Quality of legacy extensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JustOff

Re: Quality of legacy extensions

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-10-14, 13:26

Moonchild wrote: As for the quotes by JustOff, why don't we ask him? So, @JustOff, should we call anyone a liar?
Although I'm not very happy that my private message quoted above was disclosed without my prior permission, it is certainly authentic and accordingly correctly reflects my opinion on the subject.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-14, 14:15

Hey guys, nevermind. k?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-19, 20:36

Right.. So, it has been brought to my attention that Legacy Collector's website will be shutting down at the end of they year.. He cites several threats he has received.

First off, it is no secret that I was not personally impressed with his site and that he could and should have done better or pissed off back into the ether where he came from BASED on that. But this is no victory for me or anyone. To shut down in the midst of threats which I can only assume were more serious than the normal bullshit ones I get a lot of the time, I cannot condone that even if I personally hate your guts... Just like you have every right to do a thing like LC's site, I have every right not to approve of it for any reason. ONE DOES NOT, however, have the right to issue repeated threats to person or property to end a project or silence someone.

IF I find out someone agreed with my personal dislike of LC's offering and then acted out in a threatening way to him.. Then here is a threat you can count on.. You will have to deal with me in the fullness of time. You not only robbed LC of his project and any, although increasingly unlikely, potential improvement but also robbed ME of seeing the natural final fate of it. If it would get better, if it would stay the same, or if it would just fade away one day.

Resistance is one thing, interference is another, interference with serious threats.. Well that pisses me off more than just doing a half-assed job on some site.

I do not want to see this repeated for anyone else and I deff don't want to be the twisted justification for it, if that is what happened. So whoever you are who has done this, stop it at once.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-10-19, 20:47

That's sad to hear and I would also like to know the person or persons responsible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-20, 00:44

A threat, as opposed to some legal takedown notice?
Wow, people are so upset by the existence of an archive of old browser extensions as to behave like this? :o
Off-topic:
*puts tinfoil hat on and hits the blunt*
I wonder if Mozilla is trying to do this, being pissed off that there's an alternative to the dog's breakfast they've made of Firefox in its current role.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-10-20, 01:05

It is more likely that this is just another attempt of the rabid "legacy technology" hating Mozilla fan-crowd to destroy what is no longer allowed to exist.

Because this is exactly the toxic surrounding Mozilla-new values and encourages so much. A browser developer, who's management/developer base is filled with hate-filled so-called "social justice warriors" or "other pseudo progressive leftists" also draws towards users with similar opinion.

And what is discarded by Mozilla is no longer allowed to exist at all. Something like that would have been in way earlier times NEVER been possible, but with Mozilla-new and it's remaining die-hard fellowship... what else to expect.

Very sad only!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-20, 01:29

I hope the site author doesn't fall for this bullshit.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-20, 02:06

I really dunno what to think about it.. There are several possibilities. Some over zealous person might have been inspired by me, some mozi freak could have done it for their own twisted reasons, some anti-Tobinist here could have done it with the hope it would cause a backlash on me because I have been vocally against it.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, we also have to consider that he isn't being truthful. I'd hate that the most. However, one of the others is far more likely.

I suppose we will never know what went down and can't infer anything cause what was written on the site is non-specific. That is unless he chooses to elaborate further.

And yes, I am upset I won't ever be able to win the argument thanks to this or these dirtbags but that isn't the totality of it, I assure you. No one should be threatened in this manor.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-10-20, 02:44

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-10-20, 02:06
I am upset I won't ever be able to win the argument
There was never an argument to win or lose.
LC launched a valuable resource and, for whatever reason, is walking away.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-20, 02:52

Do you not read? Someone or someones were threatening his person. But sure, focus on only part of what I said.

Maybe it was you. I wouldn't put it past you. Sure do fit the profile.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-10-20, 02:58

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-10-20, 02:52
Maybe it was you. I wouldn't put it past you. Sure do fit the profile.
Not sure I can get my head around why I should try to undermine a resource that I value(d).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-20, 03:03

You're probably right. That would require strategic planning and intelligence beyond your current capabilities. Not likely from someone who can't read.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-10-20, 10:40

some new lines at http://legacycollector.org/
For those wanting to mirror this site, please use the following torrent magnet link in favor of scraping the website. For similar reasons as the shutdown, I won't be able to seed this torrent past the first copy, so please seed for others if you grab this.
Get the full website copy. (.tar.xz)
(torrent file if magnet doesn't work for you)
Mirroring by downloading from this web server is allowed as well if the torrent can't be used, and standard rate limiting restrictions have been lifted accordingly for this. Be aware that this is over 15GB of files!
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2332zbsojxkxt36szehrjnck5nn4pxf4&dn=legacycollector.org.tar.xz