most popular user agent updater extension

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mekineer

most popular user agent updater extension

Unread post by mekineer » 2019-06-16, 18:24

I've seen extensions that randomize the user agent, but they don't have an update service that checks frequently for the most currently used user agents. Here's some of what I've been writing on my site:

" I tried using an extension called Eclipsed Moon (for Pale Moon Browser), which randomly changes my browser User Agent declaration, so a site thinks I'm on Firefox and Windows 10 for one session, and Chrome and Windows 7 in another session. However, logging into Google, I kept getting security alerts, because “a new device” had connected to my account. This was annoying enough to keep me from continuing to use it.

Instead of constantly changing your user agent, you can use the most common user agent. Since people are constantly updating their web browser, the user agent updates with it. If you are not a fan of updating your system, or you don't use a mainstream web browser, you should use the most common user agent possible. The following are updated lists of the most common user agent:

https://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/01 ... ser-agents
https://github.com/gitbugged/random-age ... gents.json "

Does anyone know of an extension that, at least, just changes your user agent to the most common one, day to day?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: most popular user agent updater extension

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-16, 18:35

It is quite site specific on what UA will work which is why we have site specific user agent overrides.

mekineer

Re: most popular user agent updater extension

Unread post by mekineer » 2019-06-16, 21:14

Yeah, I saw those browsing through about:config. I used to have a "general.useragent.override" setting that's gone now. I think me and the extension "Clean Uninstall" took it out.

My goal wasn't compatibility, rather to blend in. Although if having the "general.useragent.override" setting means that the site-specific-UA settings will be ignored, I will give that up.