Advanced URL Builder forked

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Advanced URL Builder forked

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-28, 09:43

Another XUL extension returns to the fold - I've obtained permission (for icons as well) from the original author of this extension (it has a nice homepage already with usage instructions) and submitted here as an addon - whenever it gets approved you can access it here.

Already thinking of extra features for it ;)
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Advanced URL Builder forked

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2020-07-28, 10:02

Reviewed and now live, no problems so far.

On a side note, consider removing contents.rdf (old-style manifest) from the extension's source since these are obsolete and are not needed/parsed anymore.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-28, 10:16

Thanks, will remove it in the next update :thumbup:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-28, 12:45

How is it a continiation with blessing of the dev if you changed the id? You don't need permission to fork if the license permits and if it is a continuation then it should use the original id so current users get updates after verification of orginal owner intent for you to continue it.

So what are you doing changing the id?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-28, 14:38

I mailed the developer and asked him, he's said to go ahead without expressing any interest to support it.
adv-perm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-07-28, 16:28

Thank you so much for going out of your way to contact all of these developers, moonbat. :)
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-07-28, 16:39

I would recommend not having his site as the homepage / support page if he's not interested in getting involved.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-28, 16:57

I'm going to mark this thread as the support page, just as I've done with my other extensions :)
It didn't exist then.
Thank you so much for going out of your way to contact all of these developers, moonbat. :)
Make PM great one extension at a time :)
I keep finding some really good ones on CAA, it's hit or miss whether they still work here, or whether the developers respond to queries. I've found one or two that lacked any sort of license, which is a shame because we can't legally fork/distribute it otherwise.
Found a full blown XMPP client for Firefox, but the component it depends on, xmpp4moz, uses some weird syntax of Javascript that I couldn't follow, and is a horrible mess of directly constructing XML using JS.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-07-28, 17:24

Off-topic:
xmpp4moz is outdated for current XMPP features.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-28, 17:28

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-07-28, 17:24
xmpp4moz is outdated for current XMPP features.
From what I've read, the standard's implementation itself is very haphazard, different servers implement different subsets. So one may allow you to send attachments to other users, another one may not, or some may/may not support encryption. But this module being the mess it was, fixing it will be monumental.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-10-06, 11:28

Incidentally, moonbat: would I still find this add-on useful if I already use SearchLoad Options Revived, or whatever the add-on that I have is (assuming that the functionality that I am talking about isn't a part of the core browser. It could be. I've had so many add-ons installed for so long, I wouldn't remember) that I have that allows me to right-click text and select 'Search for "[xyz]"' from the drop-down menu?

Because, right now, I can use that functionality (whether it be from SearchLOad Options Revived, or from the core browser) to search Lexico (some time ago, someone on the forums made something to allow adding Lexico to Pale Moon as a search plugin, but they haven't published it to the Pale Moon Add-Ons site for whatever reason) or Wiktionary for a word if I needed to. I can also use that functionality to search the Pale Moon Forums if I wanted to.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-07, 01:40

SearchLoad options enhances the search bar. This extension allows you to search any text that you select. So you can for example highlight an address and search for it in Google maps, or do a dictionary search for a word on a page. It would've been better if it tied into the existing set of search engines instead of maintaining a separate list but works great otherwise.

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2020-10-07, 09:32

If it tied into the existing set of search engines than there would be no reason to use it over Context Search X. I have bookmarked Advanced URL Builder because it uses its own list.

Btw, if you right click on a link and use AUB it will search using the url. Maybe it should use the url title instead?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-07, 10:59

The browser context menu for a link shows you actions that are relevant to the link itself, so AUB follows regular convention only. If you want to search the title, select it and search.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-10-08, 08:43

It's a helpful extension and thank you for forking it. I'd just also mention Selected Search 0.4.160328. It does the same thing (using pop-up, not context menu) with less clicks and includes a few more features/options. Also tied to installed search engines (but they can be disabled selectively).