Password Management Beginning With PM 29.2.0

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Password Management Beginning With PM 29.2.0

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-22, 18:49

Based upon today's announcement about 29.2.0 and extensions, it appears there will no longer be any third-party password manager that works with Pale Moon. So I have two questions:

1. Is anyone aware of a third-party PWD manager that does still work in PM 29.2.x?

2. Considering the use of the built-in PWD manager, would someone be willing to describe how to migrate RoboForm 7.x passwords into PM? I am aware of the RF 8 terminal free version; has anyone used this to export logins/passwords, and then is there a way to import them into PM?

3. Is there some option I'm missing?

Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Password Management Beginning With PM 29.2.0

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-22, 18:57

Why weren't you asking this months ago and seeing if those vendors would actually support us?

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-22, 19:29

Sorry, I thought I was responding on a different topic. I have asked RoboForm, Stick Password, Last Pass, KeePass. RF left XUL behind years ago. SP works apparently, but only 32-bit, and I've no idea how to fix that. LP isn't interested in XUL, and I never really heard anything useful about KeePass.

EDIT: I would add that, IMO, the absence of a single third-party PWD manager puts PM in a somewhat tenable position.

Regarding my request for input, I am hoping that someone has successfully moved logins from RoboForm into PM and is willing to share his/her process. I think that's a reasonable request.

Finally, some time ago I initiated a thread regarding going forward with RoboForm, and the thread was almost immediately and quite brusquely locked by a moderator. So I didn't try again until today's announcement prompted me into action.

Matt, you are doing wonderful work that benefits a great many people. But PLEASE, calm down. Users are not your enemies, and no one will ever see the world exactly as you or I or anyone else does — or wish to.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-22, 19:53

VLMin wrote:
2021-04-22, 18:49
Use a standalone password manager.
I use Keepass, which can semi-automatically / manually fill passwords into any browser. It can allegedly export-import to RoboForm.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-22, 20:01

Falna wrote:
2021-04-22, 19:53
VLMin wrote:
2021-04-22, 18:49
Use a standalone password manager.
I use Keepass, which can semi-automatically / manually fill passwords into any browser. It can allegedly export-import to RoboForm.
Thanks for the suggestion. I investigated KeePass some time ago, but only in the context of a browser extension; perhaps I misunderstood the intent. I'll look into it again.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2021-04-22, 20:20

In moving from LastPass I did it the hard way. I just logged in to each site and had Pale Moon save the password with the built in manager. I didn't save every password for every site saved, just the ones I use at least semi-regularly. For everything else I exported the password file so I can import it into Keepass in case I ever need any of the other ones. It didn't take too long.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-22, 20:31

I can't wait for your accounts to be compromised by a leak in a cloud password service.

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2021-04-22, 20:54

KeePassXC has auto-type feature, no extension required. It support password import in CSV file.

tarakbumba
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by tarakbumba » 2021-04-22, 21:19

Attronarch wrote:
2021-04-22, 20:54
KeePassXC has auto-type feature, no extension required. It support password import in CSV file.
I also use KeePassXC with Title Bar Customizer extension (which adds url to window title to use with KeePass and KeePassXC auto-type feature) without an issue.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-22, 21:58

Thanks everyone, especially for pointing out KeePassXC! I hadn't found that yet. I'm now investigating transfer of non-standard data such as login notes and RF SafeNotes from RF to KP. Sounds like this is the direction to go.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-23, 04:58

I use Bitwarden, it has apps for desktop and mobile. Fully open source and the password vault is locally encrypted on your device so even if their server is compromised your passwords can't be read by anyone. Obviously you are on your own where remembering the vault password is concerned, they can't offer a ''forgot password' feature for this reason.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

daftman1
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by daftman1 » 2021-04-23, 07:46

I'm using Keepass with the KeepassHttp plugin (Keepass plugin, not PM plugin).
With PassIFox browser plugin I can trigger username/password fill in the Browser with a right mouseclick.
It's not fully automatic, but I prefer that anyway.
I'm not sure about PM 29.2 compatibility of PassIFox as it's a FF XUL plugin - have listed it in the other thread for extensions though.

The nice thing is that this works on both Linux and Windows (although unfortunately Keepass needs Mono to run on Linux).

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2021-04-23, 16:42

moonbat wrote:
2021-04-23, 04:58
I use Bitwarden, it has apps for desktop and mobile. Fully open source and the password vault is locally encrypted on your device so even if their server is compromised your passwords can't be read by anyone. Obviously you are on your own where remembering the vault password is concerned, they can't offer a ''forgot password' feature for this reason.
Thank you moonbat. Are you able to fill in PWDs from within PM, or do you have to go outside, get the info, and bring it back? Also, are you aware of whether Bitwarden offers a way to store non-logins, such as some kind of secure notes feature?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-24, 03:51

No, it doesn't integrate with PM or any browser, that's why they provide browser extensions. The built in password manager is fine for my purpose, Bitwarden is just a backup and for the cases where I need to login to an app or site on my phone. Anyhow other than the highly unlikely case of successfully persuading them to port their extension to PM we have no other option. The service started only a couple of years ago so they don't even have a legacy XUL version, and extensions for websites and external services are not good forking candidates anyway.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2021-04-24, 22:29

I was lucky enough to move my Roboform extension from Firefox to Palemoon while they were still close enough that you could port the extensions - the Roboform port stopped working long before Firefox officially abandoned UXP (not sure why, but it did).

Anyway, because my Roboform extension still works, I've just guarded this profile with my life and moved it around from computer to computer as carefully as humanly possible.

Since I highly doubt Siber Systems (maker of Roboform) will make a backwards compatible extension for UXP, I tried my hand at the quick 'n' dirty solution offered by coffeebreak here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24806

No dice, probably 'cause the Roboform extension was carefully coded to hook into the desktop program and is very sensitive to any fiddling. Apparently, the XPI is corrupt and Palemoon is refusing to install it, which I'm disappointed by, but not surprised, since I'm a total noob when it comes to browser coding.

I love Palemoon, but I guess I'm stuck on this current version until I can figure out a password extension.
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen.

He is not a tame Lion...but he is Good.

Connect, Respect, Protect

Let's Keep the Peace!

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-24, 23:29

sunstarunicorn wrote:
2021-04-24, 22:29
XPI is corrupt
That's often because of a problem zipping the files - in particular zipping up the folder containing folder plus the extension's files, rather than just the extension's files. There are also reports that some zip software can cause problems. 7Zip definitely works.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2021-04-24, 23:58

Falna wrote:
2021-04-24, 23:29
sunstarunicorn wrote:
2021-04-24, 22:29
XPI is corrupt
That's often because of a problem zipping the files - in particular zipping up the folder containing folder plus the extension's files, rather than just the extension's files. There are also reports that some zip software can cause problems. 7Zip definitely works.
Thanks, Falna.

I was very careful not to make the mistake of zipping up the whole folder, so the new XPI only had the extension files inside it. I do have 7zip, but I was using Win 7's 'Send To' function.

I did discover my mistake, actually, when I was working on my other addons that are technically for Firefox, but still work perfectly with Palemoon. I was messing with the install.rdf file a bit too much and that caused the problem. Shouldn't have touched the <em:id> tags, I guess. (insert noob faceplant)

Was a bit late to try it out on Roboform again, though - that particular addon unpacked by default, so I'd screwed up my courage and messed with the files in my profile (after backing up said profile and while Palemoon wasn't running, of course). Thanks be to the Lord, it worked and I wasn't about to mess with it any further!

I realize this is a total hack/cop out and I probably need to seriously investigate other password programs/extensions now, but for now, my Roboform is safe again. And only on my local drive! No cloud for me, way too easy to get hacked...
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen.

He is not a tame Lion...but he is Good.

Connect, Respect, Protect

Let's Keep the Peace!

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-04-26, 05:35

There are also reports that some zip software can cause problems. 7Zip definitely works.
7zip does work, but there is a potential landmine in there. It only works if you zip the extension using the zip format. If you use the 7z format, as I did out of habit, it will fail. doh!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-26, 05:53

Figueroa wrote:
2021-04-26, 05:35
It only works if you zip the extension using the zip format.
Filed under bleeding obvious :roll:
You have to be careful of what you're doing.

TomDD
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by TomDD » 2021-04-29, 14:53

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-22, 20:31
I can't wait for your accounts to be compromised by a leak in a cloud password service.
LOL, I guess a leak or hacking into the default password manager of PM is far more possibly.