Non-critical but nice-to-have Fx extensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Non-critical but nice-to-have Fx extensions

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-22, 19:10

I use one extension every time I open the add-on manager. From my perspective, this extension does not qualify as "critical", but I do believe it would be nice to have, if resources permit:

Cleanest Addon Manager caa:addon/cam - makes the Add-on Manager nicer to work in

Thanks for your consideration.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Non-critical but nice-to-have Fx extensions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-22, 19:29

VLMin wrote:
2021-04-22, 19:10
Cleanest Addon Manager caa:addon/cam
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/minama/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-22, 19:55

Thank you Moonchild. The good news is that the PM extensions are organized in categories; the bad news is that the PM extensions are organized in categories. Sometimes, one misses something, especially if a name differs significantly from that of an earlier instance.

One question about Minama: is there a way to cause the Add-ons Manager to remember the font size if I change it? It seems not to do so, and that has been a shortcoming of Cleanest Add-on Manager, IMO.

Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-22, 21:14

VLMin wrote:
2021-04-22, 19:55
is there a way to cause the Add-ons Manager to remember the font size if I change it?
No. it's not a regular content page so there is no way to remember that like on websites. That's not a shortcoming of the extension, it's just not possible in the application.
If you need to change font sizes of non-content pages then you may want to consider changing your system DPI since standard application font sizes are clearly not the desired value in that case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-22, 21:53

Thanks for the suggestion, Moonchild. I have my system set for 125%; that helps!

Is there a written description of the differences among adaptive, adaptive minimal, and minimal? I mean, I can see the differences, but with my eyesight, I always wonder whether I'm overlooking something.

Have a great day!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-22, 22:41

The "minimal" options have no details listed per add-on.
Adaptive uses a different font than Classic resulting in generally a more filled-out usage of space. (and "Minimal" is the minimal version of Classic)

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2021-04-23, 02:03

These are three Firefox extensions I rely on often but haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. They're not essential, but they make my browsing easier. Perhaps somebody knows of Pale Moon extensions that include some of their functionality that I just haven't discovered yet.
  • Fire IE caa:addon/fire-ie
  • Navigate Up caa:addon/navigate-up
  • URL Link caa:addon/url-link

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-23, 15:10

dfleiss wrote:
2021-04-23, 02:03
Navigate Up caa:addon/navigate-up
Navigation Bar Enhancer includes the same functionality.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

daftman1
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by daftman1 » 2021-04-23, 16:22

Custom Tab Width, caa:addon/custom-tab-width
I just need to set min/max tab width, haven't found anything in the descriptions of the other PM Tab-related extensions if they support this.
Apologies if I missed one which does that already, I tried searching for "Custom Tab width" as a string on the forums but that just gives results for any of the words, not the whole string as intended.

DNSSEC/TLSA Validator, caa:addon/dnssec-validator
This is out of support as it as targeting FF and never moved to WebExtensions. The CAA version 2.2.0.4 doesn't have the current root key anymore so doesn't work. However, there was a 2.2.0.5 version provided which I'm using which still works (https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/dnssec-validator/-/issues/77 , https://secure.nic.cz/files/dnssec-validator/2.2.0.5/ , second link is dead).
There also still is a git repo https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/dnssec-validator/ . I can also provide the 2.2.0.5 xpi if anyone is interested (is it allowed to attach here?)

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-23, 16:38

daftman1 wrote:
2021-04-23, 16:22
I just need to set min/max tab width
Are you familiar with Tab Mix Plus: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/. It does what you want and much, much more.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-23, 16:54

Two others I have found useful are:

Add-ons Manager Context Menu caa:addon/am-context, which adds a nice context menu inside the Add-ons Manager and

Cookieman Context caa:addon/cookieman-context, which adds context menus to the built-in cookie manager and cookie exceptions dialogs. I find the latter particularly useful at times.

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2021-04-23, 17:42

Falna wrote:
2021-04-23, 15:10
dfleiss wrote:
2021-04-23, 02:03
Navigate Up caa:addon/navigate-up
Navigation Bar Enhancer includes the same functionality.
Great! Thank you.

daftman1
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by daftman1 » 2021-04-23, 18:57

VLMin wrote:
2021-04-23, 16:38
daftman1 wrote:
2021-04-23, 16:22
I just need to set min/max tab width
Are you familiar with Tab Mix Plus: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/. It does what you want and much, much more.
Tried it, works fine - thanks for the tip!

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-23, 22:17

VLMin wrote:
2021-04-23, 16:54
Add-ons Manager Context Menu caa:addon/am-context, which adds a nice context menu inside the Add-ons Manager
A fork is on its way - keep a look out for Add-ons Inspector

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

daftman1
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by daftman1 » 2021-04-24, 10:07

Found I am really missing the functionality of this one after test-uninstalling it:
URL Tooltip, caa:addon/url-tooltip

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-24, 20:56

Falna wrote:
2021-04-23, 22:17
VLMin wrote:
2021-04-23, 16:54
Add-ons Manager Context Menu caa:addon/am-context, which adds a nice context menu inside the Add-ons Manager
A fork is on its way - keep a look out for Add-ons Inspector
Thank you! I see that Add-on Inspector and Copy As Plain Text are both already in the vault.

Since you seem very good and quick at doing this, and if I may be so bold, may I request

Go Parent Folder caa:list?q=go+parent+folder
Show Parent Folder caa:list?q=show+parent+folder
Omnibar caa:addon/omnibar and perhaps Omnibar Plus caa:addon/omnibar-plus

I find the first two to be great productivity enhancers, the third gets rid of the dual address and search bar configuration, leaving only the all-function address bar.

If I'm asking too much or being too forward, then by all means, please ignore this request. I do not mean to overstep in any way.

Thank you for your kindness and consideration.

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-04-26, 06:00

Flagfox - caa:addon/flagfox
Navigational Sounds - caa:addon/navigational-sounds

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-04-26, 09:03

Figueroa wrote:
2021-04-26, 06:00
Flagfox - caa:addon/flagfox
GeoFlag: https://realityripple.com/Software/Mozi ... s/GeoFlag/

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-04-26, 15:30

GeoFlag does the trick. Thank you.

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2021-04-27, 01:55

This is all turning out to be quite useful for me, as I am going through my extensions, being harsh and having a good clear-out.

My conclusion is that I need none of them - not one is critical to me. Should no extensions be available, it would be inconvenient, and make me even more of a balding, grumpy BOF, but it wouldn't stop me. I'd even go so far as to say that [heresy approaching] even PM isn't critical, eventually I'd settle on another browser ... but I'd be seriously grumpy along the way.

So far, I have come down to about 10 extensions that I feel I want. Luckily, most of them are already PM-compatible, and I'm left with 3 that are not. I'd appreciate forking of, or suggestions for substitutes for these two:
  • Clipple - caa:addon/clipple - a clipboard manager
  • CookieKeeper - caa:addon/cookiekeeper - a cookie manager
[And, before anyone asks, the third is LastPass free, even in its even-more emasculated state.]
Usually, I'm wrong. But, sometimes, I'm right.
Usually, I'm Left. But, sometimes, I'm Right.
Usually, I'm left-handed. But, sometimes, I'm right-handed.