Does the 'Stylem' extension work on PM 29?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Binky

Does the 'Stylem' extension work on PM 29?

Unread post by Binky » 2021-04-20, 23:03

I'm using Pale Moon 29.1.1 in Linux Mint 20 XFCE.

Due to developing cataracts, I'm finding it difficult to view web pages with bright backgrounds, so I want to use a global dark style on all sites.

I installed Stylem 2.2.6 from the PM addons site. I installed several dark themes from userstyles.org, but they don't have any effect on any web sites. I checked that the styles were enabled, but it's as though Stylem is not doing anything.

Am I doing something wrong, or does the Stylem extension not work with userstyles.org styles? If the latter, is there anywhere else to get global styles from?

If Stylem doesn't work, can someone suggest a working alternative?

I've also tried the 'Advanced Night Mode' extension, but that routinely causes problems: input text fields change to a dark background, but the input font stays black, so it's unreadable.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Does the 'Stylem' extension work on PM 29?

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-21, 03:54

Stylem is working fine, check your script for errors. Most styles and scripts on Userstyles and similar sites haven't been updated in years. If you're installing a script that's several years out of date it will be surprising if it works on the Chrome focused web of today.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2021-04-21, 05:39

First off, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with cataracts.

Stylem is working for me too and it might be helpful if you posted a userstyle you're trying. For example, does this userstyle do anything?

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://"),url-prefix("https://") {
@-moz-document regexp("*") {* {color: #ffffff !important; background-color: #000000 !important;}}
}
Another option would be to try a bookmarklet like this one this one for example.

Binky

Unread post by Binky » 2021-04-22, 06:06

Thanks for the responses.

@0strodamus

I tried your example script, but it has no effect.

I disabled all extensions except Stylem, I removed all user styles, I created a new user style using your script, and then I restarted Pale Moon.
All extensions disabled except Stylem
All extensions disabled except Stylem
The user style script
The user style script
The user style is enabled
The user style is enabled
The user style has no effect.
The user style has no effect.
I have since found a working solution without using Stylem: I created a userContent.css file in my user profile. It isn't very refined yet, but it makes the background dark grey and the text off-white, so it's much more comfortable for me.
This is the same page using the userContent.css file
This is the same page using the userContent.css file

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-22, 06:25

The style works for all sites, as designed, all of them have a black background. Something else is wrong with your setup. Ensure that the style code is exactly as 0stradamus provided, the editor contains nothing else and the style is globally enabled. You may have to refresh the page as well.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Binky

Unread post by Binky » 2021-04-22, 09:22

@moonbat

Yes, you're right.

There seems to be something messed up with my PM profile.

I temporarily renamed the '.moonchild productions' folder and started Pale Moon so it created a new profile. I installed the Stylem extension and created the script from 0strodamus, and it worked perfectly.

So now I'll transfer my bookmarks and passwords into my new profile and reinstall the other extensions and check that it continues working correctly.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2021-04-23, 05:44

I'm glad to hear you're making progress. Good luck with everything!