Looking at porting some extensions for my own use; anyone else interested in these?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

[PCMartin]

Re: Looking at porting some extensions for my own use; anyone else interested in these?

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-06, 23:18

BobbyP wrote:
2021-04-29, 01:13
Remove It Permanently 1.0.6.10 would be of interest, and appreciated, as I used to use it extensively some time ago.
I think you can do the same thing with uBlock Origin's element picker/zapper (the eyedropper button), but it might be more of a hassle to use. Also, sometimes "removing stuff permanently" can have unwanted side effects. I recently zapped (filtered out) a recurring "YouTube TV" nag popup and comments stopped populating on every Youtube tab opened thereafter. Unzapping the nag fixed the problem. Unzapping something (deleting a filter) in uBlock Origin is not 100% intuitive, but it's not hard once you know how. I don't remember how hard it is to undo permanent removals in Remove It Permanently.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Looking at porting some extensions for my own use; anyone else interested in these?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-07, 00:34

Don't forget if you use one of the Adblock Family of extensions.. I just released EHPrime which targets both ABPrime and ABL on all the allied UXP applications released or not.

Memophenon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Memophenon » 2021-05-08, 14:20

@Falna: I've done so yesterday evening (CET), that is, I posted it on the TW Classic group https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywikiclassic/c/RUDN8eXiDoM/m/EngLBDZGBAAJ. While waiting for being moderated, I discovered Waterfox Classic. This browser still supports TiddlyFox. Which makes it a bit less likely that developers in the TW community are willing to adapt TF to possibly more contempory practices.

And now I've also published a link to my TW Classic post in the TW 5 group you named. Will be moderated too, so it may take some time before appearing. Let's see what it all leads to.

Memophenon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Memophenon » 2021-05-09, 12:29

The TiddlyFox topic in the TiddlWikiClassic discussion group is getting very interesting for TW users. There's a fish called Timimi. Refugees from the Firefox Apocalypse can go back now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-09, 14:29

Memophenon wrote:
2021-05-09, 12:29
The TiddlyFox topic in the TiddlWikiClassic discussion group is getting very interesting for TW users. There's a fish called Timimi. Refugees from the Firefox Apocalypse can go back now.
Not sure what your incentive is here (or your goal for that matter) but your posting in that thread overlooks the obvious solution to your problem which is someone actually forking it for Pale Moon use (as opposed to repeatedly pushing people to switch to Chrome or other browsers).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Memophenon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Memophenon » 2021-05-09, 19:51

I had hoped my previous post would be my last one on this topic. But:
Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-09, 14:29
Not sure what your incentive is here (or your goal for that matter) ...
My motive is simply helping TW users to oversee the current alternatives for using TiddlyFox on PM.
...the obvious solution to your problem which is someone actually forking it for Pale Moon use...
Of course, obvious. I would welcome such an inititive, but there is no such working product available yet while I'm writing this. So indeed, everyone with some sympathy for PM, keep on following the developments on this place, or even better, persuade someone to either fork existing products or create a new add-on from scratch. Or do one of these things by yourself.

As this tends to become a metadiscussion, I feel I've nothing substantial to say anymore about this subject.

ejlddll

Unread post by ejlddll » 2021-05-10, 01:34

A fork of Old Location Bar, or what I was able to salvage of it, can now be found at https://github.com/eliddell/ancient-location-bar. Once again, there is a .xpi file under the release you can click to install.

Unfortunately, I was unable to resurrect the complete original featureset in a reasonable amount of time. I dropped three settings as broken and not easily fixable, and one as broken and redundant with the main Pale Moon Preferences dialog (thus not worth fixing)—detailed list and explanation is on GitHub. Everything that's still in the extension's Settings dialog worked for me when I tested it.

It took a while to dig through the original extension, and understand what was going on and what could or couldn't be fixed. Sorry for the delay.

TiddlyFox, which I expect to be less trouble in terms of patches but more trouble in terms of figuring out exactly what point to fork it from, is next.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-10, 01:37

Memophenon wrote:
2021-05-09, 19:51
My motive is simply helping TW users to oversee the current alternatives for using TiddlyFox on PM.
Well, I just don't see the point in cross-posting here about a thread elsewhere which content isn't exactly pointing people in the right direction, and then calling that "interesting". That's rather manipulative. But what do I know.
*shrug* Either you or another TW user will create a fork, or they won't. If everyone has your attitude (i.e. kneejerk response being "look elsewhere") then I guess it won't happen.

EDIT: mid-air post; looks like TW will get a fork after all ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ejlddll

Unread post by ejlddll » 2021-05-10, 01:49

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-06, 23:18
I don't remember how hard it is to undo permanent removals in Remove It Permanently.
There's about four different ways you can undo removals (or temporarily display "removed" items). The simplest one involves two clicks (to restore all removed items on that page). Granularly undoing one removal of several on the same page or site is unintuitive in that it requires an understanding of XPaths (or a little trial and error and some patience), and needs about five clicks.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-10, 02:25

ejlddll wrote:
2021-05-10, 01:49
There's about four different ways you can undo removals ….
Thanks for this. I haven't used Remove It Permanently in a pretty long time.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-10, 07:27

ejlddll wrote:
2021-05-02, 23:19
A tentative port of RIP can now be found at https://github.com/eliddell/rip-aoa/.
You should probably remove the install.js script, as that's only used by SeaMonkey 1.x and the old Mozilla Application Suite, AFAIK. Unless you want to support those very old applications that is.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

ejlddll

Unread post by ejlddll » 2021-05-12, 01:31

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-05-10, 07:27
You should probably remove the install.js script, as that's only used by SeaMonkey 1.x and the old Mozilla Application Suite, AFAIK. Unless you want to support those very old applications that is.
As it doesn't break anything in other browsers, I think I'll leave it alone unless someone reports it as broken or causing problems. It's possible, if unlikely, that someone trying to create a museum display piece might come by, in which case they're welcome to the code. ;)

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2021-05-12, 02:30

A related question if I may: any chance of you working on YARIP instead of RIP? I've been using the former for many years after the latter became unsupported at some point. Had to perform some very small changes at the time other than the usual .rdf hack, but since then it's been working fine, very few entries in the console log.

YARIP can do extensive CSS changes besides element hiding, on a domain-by-domain basis; at some point I had almost completely redesigned the AOL mail page as well as the mail.com page, back when I was still using the web interface for both. It's a complex tool, and yes it can be delicate/complicate to use for a non-tech savvy user. Still is THE one tool I wouldn't use a browser without, and I did check out some time back all other similar tools - with very dissapointing results (which may or may not be simply a matter of personal taste and/or habits).

Its license is GNU v3 found in the COPYING file.
CAA location: caa:addon/yarip.
Main page resurrected by archive org is here.
Sources may be found here (hopefully).

P.S. I've been using v0.3.4.1 all this time; apparently there's a newer 0.3.5.1 version in CAA but can't remember if I ever tested it.
P.P.S. Looks like 0.3.5.1 already targets Pale Moon, it just stopped at v25.*. Shouldn't be a problem to update it.

ejlddll

Unread post by ejlddll » 2021-05-18, 01:31

Current status: I've examined the existing TiddlyFox sources (thanks for the link, @GruntZ ), and determined that version 2.0 was the first Jetpack version. So the best fork point is 1.0alpha20, the last pure-XUL version. Problem is, that version has no way of revoking page-save permissions once given, and no way of telling what the state of permissions for the current page is.

So I'm pecking away at an interface rewrite which will have either a button or a status bar icon to show and change status, like the 2.0 versions do. It's going to take a little while.

(In the middle of working on this, we had the latest of a rash of small-appliance failures around the house, and my printer was the victim this time. Then some stuff for another open-source project I work on, the one with all the ebuild scripts, sideswiped me, so yeah, kind of busy here. I just wanted to assure everyone that I haven't forgotten about this project.)

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2021-05-18, 10:11

One user asked me in a private message what changes have I performed on the official YARIP to get it to work in Pale Moon. Unfortunately that user has (strangely) disabled their PMs so I can't reply in private. Since publishing the details here may not be a good idea from certain points of view I can only ask that user to unlock their PMs if they want a reply. Thank you.

ejlddll

Unread post by ejlddll » 2021-05-29, 20:24

I fear I did not do so well.

First the good news: There is a TiddlyFox port, and it fulfills the basic function of making saving your Classic Tiddlywikis easier. https://github.com/eliddell/tiddlymoon As usual, there is a tagged release with a .xpi for ease of installation.

The bad news is that this is a minimal port of the last Firefox XUL version of the extension (1.0.0alpha20) from ~2016. I bit off more than I could chew trying to add the features that would have brought it up to par with the Jetpack (2.x) versions. I felt that it was best to release this as-is so that people in need of the extension would have something to work with, rather than have everyone wait weeks/months/years for me to figure out exactly what I'm doing wrong.

I'm going to put the upgrade aside for a while until I feel less discouraged and generally exhausted. Any necessary maintenance will still be done.

Memophenon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Memophenon » 2021-09-14, 15:53

@ejlddll, Regrettably I still cannot judge how well you did.

I've downloaded https://github.com/eliddell/tiddlymoon, but I don't know how to install it. Pale Moon's Add-ons Manager is not of any help in this situation, and dropping all the stuff into Pale Moon's AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\.....\extensions\ folder doesn't work. I couldn't find a "tagged release with a .xpi for ease of installation" anywhere.

Any hint how to proceed?

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2021-09-14, 16:49

Memophenon wrote:
2021-09-14, 15:53
I couldn't find a "tagged release with a .xpi for ease of installation" anywhere.
The link is on the right side of the "code/commits" box.

https://github.com/eliddell/tiddlymoon/releases/tag/1.1
Attachments
releases.jpg
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Memophenon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Memophenon » 2021-09-14, 20:17

@LAR Grizzly: That does the trick!

@ejlddll: It backs up my old TiddlyWiki and stores the modified one in the right folder. Exactly what I need. What could I wish more? Great job!

Thanks both of you. Now I can upgrade to PM 29.4.1.