"Set as Bookmark Toolbar Folder" Feature

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Logdur

"Set as Bookmark Toolbar Folder" Feature

Unread post by Logdur » 2019-01-16, 19:29

Hello there,
i run into a Problem after i install the last update.
I really would like to use PaleMoon in future so I have to ask, maybe someone can bring the functionality back in.

I use the “Set as Bookmark Toolbar Folder” Addon. Its maybe one of the most useful bookmark management tools. You can just switch your Bookmark Toolbar to the current Category you need at the given time.
But the Addon is not available for download anymore and well, after the update it runs in compatibility mode and I cannot use it in the library manager anymore.

This simple tool was one of the crucial reasons I choosed Palemoon over any other Browser. And I hope there is a solution to keep it working again. Maybe you can consider to give PaleMoon this functionality by default, like Vivaldi that have it build in (but still is unfinished on many other levels)

Thank you for reading

JustOff

Re: "Set as Bookmark Toolbar Folder" Feature

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-16, 20:54

Logdur wrote:I use the “Set as Bookmark Toolbar Folder” Addon [..]
But the Addon is not available for download anymore
You can download it from the archives.
and well, after the update it runs in compatibility mode and I cannot use it in the library manager anymore.
However, as far as I can see, it works just fine with the Bookmarks menu in Pale Moon.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-16, 20:55

Logdur wrote:after the update it runs in compatibility mode and I cannot use it in the library manager anymore.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain, or provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?
Logdur wrote:Maybe you can consider to give PaleMoon this functionality by default, like Vivaldi that have it build in
This is simply because Pale Moon doesn't need to have as many features built into it by default, like many other browsers do, because it is a much more customizable and extendable browser.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Logdur

Unread post by Logdur » 2019-01-16, 21:16

JustOff wrote:
Logdur wrote:I use the “Set as Bookmark Toolbar Folder” Addon [..]
But the Addon is not available for download anymore
You can download it from the archives.
Thank you JustOff,
I saved a copy of the xpi for any case, but even if you still can find it online its not on http://addons.palemoon.org/
So its not directly accessible for people who look after it. And might not work at all soon enough.
However, as far as I can see, it works just fine with the Bookmarks menu in Pale Moon.
Yes its not 100% crippled now, but who knows how it will be after next update.

As for build this in as a feauture: its just a context menu modification, very lightweight and will not hurt either speed nor the design. On the other hand it would be a big + concerning usability

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-01-16, 21:24

Logdur wrote:but even if you still can find it online its not on http://addons.palemoon.org/
So its not directly accessible for people who look after it. And might not work at all soon enough.
Extensions are made available on the Pale Moon addons site by the extension developers, and only if they are specifically designed to support Pale Moon. Since this extension is no longer readily available online, I'm guessing it is no longer actively developed. Someone would need to fork it, configure it to support Pale Moon directly, and continue to support it in order for it to be listed on the Pale Moon addons site.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-16, 21:34

Logdur wrote:As for build this in as a feauture: its just a context menu modification, very lightweight and will not hurt either speed nor the design. On the other hand it would be a big + concerning usability
But if it works well as an extension, why build in a feature that not everyone even wants or needs? It would also become more code for the browser developers to maintain and update, which is not as simple a task as it may appear.

Add-on users are heavily encouraged to fork and develop add-ons for Pale Moon, rather than trying to rely on Firefox-only add-ons that, as you say, may not work at some point in the future because they have not been made more compatible.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story