Adblockers, I am lost

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Adblockers, I am lost

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2019-06-24, 04:41

A dumb question
5 weeks ago I had a stroke after vascular surgery to my left eye. Now I am blind in left eye, one good eye remaining.
Now I can be one-eyed about Pale Moon.
I have lost brain cells (3rd time after radiation treatment to head and neck in 2008 & a stroke in 2015)
My memory has been affected ... would appreciate generous understanding.
For memory (what I have left) ABL is not recommended; recently I clean installed PM.
Unstoppable videos are now beyond a joke.

uBockO, uMatrix, are in my notes but all I can find on PM Extensions-addons are uBock Origin Updater and nMatrix.
What is the latest "go" for some adblocking, gif blocking and video blocking.
NoScript looks very demanding .. too much for this fried brain

Thank you in advance :)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Adblockers, I am lost

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2019-06-24, 05:41

Don't know why you say ABL not recommended, works perfectly for me.

ABL

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2019-06-24, 06:13

bawldiggle wrote:
2019-06-24, 04:41
uBockO, uMatrix, are in my notes but all I can find on PM Extensions-addons are uBock Origin Updater and nMatrix.
What is the latest "go" for some adblocking, gif blocking and video blocking.
NoScript looks very demanding .. too much for this fried brain
NoScript is not recommended (and if you use it, your PM will become non-supported).

eMatrix is the fork of uMatrix for PM, works great for me, but if you find NoScript too demanding, I'm not sure eMatrix is for you, but no harm trying it out.

I'm using ABPrime, but ABL should work fine too if you prefer that.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-06-24, 06:33

UBO is, in my opinion, the best at blocking things and customizing what's filtered, as well as finding a way to load a ton of filter lists if desired without it slowing browser startup.

The only complication there is that for Pale Moon, UBO needs to be installed from GitHub rather than the AMO, and then a separate extension needs to be installed for updates, which is available in the AMO. More info on how to do that here (Not sure how current those instructions are): viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19024

ABPrime is more straight forward to get up and running with, just install through the PM AMO, but it's not intended for people who use a lot of filter lists (Per its developer) and so it can slow down the browser when it launches if a lot of filter lists are installed (Last I checked anyhow- It may have changed since) because that'a not what it was designed to do.

ABL, like ABPrime, is a straight forward install that is designed and maintained specifically for PM, so you can count on its long-term compatibility. It loads more quickly than ABPrime last I checked if you use a lot of filter lists. However, it suffers from some of the same limitations that Ad-Block Plus has relative to UBO, as it is a fork of ABPlus.

Honestly, it depends on how bad your brain is fried. If you can handle the extra setup stuff, UBO is my recommendation. If, because of your health issues, you need it to be as simple as possible, ABL is probably right for you

Only mentioned the last part because your question specifically asked that we consider it in our responses. Hopefully its helpful and not insensitive- it was certainly intended to be helpful and not intended to be insensitive.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2019-06-24, 07:55

After struggling with the question of which plugin to use for quite a while, I ended up using the hosts project for this purpose:

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

This has the advantage of blocking these sites system-wide as opposed to just the browser but I'm wondering if there are any downsides I'm overlooking. Clarifications would be most welcome.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-06-24, 10:57

htuyar wrote:
2019-06-24, 07:55
Clarifications would be most welcome.
To begin with, it doesn't allow grouping subdomains in a single entry, so if an ad company serves ads from a1.adcom.tld, a2.adcom.tld, a3.adcom.tld then you have to list each of them in the list. As such, it's easy to circumvent, just set up a new subdomain and tell about it to the DNS.
Another issue is that if you change device you lose your list, while you can synchronize extensions among devices. This is minor though, as not every device allows the same software.
Some extensions actually block the connection from being established with the ad server, while hosts simply redirects to localhost, meaning it consumes resources.
Some other extensions, like uBlock, are actually content blockers, meaning you can block more than just ads, making them more powerful than a simple hosts list.
This is what I can think of right now, I'm likely missing some.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-24, 11:59

Adblock Latitude is my daily driver -- I do recommend it (and not just because I'm the de facto maintainer) and since moving to UXP with shared CSS rules it's certainly not as heavy on the browser as it used to be. When you do, though, I recommend using Blockzilla and Peter Lowe's list as subscriptions in favor of Easylist, because Easylist has become less effective by using unsupported rule formatting specific to ABP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2019-06-24, 12:58

vannilla wrote:
2019-06-24, 10:57
To begin with, it doesn't allow grouping subdomains in a single entry, so if an ad company serves ads from a1.adcom.tld, a2.adcom.tld, a3.adcom.tld then you have to list each of them in the list. As such, it's easy to circumvent, just set up a new subdomain and tell about it to the DNS.
Another issue is that if you change device you lose your list, while you can synchronize extensions among devices. This is minor though, as not every device allows the same software.
It sounds to me like these are important if you want to keep track of the block list yourself and less of an issue if you are using lists curated by others, right?
vannilla wrote:
Some extensions actually block the connection from being established with the ad server, while hosts simply redirects to localhost, meaning it consumes resources.
On the other hand, it is one less plugin which should free up some resources I hope.
vannilla wrote:
This is what I can think of right now, I'm likely missing some.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-06-24, 15:07

htuyar wrote:
2019-06-24, 12:58
It sounds to me like these are important if you want to keep track of the block list yourself and less of an issue if you are using lists curated by others, right?
Consider this: someone adds a subdomain to the hosts list and since the list is public (and maybe even placed under a public version control system), the domain owner discovers it quckly and creates a new subdomain, directing connections there.
The list curator can take any amount of time (even days) before the new subdomains is added. Once it's added, repeat the process.
The only thing stopping this cycle is that setting up new subdomains to circumvent hosts list is relatively expensive, and there might or might not be actual laws limiting this practice.
htuyar wrote:
2019-06-24, 12:58
On the other hand, it is one less plugin which should free up some resources I hope.
The cost to set up a connection to localhost (or whatever address is specified in the list) is more expensive than installing an extension on each browser and letting it block connections.
In particular, if a page has 4 ads, those are 4 connections to localhost (or whatever), versus an extension that intercept the request and stops it before the connection is even made.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-24, 15:40

vannilla wrote:
2019-06-24, 15:07
The only thing stopping this cycle is that setting up new subdomains to circumvent hosts list is relatively expensive, and there might or might not be actual laws limiting this practice.
Creating, populating and updating subdomains with ever-changing random data can be fully automated, and subdomains incur no cost at all. New subdomains will trigger a recursive DNS lookup when first encountered so the accessibility of those new subdomains will be within seconds of publication.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2019-06-25, 12:00

OK, I think I get it. Thank you both for the insight.

GStathops
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by GStathops » 2019-06-27, 12:47

..... I recommend using Blockzilla and Peter Lowe's list as subscriptions in favor of Easylist, because Easylist has become less effective by using unsupported rule formatting specific to ABP.
where do we find Blockzilla filters , because its list failed to download.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-27, 22:43

Hm seems blockzilla has vanished! Github/list is gone, webpage gone. Github account under the same dev name is a placeholder.

Last successful download I had was Saturday, March 16, 2019.

For the record (and for anyone wanting to pick up the torch), here's included the last public version, F18.
Attachments
blockzilla-F18.txt
(28.68 KiB) Downloaded 454 times