[0427] Are you forking Firefox Extensions? Because time is almost up!

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

WiseWolf

Re: [0427] Are you forking Firefox Extensions? Because time is almost up!

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-02, 15:18

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-29, 12:41

I guess in 2021, patience is no longer a virtue.
It still is a virtue, people just don't recognize it as much. Therefore, its a very rare virtue now.

That being said, as I said via pm, I am glad you are removing the old compatibility, due to the fact that those addons haven't been updated in a while, and are most likely insecure.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-02, 15:26

Not necessarily insecure. They may be using obsolete APIs that aren't supported. I found exactly that problem with Developer Assistant - calling XPCOM interfaces going back to Gecko 1.8 - and I changed it to the newer equivalent to get parts of it to work when I forked it as Extension Developer.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-02, 15:27

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-02, 15:26
Not necessarily insecure. They may be using obsolete APIs that aren't supported. I found exactly that problem with Developer Assistant - calling XPCOM interfaces going back to Gecko 1.8 - and I changed it to the newer equivalent to get parts of it to work when I forked it as Extension Developer.
Still though, removing stuff like that may speed up the browser. heh.

Squirrel42
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Squirrel42 » 2021-05-09, 14:07

I found another two replacements :-) :

Firefox: URL link -> Pale Moon: http://www.jamescookie.com/extensions/aub.html
Firefox: https://getfireshot.com/ -> Pale Moon: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/take-page-screenshot/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-09, 14:24

Fireshot is fully Pale Moon compatible.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-05-09, 14:57

Squirrel42 wrote:
2021-05-09, 14:07
Firefox: URL link -> Pale Moon: http://www.jamescookie.com/extensions/aub.html
Which is also here: Pale Moon - Add-ons - Advanced URL Builder

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-10, 10:34

Squirrel42 wrote:
2021-05-09, 14:07
I found another two replacements :-) :

Given the growing number of forked extensions - the Pale Moon addons site should be your first stop when looking for extensions, not any legacy Firefox page or CAA. Those only have value now for looking for fork candidates.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Squirrel42
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Squirrel42 » 2021-05-10, 18:25

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-10, 10:34
Given the growing number of forked extensions - the Pale Moon addons site should be your first stop when looking for extensions
That is right! When using function "D" of add-on ABC, it is sometimes hard to find add-on ZYX with main purpose "W", which also does "D" (which is in a category where "W" is reasonably placed but "D" is not suspected). That cannot be helped, but I like to tell my finding in an attempt to help other users who search for ABC and then read here about ZYX. Maybe I'm just bad at finding things in the Pale Moon addons site, but writing about possible replacements should neither hurt anyone very much, except taking time to read and using real estate in the forum.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-10, 18:57

We're (well mostly Tobin at this point) working on getting an overview up of extensions that have been asked about, their status, and forks that would perform the same function. So a little patience will get you your information needed to know ZYX is a replacement for ABC
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bukvatykev

Unread post by bukvatykev » 2021-05-10, 19:42

RSS for new extensions would be also nice

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-11, 23:11

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-26, 12:49
Also for the record, there have been over 60 submissions since Feb 14th. A couple were invalid or re-submits.. Still not to shabby for a barely motivated community. Props to those past and present for stepping up and actually DOING something other than bitching like palem. :thumbup:

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM `addon` WHERE `type` = 'extension' AND `active` = 1
On May 3rd the number was 244 with a gain of 12-15 from the previous week. Today on May 11th the number is 252 so a gain of eight since the third. Which brings our total from Feb, where I in no uncertain terms (in a JustOff thread) laid out future plans, to over 80 extensions created or forked.

This is outstanding! Of course, it would have been better if this was happening in 2016 but for that amount in 2021 it is pretty stellar. So to all those programmers or not alike, keep it up! The best is yet to come.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-05-12, 09:06

bukvatykev wrote:
2021-05-10, 19:42
RSS for new extensions would be also nice
Until it arrives, there is Update Alert

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: [0427] Are you forking Firefox Extensions? Because reasons!

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-18, 13:26

Welp, week later and we stand at 252 extensions that are active. I deleted an old pseudo-static so I guess we had 1 new extension this past week. Come on, lots of prospects here: http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/phoenix-extensions/ including JustOff and bad riiis extensions which are EASY as they already work!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-30, 20:14

Almost two weeks later and we stand at 254 active extensions on the Add-ons Site. Come on guys we can do better than this! I believe in you.