Where is Turbo Downloader?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

francesco bat

Where is Turbo Downloader?

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-03-29, 19:45

Hi!
I have Turbo Downloader on Palemoon, but now i can not to find the addon page.
The link was: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/turbo-downloader/
but now it is: 404 Not Found
Is it normal?
Bye
Francesco bat

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Where is Turbo Downloader?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-29, 20:14

Riiis has decided not to address branding or open source license infringement discovered during an audit and has chosen to have his offending extensions deactivated and eventually purged RATHER than fix them. According to the audit this extension used the icon from the original extension it was forked from.

Basically, if you use his extensions it is more important for him to pretend they never existed than admit he was wrong and correct his mistakes by removing/changing an icon or selecting the actual legal license from a drop down box thus leaving you.. Out in the cold.

Sad really but we only have our selves to blame for not taking more time in the early days to prevent this sort of stuff despite it being well known for years after the Adblock Plus incident that forks MUST HAVE a unique and distinct name, new id, and branding. Oh well, live and learn right? Or in the case of riiis lie, cheat and steal, then hide like a coward.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-30, 11:03

I've been overzealous about not infringing on licenses or branding for my extensions for this reason, it's a pity that CC licensed icons I've found and used are so bland looking :(
I'm no graphics artist or would've tried my hand at creating original ones.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-03-30, 11:51

moonbat wrote:
2021-03-30, 11:03
I'm no graphics artist or would've tried my hand at creating original ones.
I do that even if I suck, step up your game ;) ;)

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-03-30, 12:22

I can’t believe these things happen :shock:
I found the real software: https://sourceforge.net/projects/turbo- ... d-manager/
It is not an addon but it can to be used in all desktop (Windows, Linux, Mac OS).
Today is always more difficult download on web also from extensions.
It's always more useful to have applications like this or like Jdownloader 8-)
Bye
Francesco bat

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-30, 12:39

I'm still using the original DownThemAll and it works great.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

palem
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by palem » 2021-04-02, 12:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-03-29, 20:14
Riiis has decided not to address branding or open source license infringement discovered during an audit and has chosen to have his offending extensions deactivated and eventually purged RATHER than fix them.
I also do not see another extension by Riii: "Super Start Dialing Speed".

It looks a broader problem associated with an exaggerated formal approach and sometimes arrogant behavior of someone in PM, who causes some important for PM developers to discourage PM (currently Riiis and earlier JustOff).

As PM is my main browser, I hope that the most important people in PM will finally see this problem and do something with it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-02, 12:24

The PROBLEM is riiis and half his extensions using intellectual property he doesn't own that should have been changed during the forking process or was listed under the wrong licence mainly claiming GPL3 when it was clearly MPL 1.1 or 2.0 of the non-tri-license kind.

That is theft plain and simple. Something we have been accused of doing or facilitating. After an audit the Add-ons Team presented these violations to riiis and his choice was to ask for them to be deactivated and removed the offending extensions at the detriment of all of us instead of taking an hour and resolving the issues.

You have to understand that we all must maintain the highest standards for add-ons submitted to the Add-ons Site Service. Trust and integrity must be maintained and enforced at all times else there is no point to having it at all.

This is not a game or a hobby or whatever misconception used to justify selfish bs.. it is our passion and commitment to everyone. Our duty to you.
palem wrote:
2021-04-02, 12:20
It looks a broader problem associated with an exaggerated formal approach and sometimes arrogant behavior of someone in PM, who causes some important for PM developers to discourage PM (currently Riiis and earlier JustOff).
If you truly believe this then you should just abandon all because in these cases we, MCP/BinOC/Cross-Community Core, are ALL of the same mind on this. I am merely the most vocal.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-04-02, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-04-02, 12:58

palem wrote:
exaggerated formal approach
Apparently ensuring that FLOSS licenses are followed to the letter is "exaggerated".
palem wrote:
and sometimes arrogant behavior of someone in PM,
Sorry, but in my experience, it was riiis who was arrogant. I've seen this when they insisted that they remove any mention of their "Color Identifier" in my "ColorPili" fork. As if their version had any significant differences with the original (other than the removal of the ability to choose what to copy to the clipboard, which is a huge DOWNGRADE for the user IMO). They also wrongly stated that my fork was less localized, when in fact their version didn't have any locale at all!

They also claimed things about Pale Moon as if they are an authority (like the statusbar being native, when in fact it was taken from an add-on), which were quickly debunked by code.

So tell me, who's the arrogant one here?

As for JustOff, while his contributions to the add-ons community was important and appreciated, I didn't like his behaviour while he and the PMAO team were handling his migration out of the PMAO.
palem wrote:
who [sic] causes some important for PM developers to discourage PM (currently Riiis and earlier JustOff).
I understand JustOff, but riiis? I think their significance and importance is overrated. AFAIK they just only forked a dozen or two of legacy Firefox extensions, often without any significant changes to the code (sometimes there weren't any at all, or if there are changes, they erronI eously change the add-ons license without the original author's permission! They did that in Color Identifier, which I had to correct in my ColorPili fork.). I don't understand at all. Even a 5-year-old can probably simply change install.rdf to make it work on Pale Moon, and get the highest-level of praise they don't deserve.
palem wrote:
I hope that the most important people in PM will finally see this problem and do something with it.
So being consistent in legal, code, and roadmap matters is a problem right now. And if the PM developers then tried to do the opposite, you guys will then complain and say that Pale Moon is not consistent and doesn't have a future because it's not evolving. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If it pleases your entitled asses off, I will try looking into extensions that riiis forked, and pick some that are interesting and useful to me. I won't promise anything though, I'm just a volunteer after all and I have my own extensions, hobbies, and academics to take care of.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-02, 13:03

Well a couple dozen half-assed forks, A dozen proper forks and a dozen or so new extensions by my count.

But as we all know, in the end quality often trumps quantity. Especially the quality (or lack therein) of the person in question.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-02, 15:52

2021-03-29, 20:14
Riiis has decided not to address branding or open source license infringement discovered during an audit and has chosen to have his offending extensions deactivated and eventually purged RATHER than fix them.
Could they all be listed so that users (and possible forkers) know what was removed?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-02, 15:58

That information is restricted from the public.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-04-02, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-02, 18:33

2021-04-02, 15:58
restricted to the public
to the public...?

Are you saying that in your view the public is restricted from knowing? If so, why?
Or with tagless sarcasm, that it's already available in public so "go look it up yourselves"?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-02, 18:45

riiis still has time to change course. His time expires when I finish Phoebus 3.0 and all deactivated add-ons are purged from the datastore during the migration and clean up. Mainly JustOff's and any deactivated at the request of riiis.

Will be a few months away yet. Despite his potential knee-jerk reaction to the Add-ons Team's audit he can still, for the moment, choose to resolve this before then and bring half his extensions back into legal compliance. Until such time, you can find out on your own and re-fork if that is what you want to do but he at the very least deserves this one chance to do the right thing and I am not gonna undercut that chance by parading a list of half of his extensions out for the public.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-02, 20:43

I see. Thanks for stating your thinking.

For sure, it's solely your decision.
Though I wish you'd reconsider.

Riiis has already been "embarrassed" (if he even reacted that way to make it relevant), and making the list of removed items public would hardly prevent him changing his decision and fixing licensing problems where possible.
(Though based on past behavior, I don't picture that he will.)

My own view is that individuals who rely on his extensions deserve to know if the one(s) they use have been removed (and will become permanently unavailable), so they can plan accordingly, both as regards forking and personal use.
Because once the extensions are purged from the datastore, the XPIs will impossible or VERY hard to come by (from somewhere like archive.org). And riiis never published the source of any extension except through its install file.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-02, 20:59

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-04-02, 20:43
My own view is that individuals who rely on his extensions deserve to know if the one(s) they use have been removed (and will become permanently unavailable), so they can plan accordingly, both as regards forking and personal use.
Because once the extensions are purged from the datastore, the XPIs will impossible or VERY hard to come by (from somewhere like archive.org). And riiis never published the source of any extension except through its install file.
That is entirely up to the developer, in this case riiis.
The service delivering the extensions and their updates (in this case the add-ons website and the AUS) and the service operators don't have any obligation to act as a messenger between users and developers.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-02, 21:11

I wish some people would stop assuming that all decisions are solely mine just because I am the one saying it. I tell you people things because I have it all in my head. The whole picture and the history that went into painting that picture. That is why it is often me saying it instead of someone else. They also have other things to be concerned about and I merely try and coordinate and make sure people are informed of everything including this community.

The fact that no word from riiis has been made publicly regarding twenty-five of his extensions suddenly deactivated from the Add-ons Site merely serves to prove that once caught he will hide and pretend to have never done anything wrong. I already stated this but his other half are also in good standing. I am merely trying to coordinate the problem as it is in reality. Though, vannilla is quite correct. It is not the job of the Add-ons Team to inform each user of each extension what is going on. That is the developer's responsibility.

NOW SEEING AS riiis WAS involved in the original coup attempt any time he is called out for doing something he tends to go into hiding or simply lie about it. This has been an on-going problem for years like many other on-going problems. Though the public disclosure of the situation in this thread is ONLY because it was asked about and time passed since he last responded to the Add-ons Team Leader as far as I know he has no intention of doing the right thing with the time allotted. It was his choice to hide and damn every one of his users because he got caught with several pairs of pants down.

Beyond that it is between him and the Add-ons Team Leader.. The only point that I am involved in is dissemination of information and history and the consequence of him doing nothing when it comes time for the new software to land and the migration and clean up process. Those are the simple facts of the case.

tl;dr Don't damn me because of his scummy behavior and refusing to do the right and legal thing.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-02, 23:08

vannilla wrote:
2021-04-02, 20:59
don't have any obligation
Well, not in the sense that they can be forced. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

2021-04-02, 21:11
I wish some people would stop assuming that all decisions are solely mine just because I am the one saying it.
2021-04-02, 21:11
it is between him and the Add-ons Team Leader.
By "solely your decision", I meant it in the sense that I or other users can't make the decision.
But it should have been worded differently.

For one, of course riiis can publish the full list (though judging from the past, that won't happen.)

But for another, there is no reason that Add-ons site personnel (not limited to you personally, Tobin) couldn't also be the ones to share the information.

I understand that riiis' own decisions/actions are responsible for the extensions being removed. He is totally, exclusively responsible for creating the necessity to remove them.

But that doesn't mean that only riiis can make the removal list public.
It was an Add-ons Site decision. How could you'all not be able, if you are willing, to make public to users the names of what you'all took down? I simply think it's in users' interests, for the reasons posted earlier, for the list to be made public. So I hope Add-ons Site personnel will have another think on it, set aside concerns about fault or its misattribution, and post the list of extensions by riiis that were were removed.

-Peace Out-

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-02, 23:16

Because it doesn't actually matter. He wants them removed instead of fixing it that is his decision. He wants to be a coward or steal code that is his decision. Again, the ONLY reason this thread exists is because some user asked and I provided an answer. Now what would you have me do? Continue to state over and over again how shitty riiis is to the Add-ons Team, the Phoebus Administrators, to fellow add-on developers and to the community its self? Cause you know I will until the heat death of the universe because it is the truth.

BUT what is that going to accomplish at this point, hmm? Why do you think you are even entitled to anything? Why are you involved in this conversation anyway?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-04-02, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-02, 23:19

2021-04-02, 23:16
Why are you involved in this conversation anyway?
Last time I checked this was still an open forum, so get out of that command chair and take it down a notch.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite