QUESTION on google-search-link-fix

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

QUESTION on google-search-link-fix

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-04-22, 16:13

I have this extension installed (caa:addon/google-search-link-fix) but I am not sure if it is still needed or working. I seem to recall it removed some annoying feature from google, but nowadays I use such search engine very seldom only when strictly necessary.
It is the only active extension I have marked as "not designed for palemoon"
New Tobin Paradigm in a specific not-for-discussion thread gave this rule and wrote wrote:
2021-04-06, 07:28
Rule 3: Please attempt to find out if they are Jetpack (Add-ons SDK) by looking for package.json or harness-options.json in the XPI file and if they are then DO NOT LIST THEM.
I did not know anything about Jetpack befote looking it up and even now I can't say to know it. I only note that I have two extensions whose xpi is named {id}@jetpack.xpi. One is for google-search-link-fix but does not contain the listed json. The other one is for IDCAC which has package.json but is not flagged as "not designed for palemoon" so I assume it will be OK (actually I currenlty have IDCAC disabled in favour of an IDCAC rule in ABL).
Can someone enlighten me ? Just information, I am not requesting a solution or replacement.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: QUESTION on google-search-link-fix

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-22, 17:44

Well, that extension is aimed at a specific service, so it would fail to meet a different rule for that thread.

Anyway, in my personal opinion you can remove it completely.
Not only the chances of it being useless (even if not broken) are reaching 100% the more time passes, but you are better off in the long run by ditching Google entirely in favour of something else, instead of trying to work around their deficiencies.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: QUESTION on google-search-link-fix

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-04-23, 11:37

Indeed I've already almost ditched it, except when needed (unfortunately the case for some institutional stuff since my institution uses Gsuite). I use duckduckgo as search engine (might resort to google only to find some funny image sometimes). I use openstreetmap (which is great for footpaths) but I may reluctantly use google maps for street view or for public transport timetables.
I will try to run with the nominated extension disabled for a while and see.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)