Suspender

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Suspender

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-23, 19:15

This topic is to announce and support Suspender, a tab unloading/suspending extension for Pale Moon and Basilisk in the vein of Lull the Tabs and BarTab.
It was forked from JustOff's Lull the Tabs and will pick up that extensions' preferences on first load, if present.

v1.0.0:
  • Initial release
License: MPL 2.0, incompatible with secondary licenses.
I don't have a source repo set up for this, but if you need the source code, check the contents of the XPI.
Link: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/suspender/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tohuwabohuix

Re: Suspender

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2021-03-03, 23:59

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-23, 19:15
This topic is to announce and support Suspender, a tab unloading/suspending extension for Pale Moon and Basilisk in the vein of Lull the Tabs and BarTab...
Thank you for "Suspender"!
I welcome this great replacement for "Lull The Tabs" after I uninstalled almost all add-ons from external sources.
Off-topic:
I long for the day I will not work for 60 hours a week and will have time to make me familiar with XUL to fork/create add-ons myself.

curiosity
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by curiosity » 2021-03-25, 21:17

I come here to report a bug. The option "When closing a tab, select nearest loaded tab" doesn't work for me. I suspect that it may be related to me having Tree Style Tabs enabled as well (which I am reluctant to disable). I don't know who should be responsible for fixing this or if TST has anything to do with the bug in the first place, so I'm posting this here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-25, 23:07

I just don't think those options are compatible. The "nearest tab" will be looked at from a linear strip perspective, but TST obviously reorganizes that into a tree. What is nearest in a tree structure? :think:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

curiosity
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by curiosity » 2021-03-26, 00:08

To be honest, I will be content with just any loaded tab at this point.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-26, 08:31

There's very little I can do. TST completely changes the way tabs are organized.

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Suspender & TST: Parent/Child Tab Unloading

Unread post by BobbyP » 2021-03-27, 17:49

Thank you for, among many things, this extension. For some time now, clearing memory has been less than successful for this user, and so I have been happy to be experimenting with Suspender, 1st in one Profile, and now in a second. As a chronic TST addict, I was just about to post a finding similar to curiosity's above post, with the additional "New Feature" request, if possible of course, of the ability to select the Unloading of just the single focused Tab, or for Parent Tabs, just the Parent Tab, or just all of it's Child Tab(s), or the whole "Family".

From the very little I understand, it is clear that TST presents challenges (and/or out-right barriers), and so also fully understand if nothing more can be done, as you have indicated concerning selecting were Focus is to shift after Unloading. Thanks again for having the chance to try out Suspender in the first place!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-27, 18:47

I'm sorry but the tab strip which the extension's logic uses to select a different tab after unloading an active tab is linear.
There is no concept of "parent" or "child" tabs in the browser's normal UI. I'm also unlikely to make some complex logic part of suspender just so it will be able to handle something not native to the browser but only to one particular other extension. Suspender extends the browser, it does not extend another extension.

curiosity
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by curiosity » 2021-03-30, 13:39

Speaking of feasible feature requests, it would be nice if I could specify a list of sites to be unloaded automatically, as opposed to the present exception list. Then I would be able to automatically unload all those annoying sites that constantly run scripts in background for no good reason.

A finer customization of the tab context menu options would also be nice, but most people don't care to implement such detailed settings, so this is more of a "just in case" request.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-30, 13:57

curiosity wrote:
2021-03-30, 13:39
it would be nice if I could specify a list of sites to be unloaded automatically, as opposed to the present exception list. Then I would be able to automatically unload all those annoying sites that constantly run scripts in background for no good reason.
That's...what it already does. The exception list is for sites that you ḓo̭ṋ'̭ṱ want it to unload ever even if you're not using them. The purpose of the extension is to reduce browser memory usage by unloading all tabs other than the currently open one, it isn't about whether this or that site is 'annoying'. You should already be using a properly configured adblocker with filter subscriptions to get rid of advertising and analytics scripts that add to resource consumption overhead.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

curiosity
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by curiosity » 2021-03-30, 23:00

moonbat wrote:
2021-03-30, 13:57
That's...what it already does. The exception list is for sites that you ḓo̭ṋ'̭ṱ want it to unload ever even if you're not using them.
In case it wasn't clear, I'm asking for the exact opposite of the existing function.
moonbat wrote:
The purpose of the extension is to reduce browser memory usage by unloading all tabs other than the currently open one, it isn't about whether this or that site is 'annoying'.
As far as I can see, the purpose of this extension is to let you unload tabs. What tabs I use it on and based on what criteria is up to me.
moonbat wrote:
You should already be using a properly configured adblocker with filter subscriptions to get rid of advertising and analytics scripts that add to resource consumption overhead.
I do use an ad blocker and it works. But if you ever been to the internet, you may have noticed that some sites' implementations themselves are shitty. And, as it is the functionality of the site, you can't do much anything about it, at least not without significant effort (reimplementing it all). One such prominent example is Youtube.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-30, 23:36

curiosity wrote:
2021-03-30, 23:00
What tabs I use it on and based on what criteria is up to me.
No, it isn't.

The extension is designed to unload (= suspend) all tabs after a certain time of inactivity for each tab, and to make exceptions for those you absolutely want to keep loaded at all times (= not suspend) if open.
Asking for the opposite will require completely different logic. If you want that, then you'll likely have to write your own or fork-then-swap-logic.

curiosity
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by curiosity » 2021-03-31, 09:05

I can't imagine how the same checking against a list but inverted would require a completely different logic, but okay. Thanks for answering.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-31, 09:10

If an extension doesn't do what you want it to then it is up to you to either find an alternative or fork it and make a version that works for you. This extension itself is forked from JustOff's 'Lull the tabs' after his extensions were moved off the addons site to his Github page.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 09:19

curiosity wrote:
2021-03-31, 09:05
I can't imagine how the same checking against a list but inverted would require a completely different logic
It would. Because all this is based on timed events the core logic would have to be different.
Of course the code for actually suspending the tabs would be the same (but that's primarily a toolkit-supplied thing) and if you fork there's no reason to keep that, but it's really not going to be the same when comparing "suspend everything after x time of inactivity" with "keep a list of tabs to suspend".
While it would be possible to add the "other mode" to suspender given enough time and effort, I personally don't see a reason to. But you're free to go ahead and make your own based on it that does things differently.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-03-31, 11:09

Moonchild wrote:
2021-03-31, 09:19
Of course the code for actually suspending the tabs would be the same (but that's primarily a toolkit-supplied thing) and if you fork there's no reason to keep that
Don't you mean "there's no reason not to keep that" or "there's no reason to remove that"?

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 11:37

no reason to not keep that

adampale

Unread post by adampale » 2021-05-16, 03:21

Could an option be added to disable the darkening of unloaded tabs, or use an icon alternative? Would be nice for addons like TabMixPlus which has its own coloring for unloaded tabs or certain themes which make readability more difficult when combined with darkened unloaded tabs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-16, 19:23

It's not necessarily darkening. The only styling that is applied to unloaded tabs is that they are made semi-transparent.
If you find that 50% is too much and causes readability issues you can use a userChrome override to disable it:

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab[pending=true],
  menuitem.alltabs-item[pending=true] {
    opacity: 1 !important;
  }
instead of 1 you could also use a different larger value like .8

adampale

Unread post by adampale » 2021-05-17, 02:54

Thanks that works perfectly :thumbup: