Expire history by day

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Expire history by day

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-04-12, 10:03

Not to violate the rules in the thread initiated by Tobin "[OPEN CASTING CALL] Post your critical Firefox-only Extensions" viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26542 I post here a question about "Expire history by days".

I have EHBD 1.2.1 which is marked as "not designed for Palemoon It may not ..." in the Addon manager for my PM 29.0.1. It is one of the two enabled extensions marked as such after the upgrade to 29.0.1, and as such it was reported in the above mentioned thread. However I did not check in the PM addon repository (I assumed the "not designed" marking meant not in the repository), I see now in https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/expir ... y-by-days/ there is an EHBD 1.2.4 marked "Pale Moon 27.0.0 to 28.* "

Does it mean it won't work for 29.* ?
And if instead it does, what is the correct upgrade procedure ? Will 1.2.4 overwrite 1.2.1, or do I have to remove or disable 1.2.1 before installing 1.2.4 ?
Thanks
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Expire history by day

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-12, 10:45

The compatibility data there means that it has been tested on 27 to 28. However, you can still install it on 29, since the author haven't enabled "strictCompatibility". As for "if it will work", YMMV.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-12, 11:00

Should.. Places hasn't changed THAT much over the years.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-04-12, 11:27

Uninstall the original first as the "ID" is changed and it wont over write it.
Last edited by billmcct on 2021-04-12, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-04-12, 11:35

OK, I tried (and started writing this before seeing the previous post) to install 1.2.4 "over" 1.2.1. It did install it "along" with 1.2.1, so I disabled the old one. It inherited the preferences (which are a trivial scalar). I did a browser restart and got no error (I'd have to wait at least two days with browser running to check it works but ...
... I do really thing so (I kdiff3-compared the content of the xpi's ...which are quite minimal though still hardly legible :? for me
  • META-INF/ is no longer in the new version
  • install.rdf have different "comments" (or annotations or whatever)
  • bootstrap.js is identical
  • options.xul is identical
So "the code" should be actually the same ...
Last edited by Lucio Chiappetti on 2021-04-12, 11:55, edited 2 times in total.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-12, 11:48

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2021-04-12, 11:35
META-INF/ is no longer in the new version
That's only for storing signatures of digitally signed extensions. Pale Moon doesn't force extension signing so that directory is redundant when porting from Firefox.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-12, 12:11

And including it when it has been altered would just be a broken signature anyway.