FORK of Firetray

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

francesco bat

FORK of Firetray

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-04-23, 12:58

Hi.
I forked the popular extension "Firetray" like "Moontray".
It can hide Palemoon in systemtray.
I uploaded it in Phoebus Panel waiting for approval. :)
Bye
Francesco bat

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: FORK of Firetray

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-23, 13:12

Sorry but as a binary extension.. Just changing the install manifest isn't going to fly for this one. You will need the skills to compile and maintain for both Windows and Linux.

Please demonstrate you can do this. Also please keep the community in the loop BEFORE you submit to reduce the amount of pre-reviewed versions as those can't be essily removed.

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-04-23, 13:30

I'm sorry!
I didn’t think it was more complicated than I expected.
In Linux i use Kdocker, in Windows I don’t know what alternative users have.
For me it’s not worth it, but if someone is going to continue the project on my already done, there are no problems 8-)
Bye
Francesco bat

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-23, 15:45

Well.. Binary Extensions are an animal of a different type. It has much more involved development requirements than a pure xul extension. No need to apologize.

Should I just delete it for now? Maybe you can get deeper into it once you are more comfortable with the basics.

Additional hint. We HATE when extensions have "moon" in the name. That fad went out of style at the end of 2015.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-23, 15:48

There is a similar one called kakusu which is Windows-only. Maybe this one could be changed to be Linux only or something.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-23, 15:51

I don't see why not but it may be too advanced for someone just starting out. No shame in that just a different kind of thing.

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-04-23, 16:31

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-23, 15:45
Well.. Binary Extensions are an animal of a different type. It has much more involved development requirements than a pure xul extension. No need to apologize.

Should I just delete it for now? Maybe you can get deeper into it once you are more comfortable with the basics.

Additional hint. We HATE when extensions have "moon" in the name. That fad went out of style at the end of 2015.
Yes.
You can delete it.
I have still some firefox extensions like firetray and they are disabled.
When i knew that they are going to be incompatible with palemoon, i disabled them; i have replaced firetray with kdocker (kakusu doesn't work in linux) and i have not problems.
Then i thought to fork firetray before that is going to disappear.
Now i continue to use Kdocker that also it can te be configured :)
Bye
Francesco bat

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-23, 16:35

I am sure you aren't the only one that wants a tray icon on linux so perhaps eventually another will spring up. Also, again, don't get discouraged. The odds of you wanting to fork another extension that happens to be a binary extension is VERY slim. There just weren't that many of them done.

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-04-24, 15:23

Thank you.
Is there a way to understand this type of extensions?
Now i created another fork but i have the suspect :think:
Now i post more details in other post that it is more appropriate :wave:
Bye
Francesco bat

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-26, 01:27

You will have to dig into the documentation, I don't think there's much by way of example for binary extensions. The biggest hurdle is having to build the binary component for each platform if you don't have a PC or virtual machine running them already and configured to compile them.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX