Which extensions to download YouTube videos currently work?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Which extensions to download YouTube videos currently work?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-20, 11:33

doofy wrote:
2019-07-19, 18:04
You're aware of course that yt hosts copyright material that the uploaders have no rights to.

So even viewing it is a bit naughty.
Note on YouTube's website on every page: "© 2019 YouTube, LLC"

As for viewing, YouTube, the Copyright holder, specifically licenses the material to be viewed, just like the uploaders license it to YouTube (see https://www.youtube.com/t/terms point 8) to be used for the operation of their websites. That doesn't necessarily give you the right to own a copy or download it in a reproduction format. As said before, licenses for streaming and downloading are decidedly different.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-08-07, 06:37

illiad wrote:
2019-07-08, 20:34
MANY things are illegal, but there are many manufactured devices made to do those illegal things
What is your point?
Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-07-18, 20:53
I do have downnloader programmes that work
Downloader programmes? So you mean, for instance, that you have taped videos of how to download things and/or professional booklets provided to you at events about how to download things, or something similar to that?
fillerup wrote:
2019-07-19, 17:31
of all the things to get self-righteous about..
Are you going to pull the "sharing is caring" hogwash that is often used by people who engage in this practice?
Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-20, 11:33
As for viewing, YouTube, the Copyright holder, specifically licenses the material to be viewed, just like the uploaders license it to YouTube (see https://www.youtube.com/t/terms point 8) to be used for the operation of their websites.
This is a relief. I don't use YouTube much, but I always have wondered about that subject. Thanks for the information, Moonchild.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-08-08, 04:32

tharthan, you're easily the most obnoxious new poster of the year.
Downloader programmes? So you mean, for instance, that you have taped videos of how to download things and/or professional booklets provided to you at events about how to download things, or something similar to that?
woah guys look at me, i can correct a non-native's spelling in the most condescending manner possible. instead of sounding smart like you're trying so hard to do, you end up looking like a egotistical high school kid with multiple sticks up his ass.

(btw your attempt at 'humor' is abysmal, please read some books)

as for the intent of my quote, it is meant to simply point out that

1. it's too small a deal in the big scheme of things to get so worked up about
2. how absurd it is for tobin to inject his very strong philosophical opinion into a technical subject where nobody asked for it

but tobin has always done as he pleases, so it doesn't surprise me in the least. foolish me for thinking he actually turned a new leaf. and as much as i love MC, it is outrageous that you've let this behavior persist for as long as it does, oftentimes to the great detriment of the project's reputation. then again, i've seen first hand how you guys don't really care for even long time community members, if they happen to have some opinion you don't agree with. that's also why i stopped caring.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-08, 08:48

Off-topic:
@fillerup

You've waived your rights to complain about Tobin's presence (and all it entails) by overwhelmingly voting him to stay. (that's a plural you). I'm tired of hearing the complaints about it and how I am, for some absurd reason, considered personally responsible for "letting" certain people post their opinions on this forum. Well excuse you for posting in topics that are subject to debate for good reason.

If you don't like it or the opinions expressed about it and want to continue posting off-topic and inflammatory posts like the one you just did, then you can just go. I don't think anyone will miss your abrasive posts. The door's right there. Remember to close it on your way out.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-08-08, 10:57

Off-topic:
hmm, childish rambling about ' down-loader programs' ? it seems there is no idea about the real subject, just parroting to rant?? :?: :roll:

A quick check in YT terms does not find it, but surely 'downloading for **non-profit** , **personal use only** ' is allowed as part of copyright law??

My boss is very strict on this, if you set up a big screen to play YT etc to members of your company/club, it is considered a 'performance' and a breach of copyright!
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-08, 12:17

It seems people don't understand that streaming and downloading is not the same thing, and you CAN'T use the terms interchangeably, no matter if technically speaking, the same bits are flowing through the wire to you.

Streaming:
  • You play a file that is stored elsewhere.
  • The file does not need to be moved or copied to the device that is playing it.
  • The source of the streaming must be available and turned on.
When streaming, you are not reproducing anything. Nothing is copied or saved.
Licenses for streaming only allow remote playback of material stored in one location, not reproduction.

Downloading:
  • You make a copy of a file stored elsewhere.
  • You are storing this file on your own device.
  • The source of the download does not have to be available after download; you are making an independent reproduction that in turn, can be reproduced again.
When downloading, you ARE reproducing the material.
Licenses for downloading allow reproduction of the material.

As you can imagine, copyright law applies differently to streaming and downloading because one is a performance, the other is a reproduction.
Licensing for performance (youtube) and reproduction (youtube downloader apps) are distinctly different. Youtube licensing (as given by uploaders/producers) allows their public performance of videos stored on their servers, not reproduction to any viewer/listener. The same way at a concert you are allowed to listen to the performance but not allowed to record it.

If after this you still don't understand the difference, then I give up trying to teach.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-08-08, 13:44

Off-topic:
I don't think anyone will miss your abrasive posts
indeed, i invite everyone to look at my past posts for themselves and see just exactly how abrasively written they are.

if that's your characterization of my best efforts to provide some meager value back to this community over the past however many years, then i certainly don't feel a need to hang around any longer. then again i can't be too surprised, better members than i have received more unjust treatment from the 'management' here.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-08-08, 13:58

fillerup wrote:
2019-08-08, 04:32
tharthan, you're easily the most obnoxious new poster of the year.
It depends upon what person you are asking. I am aware that I rub some people the wrong way, though.

Also, not exactly new: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8743&p=57894#p57894
fillerup wrote:
woah guys look at me, i can correct a non-native's spelling in the most condescending manner possible.
I saw no indication that the poster was not a native English speaker. I apologise if they are.
fillerup wrote:
instead of sounding smart like you're trying so hard to do
I'm not actually trying to do that. What others think of my intelligence is their business. I just thought that it was funny, because most who use programme know the difference between a computer program and, say, a television programme.
fillerup wrote:
(btw your attempt at 'humor' is abysmal, please read some books)
The best humour is largely natural. Trying to develop a sense of humour from "Jokes for Dummies" books or whatever might be out there is not the best idea.
fillerup wrote:
foolish me for thinking he actually turned a new leaf. and as much as i love MC, it is outrageous that you've let this behavior persist for as long as it does, oftentimes to the great detriment of the project's reputation. then again, i've seen first hand how you guys don't really care for even long time community members, if they happen to have some opinion you don't agree with. that's also why i stopped caring.
What is everyone's beef with Tobin?

We all have our quirks and idiosyncrasies, and many of us can be a bit hot-blooded (including myself).

Tobin seems like a good fellow to me.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-08, 14:32

Can we keep things on-topic please? Tharthan and fillerup, if you have something to work out between you two, please take it to PMs.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-04, 03:56

Advertising Chrome extensions to a community that is pretty vehemently anti-Chrome? Whaddya nuts?

Take it elsewhere.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-04, 03:59

And reported.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-04, 04:04

Off-topic:
I keep forgetting that that's a feature. D'oh.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-04, 05:04

Off-topic:
Nah, I needed to do it so they can just attribute it to me and dismiss it as not being legit so they can become emboldened to continue escalating infractions so they eventually get banned. That way I don't have to read as many posts from criminals.

Basically it is a huge manipulation. Completely legitimate but a manipulation never the less.

The only drawback is the high risk of Pale Moon Derangement Syndrome. Perhaps I should reconsider such courses of action. Hmm..

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-04, 05:11

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-04, 05:04
Off-topic:
The only drawback is the high risk of Pale Moon Derangement Syndrome. Perhaps I should reconsider such courses of action. Hmm..
Off-topic:
They'll just go whine about it on the unofficial subReddit or make snarky comments on GHacks posts about PM.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-09-14, 19:42

Off-topic:
-- was not sure, sorry for hassle :)
Isengrim wrote:
2019-09-04, 03:56
Advertising Chrome extensions to a community that is pretty vehemently anti-Chrome? Whaddya nuts?

Take it elsewhere.
you may be getting confused.. Read the following link ***without*** prejudice!!! Mozilla used the name FIRST!
Last edited by illiad on 2019-09-14, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-09-14, 20:00

moonbat wrote:
2019-09-04, 05:11
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-04, 05:04
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
They'll just go whine about it on the unofficial subReddit or make snarky comments on GHacks posts about PM.
Off-topic:
In UK, I am not sure about American grammar.. :/
(Derangement Syndrome - (idiomatic, colloquial) The acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal and balanced people triggered by the mention of a specific topic.)
but surely, that is what reddit is for, eg making comments up to irritate people??

If you have lots of addons (see OP..) you depend on, you now find that PM is the ONLY one that will work nicely.. (now the original FF is dead, yes, even the ESR ones will only do 'webexts'.. :cry: :'( )

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-15, 02:51

illiad wrote:
2019-09-14, 20:00
Off-topic:
In UK, I am not sure about American grammar.. :/
(Derangement Syndrome - (idiomatic, colloquial) The acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal and balanced people triggered by the mention of a specific topic.)
Off-topic:
Oh it's a thing over there for sure, look up Trump Derangement Syndrome :P
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-09-15, 08:02

Off-topic:
Have it here in the uk certainly.It is called brexit lol :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-09-16, 09:18

Moonraker wrote:
2019-09-15, 08:02
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
well its the standard definition of a politician... how do you know he is lying??
he opens his mouth...

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-09-16, 09:21

Off-topic:
illiad wrote:
2019-09-16, 09:18
Moonraker wrote:
2019-09-15, 08:02
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
well its the standard definition of a politician... how do you know he is lying??
he opens his mouth...
Off-topic:
House of commons is a house of treasonous snakes and self entitled liars and traitors.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1