Toolbar Button Chaos

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mekineer

Toolbar Button Chaos

Unread post by mekineer » 2019-07-29, 00:43

I've had trouble with customizing the toolbar button order. Also have had some buttons refuse to disappear, and some buttons refuse to stay. At the moment, I can't make a couple of buttons disappear.

Is there a file that I could edit manually, as maybe that would help?
Are there extensions that interfere with toolbar customization dialog?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Toolbar Button Chaos

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-07-29, 00:52

Letting the forum know what buttons you're trying to get rid of might possibly help.

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2019-07-29, 01:32

I have two instances of Pale Moon, each with their own executables and profile folders. Both are the same version of Pale Moon 28.7.0a1
drive:\path1\palemoon.exe -profile "drive:\pathtoprofile1" --no-remote
drive:\path2\palemoon.exe -profile "drive:\pathtoprofile2" --no-remote

Instance 2 of pale moon. Fresh install, fewer extensions. Meant to eventually replace instance 1:
Back to Close button keeps coming back when I close and start the browser again
AutoFill Forms button keeps coming back when I close and start the browser again

Instance 1 of pale moon. Old install, upgraded many many times over years:
The order of Cookie Autodelete, Greedy Cache, One Click Proxy, and Advanced Night Mode seem to dance around at random.

In instance 1 I'm using Back is Close instead of Back to Close. In instance 2 of pale moon, Back to Close works with the keyboard, and in instance 1 it doesn't. At least Back is Close button can be hidden in instance 1, although in instance 2, it is the exact opposite, with Back is Close showing a very weird button that can't be moved in the customize dialog.

I instance 1, I've had issues in the past with the ublock origin button not remaining on the toolbar.

Kind of feels like I'm flying the Millenium Falcon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-29, 01:49

So this is actually you having -extension- issues, and you're also on the unstable release.

Try with release versions.
Also, moving this to extensions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2019-07-29, 01:53

I don't know how to move this to extensions.

The second version of pale moon has very few extensions. I could remove all but the problem extensions. However, I've had button issues throughout the history of my usage for over 5 years, on different versions, including stable releases.

I just want to know where the order of the buttons is stored. It's a pale moon question.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-29, 01:57

No it isn't.. It is the same old bootstrap extension button bullshit that gets posted every few months along with how the browser quit prompt gets posted.. ALSO Is Basilisk the new Pale Moon... Not to mention DRM site doesn't work in a browser without DRM.. and Facebook and Twitter is slow and videos don't work until they do work again.

It never ends.

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2019-07-29, 02:00

LOL, I'm sorry Tobin. I'm just in my own little world trying to get my toys to work. What exactly is " bootstrap extension button "

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-29, 02:06

When it comes to Bootstrap Extensions and Toolbar buttons you can't be sure of toolbar button order when they all dynamically add their shit all at once and likely asynchronously. This is a hallmark of bad coding and design inherent to Bootstrap extensions. You can do it to reduce the frequency of it but it has to be done carefully and creatively. Going by the book in this case will always result in these types of issues. Because it was a huge hack so people wouldn't cry about restarting their browser.

There will also never be a resolution from us for this because any change of how bootstrap loads would result in massive incompatibility and bust a good chunk of the back catalog of extensions doing Bootstrap and Jetpack.

This is why for new extensions and for forked projects to use or convert to standard overlay toolkit-style extensions whenever possible. That is where you will get your best and predictable results every time.

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2019-07-29, 02:18

Thank you for explaining that. Your patience is of a saint. :-)