Where is Turbo Downloader?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Stargate38
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Where is Turbo Downloader?

Unread post by Stargate38 » 2021-04-21, 17:24

Could someone please give a download link for the last version? Just because it's not supported anymore doesn't mean that we have to stop using it. People have a right to continue using Turbo Downloader.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-21, 17:26

Stargate38 wrote:
2021-04-21, 17:24
People have a right to continue using Turbo Downloader.
Do they?

Stargate38
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Stargate38 » 2021-04-21, 17:38

Yes. I still have a Windows XP 32-bit VM for old games that don't work on my Windows 10 64-bit host. Nothing can make me stop using that, even though it's unsupported, as it still works very well (no BSODs in the past 3 years). Same goes with a lot of the games I still play (i.e. Midtown Madness 2), as well as the Microsoft Word '97 disc that I've had for over 20 years (it's legit and even comes with the Certificate of Authenticity to prove it). Everyone has their own opinion about this, but it still comes down to this: Just because a product isn't supported anymore doesn't mean that we have to stop using it. As long as there's still a way to get a piece of software to work without crashing/hanging, people are going to use it indefinitely. We're still going to use Flash, regardless of what measures we have to take to get it to keep working. Same goes with Turbo Downloader.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-04-21, 18:14

@stargate 38.
I hear ya.
i am of the same way of thinking.i use a 32bit puppy linux and i have done so for 2-3 years and it simply just works with no issues,Puppy is not updated so much and is pretty much a time capsuled system if you like and if apps need updates then i can do it manually.best os i have ever used and i will use it for eternity if it continues to serve my purpose.

I am no update junkie and often new code brought into a stable system will create bugs and issues so i steer clear of such periodic updating.
I would certainly give windows xp or seven a look if a windows os were to be chosen.palemoon is my main browser and has been for years on this puppy box and it runs great.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-21, 18:15

Stargate38 wrote:
2021-04-21, 17:38
We're still going to use Flash, regardless of what measures we have to take to get it to keep working. Same goes with Turbo Downloader.
Are we?
Moonraker wrote:
2021-04-21, 18:14
[Nothing of consequence]
Shut up, Moonraker.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-04-21, 18:21

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-21, 18:15
Stargate38 wrote:
2021-04-21, 17:38
We're still going to use Flash, regardless of what measures we have to take to get it to keep working. Same goes with Turbo Downloader.
Are we?
Moonraker wrote:
2021-04-21, 18:14
[Nothing of consequence]
Shut up, Moonraker.
it is very much of consequence,why upset the applecart.?
While most windows users are having a shit ton of issues us mere mortals with frozen systems just plod on with it..
if it ain't broke then don't bloody well try fixing it.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-21, 18:28

Moonraker wrote:
2021-04-21, 18:21
if it ain't broke then don't bloody well try fixing it.
But your system is always broke. Overdrawn at the memory bank to be specific.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2021-04-21, 18:40

Stargate38 wrote:
Could someone please give a download link for the last version? Just because it's not supported anymore doesn't mean that we have to stop using it. People have a right to continue using Turbo Downloader.
Unsupported doesn't mean we're saying you can't use it, like someone is going to come into your home and stop you from using it if you download an old version of a browser and try to use it or something. I'm pretty sure no one cares if you want to run your old 486 with a copy of Netscape Navigator and see what happens, nobody is denying you that.

It's just no one bothers supporting that anymore, and if you want access to what other people have built, you have to use what they do support. So you have a right to use whatever you want, web developers have a right to build their sites however they want, and browser developers have a right to support whatever extensions they want. The other two might make decisions you don't like, but that's not interfering with your rights. It just inconveniences you and makes it harder for you to do what you want, but that's because they're exercising their rights, not because they're preventing you from exercising yours.

What it means is that it's not recommended, and that people aren't necessarily going to support or endorse your efforts to find a copy. That's all.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2021-04-21, 19:33

@coffeebreak

This is the version riiis was reffering to when giving advises how to fork/hack. It was 2018-01-23. ;)
https://github.com/inbasic/turbo-downlo ... tag/v0.3.4

No idea if it is also the version which was removed.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-21, 20:04

gepus wrote:
2021-04-21, 19:33
@coffeebreak

This is the version...
You may have meant to direct your post to @Stargate38, who is currently the one trying to find the extension.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2021-04-21, 20:24

My bad. I mistakenly thought you were interested as well.
As for Stargate38 I might be wrong but I'm afraid the link won't be of much help.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-21, 20:30

Wonder why riiis won't fix the violation so you can have the extension back?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-22, 04:06

I mean, it's not as though I recently forked the most popular download manager for Firefox ever :roll:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-22, 08:44

Stargate38 wrote:
People have a right to continue using Turbo Downloader.
Sure they do.
But we don't have the right to continue distributing a version of the extension that violates the original author's license.
That's all there is to it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-22, 10:05

All riiis needs to do with this one specifically is change or remove the icon and any other imagery using the logo.

10 minute job at most. Guess it is clearly too much work to not resolve a case of stealing intellectual property.

Hell his other extensions just need the correct license selected in the Panel's Add-on Metadata license drop down. He won't even do that either. Literal 2 seconds per.

I could for those do that for him without breaking trust since it is just Site Metadata not the xpi its self. But I won't.