Pure URL for Palemoon

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pure URL for Palemoon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-24, 11:16

For the record, if you'd paste the URL in Pale Moon's address bar, it does, in fact, percent-encode it as it should:

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/groups/235648462818/posts/10160687820852819/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWLxjjS7s1y-g_yeslt59x3w
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Artisticum_235

Unread post by Artisticum_235 » 2023-10-07, 11:26

Thanks a LOT Moonbat for working on and maintaining this great privacy-helping extension, I simply cannot live without! Should be a standard addition for all the blob-friendly browsers out there! (but of course I doubt their real interests goes in that direction...)
My conf: mac mini 8.1, core i7 8700b (6 cores + HT) 16 go RAM, OSes: Windows 10 22h2, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Fedora 38 KDE edition.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-10-08, 00:16

Extensions are best kept as extensions, that's the point of having a powerful extension system as Pale Moon does because if you ask fifty different people what features they absolutely must have, you will get 50 different answers. Having extensions keeps the browser free from bloat and people only use what extensions they fancy.
The larger and more complicated the already large browser codebase, the bigger the attack surface for security exploits. You can see this with FIrefox having integrated a PDF viewer, Pocket and what not, several of the security bugs discovered are just not applicable to Pale Moon because of simply not having added those features to the browser core. All these were better served as extensions so that only those who want them would install them. Let's say for example you are using Pale Moon portable at work, and your office firewall/gateway already blocks all ads; in that case you wouldn't need an adblocker and any built in one would be unnecessary bloat for you.
Pale Moon is excellent as what Firefox used to be before version 4 - a lean and efficient browser that can be customized as much or as little as one wants. I have 110 extensions in all, someone else may be content with just uBlock Origin and maybe Pure URL - this is what it means to have a fully customizable 'your browser your way' experience.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-10-08, 00:20

moonbat wrote:
2023-10-08, 00:16
Extensions are best kept as extensions, that's the point of having a powerful extension system as Pale Moon does because if you ask fifty different people what features they absolutely must have, you will get 50 different answers. Having extensions keeps the browser free from bloat and people only use what extensions they fancy.
The larger and more complicated the already large browser codebase, the bigger the attack surface for security exploits.
This is 100% why I wish that developers for major operating systems would have embraced keep it simple stupid forever and ever for the core of the system including libraries, programming languages, non-applications, etc.

But that being said, I agree with what you say here as well.

Its a simple concept that took me a while to grasp I will admit.

The more the code size increases, the more eyes that are needed and at some point no amount of eyes will be enough.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-10-08, 00:23

moonbat wrote:
2023-09-24, 01:03
Trust Facebook and other big tech to do something non standard. Or revise the standard every few days making it meaningless in Google's case :roll:
That is google though in a nutshell.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-10-08, 00:29

Off-topic:
Off-topic:
frostknight wrote:
2023-10-08, 00:23
That is google though in a nutshell.
Remember 'Embrace, Extend, Extinguish'? That was Microsoft's strategy, Google is doing it on steroids but nobody has noticed. All the anti trust folks are obsessed with is the search engine business.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-10-08, 00:38

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2023-10-08, 00:29
Remember 'Embrace, Extend, Extinguish'? That was Microsoft's strategy, Google is doing it on steroids but nobody has noticed. All the anti trust folks are obsessed with is the search engine business.
I don't know, I think that its become dramatically more nuts::

Embrace Extend Gain Full Control

I think microsoft, redhat and others are trying to devour all the projects so that they have to depend on them and so they will effectively have full control over the situation. Which while it seems like extinguishing, its much more nefarious and also somewhat slower as well

redhat is the poster child for this strategy though. All you have to do is look at all the crap redhat has forcefed into the linux sphere. dbus, pulseaudio, systemd, pipewire, avahi + others. Funny thing too, you cannot remove their libraries in a lot of systems that are linux based, without a huge ordeal. Hyperbola found this out the hard way although they still did it. Redhat did this to make money getting people to depend on them for enterprise support and other such things.

I would be stunned if microsoft isn't starting to adapt and take the same position with their whole "microsoft loves linux" campaign.

It would be the sneakier option for sure.

This is my opinion on the matter though, aka Embrace Extend Take Full Control being the new Extend Embrace Extinguish.

SMH...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-08, 08:51

Off-topic:
frostknight wrote:
2023-10-08, 00:38
I would be stunned if microsoft isn't starting to adapt and take the same position with their whole "microsoft loves linux" campaign.
I think that is much simpler: they are buying influence so their wishes for adaptation/catering to a certain Microsoft service/integration in Windows will get prioritized because they are "footing the bill" through their donations.
Anyway just my 2¢ on the matter.
Also, if you want to discuss this in more detail, may want to spin it off into its own thread in a different board ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-10-08, 22:47

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2023-10-08, 08:51
I think that is much simpler: they are buying influence so their wishes for adaptation/catering to a certain Microsoft service/integration in Windows will get prioritized because they are "footing the bill" through their donations.
Anyway just my 2¢ on the matter.
So.,.. its more like Embrace Extend Merge?

Or, Embrace Extend Manipulate

I think that one makes more sense

SMH...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-11-27, 23:22

Changelog for 3.4
  • Fixed the toolbar button tooltip to show statistics for the currently selected tab. (Earlier it only showed what was changed on the last tab that was loaded).