Web developer extension

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Web developer extension

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2021-02-23, 23:56

When I updated Pale Moon to 29.0.1 yesterday, the update notified me that the web developer extension was no longer compatible. I depend on it for everything from clearing browser cache to resizing the browser window to disabling image animations.

I did some concerted searching both yesterday and today, and I'm not finding anything that contains similar options. Is there something and I just missed it? Or is it possible to "fix" the original so it will still work with Pale Moon?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Web developer extension

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-24, 00:00

Contact the developer. As you SHOULD know it is the responsibility of Extensions to be compatible with the application and not vice versa though if it is the extension I think it is.. It isn't even a Pale Moon extension. Also issues with old and insecure Firefox Extensions has been telegraphed for months now specifically for being version 29 and for years in general. Why you opened this thread is beyond me.

Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2021-02-24, 00:13

It's Chris Pederick's FF extension which has always worked just fine. I did ask him back when I moved to Pale Moon (years back now), and he said since it was compatible he wouldn't be making a Pale Moon version.

I can ask him again of course; if he doesn't want to make versions for Pale Moon, that's certainly his right.

And excuse me for opening the thread. I don't keep up with this forum; I post only when I have a question. You are certainly at liberty to delete this so it's not cluttering the forum.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-24, 01:15

You should keep an eye on the forum and also search for things. It is important if there is something specific you are relying on. Obviously things have changed since several years ago. Seek him out, if he will not comply then I suppose license permitting.. fork it.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-02-25, 13:21

I've recently been in contact with Chris about another of his extensions. He confirmed that he doesn't have time to support Pale Moon, but is fine with forking - and Web Developer is GNU/GPL.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-25, 13:34

Welp best snap to it then.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-25, 15:03

Falna wrote:
2021-02-25, 13:21
I've recently been in contact with Chris about another of his extensions. He confirmed that he doesn't have time to support Pale Moon, but is fine with forking - and Web Developer is GNU/GPL.
What are you waiting for?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-26, 00:03

It will be awesome if this or Extension Developer are forked and fixed for PM.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-02-26, 01:33

Forked and submitted for approval as Web Developer's Toolbox :)

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Gumboots

Unread post by Gumboots » 2021-02-27, 07:58

Awesome. I'll keep an eye out for it, and test it mercilessly. I love the old Web Developer. Sometimes, for some things, there's just nothing better. :D

Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2021-02-28, 00:32

Falna wrote:
2021-02-26, 01:33
That's good to hear. I'm not at all capable with anything of that nature myself.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-03-11, 09:31

The extension is now available in the add-ons repo, just in case you don't know.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2021-04-27, 00:44

Falna wrote:
2021-02-26, 01:33
Falna - can you please take a look at my "Off-topic" comments HERE, thanks (I'd like to be able to "hide" the add-ons toolbar).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-04-27, 11:10

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2021-04-27, 00:44
I'd like to be able to "hide" the add-ons toolbar.
Good news - you can :)

Right-click between the icons on any toolbar and select which bars you want visible from this context menu:

toolbars.png
toolbars.png (9.88 KiB) Viewed 817 times

You can also select the 'customize' option in that menu to locate the toolbox icon - if you drag that to another toolbar it works as open/close button.

Forked extensions :

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-27, 11:19

If it's a standard added toolbar, then you should also be able to hide it from the application menu (either expanded from the preferences entry, or from the View menu).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-14, 14:50

@Falna - 'Web Developer's Toolbox Extension' is quite a mouthful in the Tools menu and ends up making it very wide, could you just drop the 'Extension' from the name? Since it's obviously an extension.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-05-14, 17:01

Obvious to us, but 'extension' was deliberately added to avoid confusion with the inbuilt 'Web Developer' non-extension:

menu.png
menu.png (8.44 KiB) Viewed 635 times

Forked extensions :

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-14, 17:23

Why not rename it to.. WebDev Toolbox and put it UNDER Web Developer. Personally though I think we should change the label to just be "Developer Tools". Still, WebDev Toolbox would be far more distinctive.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-14, 18:24

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-05-14, 17:23
Personally though I think we should change the label to just be "Developer Tools"
Good point. I'll do that for 29.3.0