How to add blocking rules to Adblock Latitude?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

How to add blocking rules to Adblock Latitude?

Unread post by context » 2020-01-16, 21:43

How am I supposed to add blocking rules to Adblock Latitude?

I can click on Filter Preferences >> Custom Filters and see the list of Filter Rules on the right side. And there's a button for Add Filter. But there are no "how to" examples ... and the syntax of existing rules is not clear. Googling "blocking rules" produces hundreds of equally-unclear references. I just need some specific-to-latitude instructions in order to get in the game.

At this point, I only want to know how to add two filters:
How to block THIS image? ... a particular JPG or PNG image that has a specific name.
How to block THESE images? ... like avatars on a forum ... or a column of images on the Latest Headlines on a news site ... any group of images that share a common structure (<div>?) on a page.

As an aside, until a few months ago, I was able to use Element Hiding Helper 1.4. It was adept at building very good rules. Everything worked like I would expect it to. But that add-on is no longer available for Pale Moon ... and maybe even no longer supported. (Too bad. It was a good one.)

(And, yes, I'm aware that people recommend uBlock Origin for this kind of thing. But why go to that level of complexity, when Adblock Latitude is so close?)

Any ideas on this? (Thanks in advance.)

For reference: https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: How to add blocking rules to Adblock Latitude?

Unread post by Frasier » 2020-01-17, 07:19

Don't know if you still want to use 'Element Hiding Helper 1.4' or not but it still functions. It can still be downloaded after installing:
Classic Add-ons Archive.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-01-17, 07:49

Thanks for your response.

Yes, that would take care of things for the time being ... although I'd still like to learn about adding rules to Latitude.

Regarding your suggestion: would you mind outlining the steps to get Element Hiding Helper from that archive? I'm not familiar with xpi files ... and the file size shows to be 42.7Mb. Or is there some other source for v1.4?

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2020-01-17, 10:01

Don't know of another source.

The 'Classic Add-ons Archive' extension needs to be installed first. Just click on the
'ca-archive-2.0.1.xpi' link and the 'Classic Add-ons Archive' library will be installed. At that point you will have access to the 'library/list' of 'legacy' extensions that are available. Hence the 42.7MB file size.

Look in your 'Tools' menu or a tool bar for the 'Classic Add-ons Archive' icon. Click it, a tab will open that looks similar to the old AMO site. Just type 'Element Hiding Helper' in the search box.

Once you've done that you'll be shown an 'Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus' link. Follow the link. Now you'll see a [Download] button which will download the 'Element Hiding Helper 1.4 xpi' file. Just make sure and download to a location you can easily find.

To install the extension, in Pale Moon pull up the 'Add-ons Manager' Click the gear and
select 'Install Add-on From File...'
The current system file manager will pop-up. Locate the 'xpi' file you just downloaded, select it and 'Open'. You should now have 'Element Hiding Helper 1.4' installed. There is probably a restart Pale Moon in there at least once.

Another method to install once you've downloaded the 'Element Hiding Helper xpi' file is to just drag it on to a Pale Moon open tab. That's instead of opening up and using the 'Add-ons Manager'.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-01-17, 13:27

Thanks! Those are clear instructions (... with good use of color, too!)

It will be a day or two before I can give them a try, but it's encouraging to hear that Element Hiding Helper can still operate. As I said, it's a good one.

BTW, I did make a little progress on adding rules to Latitude. If you left click on its icon and select Open Blockable Items, you get an inventory of page elements. You can right click on an entry and select Hide This Item. That brings up a panel that lets you fine tune a blocking rule. I had success with some elements ... but failed with others. On the site I was testing with, I was undoing more rules than I was keeping. When I have Element Hiding Helper running, I'll pay close attention to what it does.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2020-01-18, 08:29

I'm happy to report that your instructions worked to a "T".

Element Hiding Helper is back in operation on my Win10 PC running PM 28.8.1, 64-bit.

Compared to trying to hammer rules out of copper with a mallet, it's a joy to use. I'm using it on some graphics sites that insist on defacing their content with all kinds of overlays and popups that Element Hiding Helper lets me tag and disable. Since it works this well at this point, I'd encourage the developer to make an effort to bring it into the fold of current ad-ons. Users need exactly this kind of tool to have half a chance at enduring the onslaught of methods that web developers keep coming up with. The problem is no longer with just ads. Plus, there are now just too many sites and too many variations for the supported blocking lists to ever keep up with. That's my view of the situation, anyway.

Thanks for helping me with this.