.. Pre-awesomebar but not featureless.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-03, 16:29

Old location bar goes back to Firefox 2 behavior - just matching bare URLs and nothing else, not even titles. Can't imagine searching only URLs instead of the page titles as well is somehow easier. You can already control what gets searched in the addressbar from Preferences -> Privacy -> Location bar (i.e. whether to also include bookmarks, history and currently open tabs).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

pmBill

Unread post by pmBill » 2021-05-03, 20:56

I think the "Don't fork and run" policy is pejorative, at best.

Better to have it initially work for however long it does, than nothing at all.

And then someone might also decide to work on it to keep it going.

That "policy" is fundamentally VERY hostile. (as are WAY TOO MANY things at Pale Moon and on the forums)

And then the people who act hostile and support the hostility constantly "innocently" claim, "What?" when they are called on it.

It is a very sad and unfortunate attitude and situation and community, which starts at the top, afaics, as these things usually do.
It's been that way for YEARS.
Which is why I try to avoid this place as much as possible.
The atmosphere is EXTREMELY unfriendly.

Of course, all people have to do it "fork it and run". It's not like anyone can do anything to you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-03, 21:16

It is not hostile at all. People expect extensions to have a future and bugs to be fixed. Playing pass the buck or buck or musical developers solves nothing and makes the problem even worse than doing NOTHING at all.

If involvement and sustainability is so hostile then please do check out a Chrome flavor where is no such hostility.

ejlddll

Unread post by ejlddll » 2021-05-03, 21:23

@moonbat: Old Location Bar also includes some purely cosmetic functions that operate on the location bar chrome. I use some of them to hide icons that aren't useful to me. As for whether restricting searches to only URLs is useful, it's a matter of personal preference. Myself, I expect the location bar to match only URLs, and if I want to search on a page title, I'll pull up the History window (I also don't do general websearches from the location bar). I can understand why someone else who actually pays attention to page titles rather than to domain names would find the way I do things inconvenient, but my first browser was Netscape 1.22, and the added features just produce unexpected behaviour for me to deal with.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-03, 21:25

Off-topic:
pmBill wrote:
2021-05-03, 20:56
That "policy" is fundamentally VERY hostile. (as are WAY TOO MANY things at Pale Moon and on the forums)
... a very sad and unfortunate attitude ... which starts at the top...
It's been that way for YEARS.
I'm sorry but i won't take that kind of hostile attitude directed at me because in so many words you are making this extremely personal.
I think if you have such trouble with how we do things and how the forum is, then you should not be here. Why don't you go to Reddit? That seems to be a better atmosphere to suit your general attitude towards the project and what you seem to think of me as a person and how I've done things for a decade (which is quite false by the way, you clearly don't have a clue who I am or what I value).
You certainly have overstayed your welcome here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-03, 21:30

ejlddll, not unreasonable. However, until someone forks this extension properly you can still control various behavior with the preferences.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-05-04, 14:41

Thank you folks for the description of Old Location Bar. It sounds like I have obtained similar behavior with my about:config changes, so I don't see any need to try it out.
The location bar I have is as bare-bones as it gets, and I'm happy with that. If I couldn't get there with about:config changes, I guess I'd be interested in Old Location Bar.

Memophenon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Memophenon » 2021-05-06, 15:35

@ejlddll: TiddlyFox was the reason to flee to Pale Moon, as Firefox let me down in 2017. Not a bad refuge at all. I would highly regret it if PM 29.1.1 turns out to be the last usable version for maintaining my TiddliWikis.

I can't help you with the technical stuff (what I could tell about TiddlyFox has already been said), so all I have to offer is keeping your morale up. You don't do it for nothing! (This includes other contributors as well.)

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-05-06, 19:51

Memophenon wrote:
2021-05-06, 15:35
TiddlyFox
You might want to ask in the TiddlyWiki Google Group. Maybe the original developer would be willing to update it.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...