Destroy the Web and Basilisk

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Destroy the Web and Basilisk

Unread post by UCyborg » 2019-09-23, 21:49

There's this old Firefox extension that lets you shoot-up the currently opened web page. It works in Pale Moon, but not in Basilisk. You can add the button that starts the game with the help of Customize option after installing the extension, but it's always greyed out.

I found the extension hosted at the following places:
LegacyCollector
https://ca-archive.biz.tm/storage/14/14572/destroy_the_web-1.2.2-fx.xpi - link from Classic Add-ons Archive addon - Download page

Any wizard out there that might be able to shed some light regarding incompatibility and suggest a fix?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Destroy the Web and Basilisk

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-24, 01:06

If it's about modifying a webpage on the fly, there was one far more powerful called Platypus, which lets you make changes and save them as a Greasemonkey script. I've been trying to get it to work on PM and it mostly does except for automatically launching Greasemonkey at the end to install the generated user script - you have to manually copy it and add it to Greasemonkey.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2019-09-24, 08:11

It's basically a game with sounds and a score counter with the goal to tear the web page apart, so it does temporarily modify the webpage appearance. I'm not sure if the thing about Platypus and Greasemonkey would apply here. I don't know when in Firefox release history it actually broke as I haven't touched it in a long time. The last update to it was sometime in 2013. It doesn't work with Firefox versions 52.9 and 51.0.1 neither, though the archive page says it's compatible with versions from 3.5 - 56.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2019-09-24, 21:42

The last compatible version of Firefox is 46.0.1. The only thing that sounds relevant in Firefox 47 changelog is removal of FUEL (Firefox User Extension Library).

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-09-25, 17:13

Yes, indeed it is using FUEL. That should be the issue.

Code: Select all

resources/wdCommon.js:87:        Cc["@mozilla.org/fuel/application;1"].getService(Ci.fuelIApplication);
Due to it being removed from Firefox, Basilisk doesn't have it. You may have more luck with Pale Moon though. See: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1083

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2019-09-26, 08:17

I did note in original post that it works in Pale Moon. I just think the utility of Basilisk would be improved if it also supported such extensions. I get FUEL is not recommended for new development, but it'd come in handy for old ones. I didn't know about compatibility issues due to FUEL until recently, I was aware of incompatibilities due to two different UIs - Australis and pre-Australis and extensions being developed to tackle either one.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-09-26, 09:07

UCyborg wrote:
2019-09-26, 08:17
I did note in original post that it works in Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
Sorry for missing that out.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-26, 22:32

Unfortunately, FUEL is antithetical to the progression (or is that regression) of the underlying Australis Technology that lives in the non-standard browser.xul main window construction in Basilisk. FUEL is also an ancient failed library that was, like jetpack later on, supposed to help make development of extensions "easier". While there are no current plans to remove it from Pale Moon it has been marked as deprecated because.. it is. No one should be using it at this point and forks and from scratch new extensions should not be using it. It is only survived in Pale Moon because I did not want to break Firefox-targeted extension compatibility unnecessarily.

There is a deprecation warning spawned for every extension that calls FUEL in Pale Moon and there would be an error message spawned if loaded in Basilisk that you could easily see and work out if you actually checked the Toolkit Error Console. If this extension is important for you and you want to run it in Basilisk. I suggest you properly fork it and modify it to use standard toolkit calls and target it to both Pale Moon and Basilisk and submit it to the Add-ons Site so everyone can benefit.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2019-10-03, 17:24

I figured all FUEL calls in this extension can be easily replaced with calls to functions in nsIPrefService. Though there are are still issues not related to FUEL. You can't get rid of majority elements on the web page. Animation plays, score increases, but the element is not removed. I said it works in Pale Moon too quickly as the same issue exists when ran in PM too.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-03, 17:37

Extensions targeting FUEL are old and old. They need to be rewritten if they don't work. We are talking about a Firefox 3 era extension that used a long dead shim layer.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2019-10-04, 09:44

It's not that bad. Turning off animations helps.

There is some NS_ERROR_FAILURE coming from somewhere in the animation code. I'll try to figure it out by myself first and post a more specific question at a later point if needed.