question if some old add-ons work or will crash Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

question if some old add-ons work or will crash

Unread post by dchmelik » 2019-01-26, 05:38

After various changes, I had to not just recheck old addons but make a new profile and do that. I'm wondering if a few old ones even work. You may have never even heard of one or more of these, or some may have been recommended as alternatives on the now-gone incompatible add-ons page, and some may have become redundant. What is the status of these working or not?
  • 404: File is Not Found? Now it will be (I loved this addon but it's so old it's not even in the new archive of old ones in another thread. This one was very useful but could've been so old it broke my profile? Or would that be another below?)
  • Add-ons Manager Fix
  • Developer Tools
  • Greedy Cache
  • RightToClick
  • SmoothWheel
  • Youtube Lazy Load

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: question if some old add-ons work or will crash

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-03-14, 13:18

Definitely remove Add-ons Manager Fix. Despite the name it is horribly broken and will cause you major issues.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-14, 13:35

DevTools are build into the browser. Greedy Cache works. Youtube Lazy Load works if you use the default YouTube SSUAO.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-03-14, 21:14

What is SSUAO? I could not find it with a search engine.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-14, 21:20

Site Specific User Agent Override.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2019-03-15, 00:18

Off-topic:
dchmelik wrote:404: File is Not Found? Now it will be (I loved this addon but it's so old it's not even in the new archive of old ones in another thread.
Now that is ironic.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2019-03-16, 03:23

Thanks for the help so far.

Is it correct that Pale Moon already has a smooth mouse scroll, and already lets you right-click on any site?

Is there anywhere I can upload my copy of the '404: File Not Found? Now It Will Be' to see if it still works and can be added to the old addons pack? Just I'm not sure I can find out anymore who wrote that. It was a long time ago... '00s... still see it mentioned on a German site about Firefox, and a Spanish(?) site.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-03-17, 08:46

dchmelik wrote:Is it correct that Pale Moon already has a smooth mouse scroll, and already lets you right-click on any site?
mouse scroll - I guess yes, why don't you try and see for yourself.
right-click - absolutely yes (however sites can still prevent it for "security" reasons)

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2019-03-17, 08:58

adesh wrote:
dchmelik wrote:right-click - absolutely yes (however sites can still prevent it for "security" reasons)
That doesn't sound absolute. That's what the RightToClick addon is supposed to prevent.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-17, 09:46

If you set dom.event.contextmenu.enabled to false web sites will not be able to prevent the context menu from opening.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-17, 10:11

yami_ wrote:If you set dom.event.contextmenu.enabled to false web sites will not be able to prevent the context menu from opening.
With the drawback that websites will not be able to give you a context menu in web applications or be able to add convenience functions to the context menu.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2019-03-17, 16:36

For those few oddball sites that disable right clicking, you can always temporarily disable Java Script.

Or, in lieu of Right-To-Click, you can install QuickJS 1.3.1, which allows you to quickly enable / disable JS with a tool bar button.

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2019-03-18, 04:30

I don't need any more help in this thread. I was told on IRC to post here but maybe hadn't been clear enough. I couldn't find the listed addons on the Pale Moon site, though some are there. Some of the rest didn't seem necessary or weren't in the classic addons archive. It's the ones that weren't in the archive that I suspected crashed my old profile. What actually crashed it was 'add-ons manager fix,' which I deleted from the profile folder and was able to recover my old profile. Thanks.