ScriptBlock Extension Idea?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

ScriptBlock Extension Idea?

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-11-23, 08:36

Good Day,

I have a feature request for ScriptBlock.

Currently, Script Block allows all sites to run Javascript etc, then a blacklist is created?
My proposal: Disable Javascript by default and create a whitelist?

What do you think?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: ScriptBlock Extension Idea?

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-23, 09:44

eMatrix works similarly - blocks everything - media,scripts,cookies, frames, XHR - by default so you have to whitelist for every frequently used site. Arguably far better than just focusing on script blocking.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-24, 15:32

fatboy wrote:
2019-11-23, 08:36
My proposal: Disable Javascript by default and create a whitelist?

What do you think?
I think you'd be spending a shit ton of time creating a huge exception list for all the sites you are visiting, to fix breakage. Spending more time to create such a long list and then spending more time dealing with the maintenance of it, and even more time due to the inherent performance loss you'll have to deal with having a huge list to parse for each request.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2019-11-24, 18:33

fatboy wrote:
Disable Javascript by default and create a whitelist?
Try "Whitelist Javascript Websites", version 0.0.5. Obtain the "Whitelist Javascript Websites" add-on by installing and using the add-on "Classic Add-ons Archive" from PMAO (caa:addon/whitelist-javascript-websites). Or download directly from ca-archive.biz.tm using this download link.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-25, 01:54

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-24, 15:32
I think you'd be spending a shit ton of time creating a huge exception list for all the sites you are visiting, to fix breakage. Spending more time to create such a long list and then spending more time dealing with the maintenance of it, and even more time due to the inherent performance loss you'll have to deal with having a huge list to parse for each request.
This is why I just use Sandboxie for my browser. I used to swear by NoScript and used it for many years, but it became very cumbersome to whitelist domain after domain. So now with Sandboxie I have even greater protection since nothing should stick on my computer unless I give it permission to. Of course there are certain files in my PM profile that are allowed to be edited without my permission otherwise there would be some browser breakage.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-25, 01:59

I think the best approach to scrip blocking would be like how uBlock or another Adblocker blocks Ads where a list/s would be used of known malicious scripts. Don't know if that's possible, but that's what I think makes more sense.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-25, 02:30

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-11-25, 01:59
I think the best approach to scrip blocking would be like how uBlock or another Adblocker blocks Ads where a list/s would be used of known malicious scripts. Don't know if that's possible, but that's what I think makes more sense.
You'd still have to keep the list constantly updated. u/e Matrix is best. Everything blocked by default, just enable the barest minimum you need to get the site working. And this is in addition to a hosts style blocklist, similar to what other adblockers already support. And it works against everything, not just scripts - media, frames, background requests, CSS, cookies (stops them being sent, not set).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-25, 06:38

fatboy wrote:
Disable Javascript by default and create a whitelist?
riiis wrote:
2019-11-24, 18:33
Try "Whitelist Javascript Websites", version 0.0.5. Obtain ... by installing and using the add-on "Classic Add-ons Archive"
From its descriptions in CAA and its source repositories, the extension riiis suggested appears to do precisely what you're asking for. But to determine how well this approach works for you, you'll need to install and try it.

As a secondary matter, I would suggest installing CAA first (if you haven't already) not just for access to installation files, but for the sake of the information it provides about extensions that you are considering installing.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-26, 08:49

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-25, 02:30
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-11-25, 01:59
You'd still have to keep the list constantly updated. u/e Matrix is best. Everything blocked by default, just enable the barest minimum you need to get the site working. And this is in addition to a hosts style blocklist, similar to what other adblockers already support. And it works against everything, not just scripts - media, frames, background requests, CSS, cookies (stops them being sent, not set).
That idea is just breaking everything on a website and it's very cumbersome. That's why I mentioned a bad scrip list to just block those scripts and nothing else.