Will traditional Firefox extensions remain useable after dual ID are removed?

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

TheRealMaestro
Moongazer
Moongazer

Will traditional Firefox extensions remain useable after dual ID are removed?

Unread post by TheRealMaestro » 2019-08-19, 22:22

Reading Pale Moon's roadmap, I noticed that Pale Moon wishes in future versions to keep general compatibility with the traditional XUL platform, yet:
Pale Moon Roadmap wrote:[Pale Moon will] maintain this general level of compatibility[, yet] the (transitional) dual-ID setup will eventually be removed, at which point only Pale Moon targeted extensions will be accepted[;] Firefox-only extensions will no longer be accepted by the browser[.]
Being unaware of what is happening behind the scenes, I ask: to what extent will unmodified extensions for early Firefox be restricted? Would this be some kind of 'ID checking' that could be disabled or adjusted (as under Tools > Preferences > Security > Add-ons > Add-on security level now)? Naturally, as Pale Moon continues to develop in its own direction, backward compatibility cannot be ensured indefinitely, and foreign extensions could only possibly be used 'as is' without official support, but would the option to try to install and use them remain, even if only in about:config? The word 'accept' here seems to imply that we should still keep the option to try, yet I find it best to confirm definitively that my interpretation is correct.

vannilla
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Will traditional Firefox extensions remain useable after dual ID are removed?

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-08-19, 23:09

As an extension developer who forked a couple of Firefox extensions, I can tell you that most Firefox extensions just need an entry in the install.rdf file with the Pale Moon (and/or Basilisk) ID and nothing would change.
The problem this approach has is that not every extension can be forked because of the license. Most of them are under a license like Apache, BSD or even something from the GNU project, meaning they can be forked with relatively few problems, but there are also those under a non-free license or under a license which requires to be more careful to avoid breaching it.
In short, to get most Firefox extensions without the dual GUID mechanism all it takes is a simple fork targeting Pale Moon/Basilisk and a submission to the add-on site.
And before someone says it: no, you don't need to know how to code to make this fork. This is especially true for old Firefox extensions: after all, they work as intended now, so you don't need to fix bugs or add new features. At worst, incompatibilities when a major version is released (e.g. Pale Moon 29) can arise, but this forum will likely offer some sort of help if requested.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Will traditional Firefox extensions remain useable after dual ID are removed?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-20, 00:37

The answer is simple: unmodified Firefox extensions (i.e. that only target Firefox in their install.rdf) will no longer work because they are no longer compatible and must target Pale Moon specifically from that point forward.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-20, 07:07

Now don't freak out guys. This is a long term goal we would like to do because it does nothing to improve actual conpatibility. It is and always has been a basic hack on the install check to allow a Firefox targetApplication to be accepted when the real application's targetApplication does not exist.

One day we hope we will have enough Pale Moon targeted extensions that the hack simply won't be required anymore. It is totally not something that is gonna happen tomorrow or for a good long time. It also shall not happen arbitrarily or without warning and a long leadtime.

There may be other possibilities that can be researched and explored for how such a thing could take shape which could help users when that time comes.

I would suggest you all continue your own research and continue to create and fork extensions in any case.

gepus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by gepus » 2019-08-20, 15:58

@New Tobin Paradigm

Thanks for clarifying!
Probably it wouldn't affect me personally (irrespective of licences) but a lot of people using Pale Moon...

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-20, 17:16

Exactly and you are welcome.

F22 Simpilot
Lunatic
Lunatic
Location: From RLG fly heading 053 intercept 315 DVV look for the SAM

Unread post by F22 Simpilot » 2019-08-20, 17:42

Anyone be so kind as to post what that hack is to add to the install.rdf?
If you're that smart and act like a dork, then you're not that smart after all. :geek:

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-20, 17:57

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-20, 17:42
Don't be a moron.

Goodydino
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-08-20, 18:02

F22 Simpilot wrote:
Look at the information for target application in install.rdf in one of the themes for Pale Moon. Just use that information.

F22 Simpilot
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by F22 Simpilot » 2019-08-20, 18:04

Goodydino wrote:
2019-08-20, 18:02
F22 Simpilot wrote:
Look at the information for target application in install.rdf in one of the themes for Pale Moon. Just use that information.
Thanks for two reasons: Not calling me a "moron" and answering my question.
If you're that smart and act like a dork, then you're not that smart after all. :geek:

New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-20, 18:25

Well, now that I know you are modifying Firefox extensions any support requests from you are therefor null and void. Good job, moron.

vannilla
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-08-20, 18:59

F22 Simpilot wrote:
You can't do that unless the license says so, regardless of one's intelligence.
If the license says you can modify it, also check if modified copies can be redistributed. If so, change the extension branding (name and icons, just to avoid licensing issues) and submit it to the add-on site.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-20, 19:17

vannilla wrote:
2019-08-20, 18:59
F22 Simpilot wrote:
You can't do that unless the license says so, regardless of one's intelligence.
If the license says you can modify it, also check if modified copies can be redistributed. If so, change the extension branding (name and icons, just to avoid licensing issues) and submit it to the add-on site.
and one important additional step: if you fork it like that, commit yourself to actually maintaining it too -- it's not a fire and forget thing.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

CharmCityCrab
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-08-20, 19:50

In the long run, using unmaintained Firefox add-ons from years ago is probably not a great thing from a security or a compatibility perspective. It makes sense for Pale Moon to at some point stop allowing add-ons that specify that they are Firefox add-ons just from those perspectives alone. Any Firefox add-on that has been maintained specifically for Firefox past Firefox 57 two years ago would be a webextension (I guess some extensions targeting Firefox ESR would have been maintained longer, but Firefox ESR has switched to webextensions as well now), which is a format Pale Moon has never and has no plans to ever support.

So, it does seem logical to by default have XUL add-ons have to specify Pale Moon in their instructions at some point. It's sort of a bare minimum indicator that someone at least might have been maintaining it or have done some updates since Firefox switched add-on formats.

Of course, this would as a practical matter require Pale Moon and the Unified XUL Platform to have continued to build up a large number of it's own add-ons (Some of which could be forks from old Firefox add-ons) and to keep building on it, to the point where not too many people feel like the rug has been yanked out under them when the Firefox ID support for extensions is pulled. But it sounds like that's the plan- keep building up the Pale Moon AMO.

F22 Simpilot
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by F22 Simpilot » 2019-08-20, 20:46

I don't plan on forking, modifying or any of that crap. This is for my use only. I don't even know code, let along JS, CSS, HTML or even PHP.

Isengrim
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-20, 21:12

I didn't know much about JS or CSS or XUL either until I made ReaderView for Pale Moon (which is mostly borrowed from Firefox anyway), because it's something I wanted to use, and it was apparently useful for others as well.

Don't forget that Pale Moon, UXP, and everything else around them is a community project, and as such we should all be contributing towards making our forked add-ons available for others. Even if it's just a rebrand and minor compat update, it's better than nothing.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

back2themoon
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-08-20, 21:23

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-20, 20:46
I don't plan on forking, modifying or any of that crap.
Without forking, there would be neither Pale Moon nor lots of other nice things. I know what you meant, but clearly an unfortunate choice of words.
Safe Mode / clean profile info: Help/Restart in Safe Mode
Information to include when asking for support - How to apply user agent overrides
How to download videos

Windows 10 Pro • Pale Moon x64 • Interlink x86 • Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-20, 21:29

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-20, 20:46
This is for my use only.
And everyone who wants to do this for their use only is being selfish and ultimately reinventing the wheel.
I could have made Pale Moon "for my use only" as well, but no, I decided to publish it. Why? because others might find it useful too. In 2009 I didn't know jack shit about the Mozilla code base or any of the advanced programming techniques I know about now. I barely knew C++ when I first started, as well. But guess what? Publishing Pale Moon made me learn all those things.
Extensions are a lot simpler, and can easily be created and maintained by a single person in a few odd hours of spare time -- why? Because most of them were initially created by people who were doing this in their free time, as a hobby, and learning along the way.
Think Ratatouille: "Anyone can cook".

Isengrim
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-20, 22:23

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-20, 21:29
Think Ratatouille: "Anyone can cook".
Off-topic:
You sir made my day. I love that movie.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-08-20, 22:28

While the bandwagon's still there, let's have a history lesson of my own, shall we? ;)

Back in 2011, I still used Firefox. Firefox 4 had just come out, but my favourite theme in the 3.x era, Kempelton, wasn't updated. I waited for a short while, then eventually the author announced they'd discontinued the theme. I didn't know CSS. I didn't know how Firefox themes worked (or add-ons in general, for that matter). But I did have one thought in my mind: what exactly is so different that this theme can't work? So, I looked at other themes. I wanted to see what they did that this one didn't. I plugged away at it for a while and eventually produced a working theme. It wasn't pretty by any means, but it did the job I wanted of it, and I was happy for that fact. Since I knew several other people also wanted that theme on Firefox 4+, I knew it would be a shame to leave that to myself, so I published it. Given that one went so well, I decided to work on some more themes too. Of course, given Firefox's rabid release cycle and my inexperience at the time, I wasn't really able to keep up with it and it fell to the wayside.

Fast-forward a couple more years and I'm on Pale Moon, I get contacted by a forum member at the time asking for Kempelton Reloaded to come back. As Pale Moon was much easier to handle in terms of versions and theme changes (and still is!), I decided to have a look into it, and got something working. I still wasn't great at CSS at the time (comparatively speaking), but I put it together and was happy with the result. I kept improving on it, then decided to port other themes and, well, the rest is history. ;)

The moral of the story? Just because you don't know how to do x thing doesn't mean you can't - you just need to put your mind to it.