Porting Linkificator to Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Andrew Herbert

Porting Linkificator to Pale Moon

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-02-18, 19:37

Linkificator works on Basilisk, but doesn't work on Pale Moon. Where to start porting it to the pre-Australis UI?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Porting Linkificator to Pale Moon

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-02-18, 21:02

Unzip the XPI, read the code until you understand how it works and how it plugs into the UI, then read the XUL documentation (what little there is) on MDN and start hacking away.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-02-18, 21:07

Which version are you referring to? 2.3.2 appears to be the last version that worked pre-Australis, and appears to be available from Classic Add-ons Archive, though I haven't verified to see if it's working. (The source code is also up on GitHub.) I would probably do the following:

1) Try version 2.3.2 on a clean profile.
2) Identify any bugs or issues, if any.
3) Identify any features, if any, you wish to backport from the later WebExtension-based versions.

After that you can start exploring specific details. :)

If 2.3.2 works as-is without any issues on Pale Moon, then forking the extension and specifically targeting are relatively simple affairs.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-02-18, 21:10

The problem with this add-on is that its older versions are based on an unsupported version of Add-ons SDK, while the new ones are deeply integrated with Australis. I'm afraid it will be easier to rewrite it from scratch.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-02-19, 01:04

Off-topic:
Not to dissuade you from getting Linificator to work, but if you don't necessarily need something that makes "hot links", but can deal with selecting a textual link & being able to open it, Fetch Text URL should work, caa:addon/fetch-text-url-fix-version.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-02-25, 19:18

What is ShortcutUtils.jsm? Is it related to Australis? I didn't find anything about it on MDN.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-25, 19:33

Looks like something to abstract away shortcut keys so it easier to type/remember instead of the full l10n string. Looks like it was created specifically as a reusable Mozilla Javascript Module split out from DevTools for use elsewhere.

Doesn't seem expressly related to Australis technology but of course once they created the jsm it was used in Australis.

See:
bug #927605
http://xref.palemoon.org/moonchild-central/source/platform/toolkit/modules/ShortcutUtils.jsm
http://xref.palemoon.org/moonchild-central/search?string=ShortcutUtils

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-03-05, 16:13

I find it weird that the extension doesn't even modify webpages on Pale Moon. Is this "normal" for extensions that only target the Australis UI?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-03-05, 16:27

It is expected that extensions that fail to init do not work at all :coffee:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-03-31, 11:56

You could try Linkification from CAA instead. It's a regular overlay extension, not Jetpack.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX