Looking for recommendation for tab grouping add-on

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

petercooperjr
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Looking for recommendation for tab grouping add-on

Unread post by petercooperjr » 2021-04-22, 14:16

Hello! I've been happily using the "Tab Groups Helper" 1.0.30 extension, which needs the "Tab Groups" 0.4 extension I believe, for many years now. With the removal of non-Pale-Moon-targeting extensions (which I do understand the necessity of, despite the pain that it'll bring), I'm trying to figure out what I should move to instead and was hoping the community here had some suggestions. I can't find much on the Internet about "Tab Groups Helper" at all anymore (and it's been many years since I first installed it), so I'm assuming the best answer isn't to fork it for Pale Moon myself, though I suppose I could be wrong.

I feel like my requirements are fairly simple; I just want two "levels" of tabs, where there are groups to pick from, and then within each group has "normal" tabs inside it. I also regularly use the search within my open tabs (inside of a group) to find what tab I'm looking for. I think the trickiest thing may be that I'd like to be able to "import" my current tab groupings (which since it's built on top of the somewhat-standard "Tab Groups" that came from Panorama, I'm hoping is fairly simple?).

The Bookmarks and Tabs section of the add-ons list seems to have many options, but I'm not sure what's being regularly maintained well or what would be easiest to migrate to. I suppose I could just (after making more profile backups of course) try several of them out when I get a chance, but if people here have more specific suggestions I'd find that helpful. Thanks!

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Looking for recommendation for tab grouping add-on

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-04-22, 20:07

I'm not sure if you have the Classic Add-ons Archive extension installed, but it is a great place to find old extensions. The two you are referencing are located in there at these locations:
caa:addon/tab-groups-helper
caa:addon/tab-groups-panorama

Both appear to be modifiable with a simple edit of their respective install.rdf files. See this link for info on adding the Pale Moon GUID to that file:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24806

I don't use those extensions, so I can't tell if they are working as desired after the modifications.

petercooperjr
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Looking for recommendation for tab grouping add-on

Unread post by petercooperjr » 2021-04-22, 20:19

Thank you. Tab Groups is actually the Panorama-repackaged-for-Pale-Moon already available at https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tabgroups/
So really it's just the Tab Groups Helper that needs to be updated or replaced. It just somehow needs the Tab Groups add-on installed in order to work, I believe, since it's originally from back when Panorama was integrated with Firefox.

I appreciate the information on how to update the extension to mark it compatible. Probably in the short-to-medium term that would work fine, seeing as the extension been working fine all along on Pale Moon. I'm a bit more concerned about the longer-term implications, where I would need to properly fork it and fix it in the case Pale Moon ends up having incompatible changes. I feel like I've lucked out so far that it just continues to work. So I'd like to know if there's some better already-maintained alternative out there that I should just start using instead (or at least I should try out) before I start exploring in that direction.