Non-critical but nice-to-have Fx extensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

[PCMartin]

Re: Non-critical but nice-to-have Fx extensions

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-04, 22:06

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-04-30, 21:55
The following legacy-Firefox extensions seem to work fine in Pale Moon 29.2.0 after a simple RDF compatibility hack:

QuickDrag @ caa:addon/quickdrag
Uppity @ caa:addon/uppity
Scroll to Top/Bottom @ caa:addon/scroll-to-topbottom
Bookmark All @ caa:addon/bookmark-all

The following extension hasn't worked entirely well for at least a couple/few Pale Moon point releases and probably needs a bit of substantive recoding. It still installs and "kind of works" with a simple RDF compatibility hack.

Searchbar Autosizer @ caa:addon/searchbar-autosizer
I've contacted the authors of all but one the above extensions and suggested a Pale Moon port. I wasn't able to accurately identify and find contact information for the author of Scroll to Top/Bottom (which is also the extension that apparently contained no copyright or licensing information).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-04, 22:36

Scroll to Top/Bottom, AMO ID 217285, is LGPL 3.

This information was apart of the 2014 scrape (I might remind you that I had the foresight to do this and no one else did) I contributed to that putrid chunk of distended rectum but like always he did a shitty job and didn't enter it into the amo metadata in the caa db. He just wanted to expand the number of extensions he could glory whore around with. After that my usefulness came to an end and he started back in on the same old shit escalating things. I tried so fucking hard to co-exist with him and give him some fraction of the benefit of the doubt everyone else mistakenly did automatically but nope. I was lured into making peace and then stabbed in the back once he had what he wanted.

Being attacked is one thing but out and out betrayal I will NEVER forgive and it goes without saying.. ever forget.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-05-05, 00:14

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-04, 22:06
Scroll to Top/Bottom (... that apparently contained no copyright or licensing information)
Both CAA, and the archive.org copies of its AMO page do provide the LGPL 3.0 license information for this extension.
(more generally, see this post + the one following.)

license info screenshots:
CAA ( caa:addon/scroll-to-topbottom )
scroll-topbottom[caa].png
from archive.org
scroll-topbottom[wayback].png

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-05, 00:56

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-04, 22:36
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-05-05, 00:14
Both CAA, and the archive.org copies of its AMO page do provide the LGPL 3.0 license information for this extension.
Thank you both. I initially missed the licensing information on Scroll to Top/Bottom's CAA page. I wasn't able to get any hits for the developer, BobDawg, on the Wayback Machine (or useful hits anywhere else).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-05, 00:58

IT WAS NOT there when I posted. It was unknown license. He's watching or coffeebreak alerted him. Even if it was there are plenty more that don't have the proper info.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-05, 13:38

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-04, 22:36

Being attacked is one thing but out and out betrayal I will NEVER forgive and it goes without saying.. ever forget.
To this end, I do not blame you one bit... betrayal is one of the worst things in this world. :(

Just plain ugly it is.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-05, 20:31

The author of:

has declined to fork it himself and reiterated that it's open-source, so Uppity is up for grabs.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-05-05, 20:53

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-05, 20:31
It may be worth knowing that Navigation Bar Enhancer includes similar functionality.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-05, 20:54

Falna wrote:
2021-05-05, 20:53
It may be worth knowing that Navigation Bar Enhancer includes similar functionality.
That looks like an advanced re-imagining of locationbar2. A superior choice for a fork imo.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-05, 21:50

Falna wrote:
2021-05-05, 20:53
Thanks, Falna. I installed Navigation Bar Enhancer and will play around with it for a while. Apart from having to get used to the breadcrumb display, the only functional drawbacks I'm spotting after a few minutes' use are:
  • Uppity can strip off domain prefixes (e.g., navigate from forum.palemoon.org to palemoon.org) whereas I'm not seeing a way of doing that with Navigation Bar Enhancer.
  • With long, "deeply nested" URLs, it's not immediately obvious how to quickly toggle between displaying the breadcrumbs at the beginning and the breadcrumbs at the end. Uppity displays all of the options in a dropdown list (though the entry for the current URL is sometimes truncated on the right).
But I will continue to play around with it. Thanks again for the tip!

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-06, 01:17

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-04, 22:06
The following extension hasn't worked entirely well for at least a couple/few Pale Moon point releases and probably needs a bit of substantive recoding. It still installs and "kind of works" with a simple RDF compatibility hack.

Searchbar Autosizer @ caa:addon/searchbar-autosizer
I also heard back from Searchbar Autosizer's developer, and that one's "up for grabs," too.

I've just gone through Searchbar Autosizer's Options, changing a lot of settings, and it looks like it might require more tweaking than I initially thought. A lot of settings aren't working correctly. Someone familiar with how Pale Moon's searchbar behavior has changed in recent years might not have too much trouble fixing it, but that's just an uninformed guess.

On another note, one of the issues I ran into in Searchbar Autosizer is that if you enable the "Shrink searchbar to Button if empty" option, a palette of toolbar buttons is displayed instead of just the Search button. I've seen similar behavior in Basilisk's "Session Manager" extension, for the "Save and Quit" button in the exit dialog. Is it possible there's been a shared change in how buttons are retrieved, in both Pale Moon and Basilisk? Again, this is just an uninformed guess.

Anyway, I suppose Searchbar Autosizer appeals mainly to users who like to see as much of the search string as possible in the searchbar while they're typing or editing it, and as much of the URL as possible in the address bar, without hovering over it, when the searchbar doesn't have focus. I guess that's a limited (but discerning! ;) ) audience. If anyone feels up to the challenge, the fork is all yours.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-09, 01:30

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-06, 01:17
[O]ne of the issues I ran into in Searchbar Autosizer is that if you enable the "Shrink searchbar to Button if empty" option, a palette of toolbar buttons is displayed instead of just the Search button. I've seen similar behavior in Basilisk's "Session Manager" extension, for the "Save and Quit" button in the exit dialog.
The "toolbar palette" problem in both browsers is almost certainly related to the CuteButtons extension. CuteButtons is listed on APO as compatible through Pale Moon 28.* but didn't get flagged or automatically disabled when Pale Moon was updated to 29.*. There's no min/max version information at ABBO. The extension is causing problems in Basilisk, too, but it hasn't been flagged or automatically disabled there, either.

At any rate, I've disabled the extension in both browsers and have contacted the author about the issue.

Squirrel42
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Squirrel42 » 2021-05-09, 10:56

KeiichiCAT wrote:
2021-04-28, 07:40
Text Link (Allows URI texts written in webpages to be loaded by double clicks)
http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_textlink.html.en
Advanced URL Builder, http://www.jamescookie.com/extensions/aub.html, has:
"Just Open Just leave the URL blank for this".
Yes, it is "Right click > Just Open" instead of double click, but maybe that is close enough?

MRCS4

Unread post by MRCS4 » 2021-05-09, 11:12

Since the "[OPEN CASTING CALL] Post your critical Firefox-only Extensions" topic is locked...
NoUn Buttons - caa:addon/noun-buttons
Back/Forward History Tweaks - caa:addon/back-forward-history-tweaks
Stop-or-Reload Button - caa:addon/stop-or-reload-button
Toggle Find Bar - caa:addon/toggle-find-bar

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-09, 20:08

Squirrel42 wrote:
2021-05-09, 14:25
I am sadly :-( missing [Downloads Statusbar].… Where did it go?
That's weird. I've been running Downloads Statusbar for quite a while in Pale Moon, and it continues to work — apparently "just fine" — in Pale Moon 29.2.0, but you're right: it's gone from Extensions: Download Management. From unzipping it, it appears (to my lay eyes) to be a bootstrapped extension, but I thought that wasn't a problem, at least not currently.

I'm running another extension (this one for Windows only) by the same author/forker (riiis) called Browser View Plus (PlayLink), and that, too, disappeared from Pale Moon's add-ons listing at some point while continuing to work "just fine." A simplified version (Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More) by the same author remains listed at the time of this posting, however, so it doesn't look like riiis has simply "taken all of his marbles and gone home."

I don't know what to say. I'm vaguely aware from a quick forum search that there might be bad blood between riiis and at least one of Pale Moon's lead developers, but the extension itself is very useful and still seems to work. I actually consider it one of my most important extensions. Not "Tab Mix Plus important," but close…

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-09, 20:38

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-09, 20:08
I don't know what to say.
Poking around a bit more, I see that maxVersion in Downloads Statusbar's install.rdf file was still set to 27.*, so I suppose this could be a case of "preemptive maintenance enforcement." I've left extensions.strictCompatibility in about:config to the default "false" and I have in fact run into problems with some extensions (e.g., CuteButtons) that no longer worked well with versions of Pale Moon that were higher than the extension's declared maxVersion. Pushing extension developers to keep an eye on version compatibility could pave the way toward changing the default for extensions.strictCompatibility to "true", which would prevent unmonitored, unmaintained extensions that may have become problematic from loading. Anyway, I'm just speculating.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-05-09, 21:32

Squirrel42 wrote:
2021-05-09, 14:25
I am sadly ... missing

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/downloadstatusbar-pm/
[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-09, 20:08
I don't know what to say.
It was among a group of riiis' extensions that were removed from APMO due to licensing issues.
See this thread, in particular here and here.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-10, 00:09

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-05-09, 21:32
It was among a group of riiis' extensions that were removed from APMO due to licensing issues.
Understood. It's a shame, as I'm guessing the problems were fixable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-10, 01:41

[PCMartin] wrote:
2021-05-10, 00:09
I'm guessing the problems were fixable.
They were. and very easily so. By adhering to the original licensing and using different branding graphics (on a number of them). Problems only caused by deliberate action or ignorant inaction, and not by coding difficulties.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite