Palemoon addons not approved?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Palemoon addons not approved?

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-10, 21:21

Are those extensions listed at https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ checked or approved in any way?
It seems not, I checked "Error Console2" and "Modify Http Response".

"Error Console2" has many bugs:
-clearing it causes internal error
-choosing filters with buttons checks or un-checks other buttons
-domain filter does not work at all
...just to name a few issues

"Modify HTTP Response" does not work at all:
- first the manual how to use it is wrong...
...I analyzed the code, did 2 hours of debugging
- host and paths must NOT be enclosed in "" !
- but however this is not the only bug, I'm currently working on the httpObserver subroutine which obviously fails.

Finally, my request: Please allow addon-ratings as long as you do not have experts to check or approve your listed addons.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Palemoon addons not approved?

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-01-10, 21:30

All add-ons are checked prior to publishing. This is done by the Add-ons Team members in particular (myself included).

It should be noted with Error Console² in particular, that this is an older extension aimed at Pale Moon 27 and below (as noted by its author in the description). This add-on has been on the site for several years already.

In any case, bugs within add-ons should be reported to the author (in both cases, this is JustOff).
Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:Please allow addon-ratings as long as you do not have experts to check or approve your listed addons.
Social features such as this are not planned at this time as they would have potential for abuse. It also creates favouritism within add-ons, which is not something we want to encourage; all add-ons should be treated equally on our site.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-10, 21:39

@Lootyhoof

Thank you, but instead of contacting JustOff, I think I'm pretty much faster in fixing those addons myself.
I'm currently working on it since I need those addons.

However, I understand your concerns related to ratings. As former FF addon developer I know very well about those problems.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-10, 21:42

If you are going to fix them, I also recommend offering them as PRs to JustOff's repos. I'm sure he'd appreciate the help.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-10, 21:48

@Isengrim

"If you are going to fix them, I also recommend offering them as PRs to JustOff's repos. I'm sure he'd appreciate the help."

PR ?
Repo ?

Sorry, I'm german not a native english speaker.
PR and repo sounds to me like alien-klingon language.
Can you specifify where I should post my fixed addons as soon they are ready for publishing?

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-01-10, 21:55

On both of these listings, there's a link to a "Source Repository" (hosted at GitHub) where the code for each add-on lives.

https://github.com/JustOff/error-console2-pm
https://github.com/JustOff/modify-http-response

In GitHub terms, a "PR" or "Pull Request" is to work on the code on your own and submit the patches back to the source. What Isengrim was suggesting was to submit the changes back to these (though it's of course only a suggestion). This way the author (JustOff) could release an update with the fixes if he chooses.

In any case, if any add-on is to be submitted to our site, you can PM either me or FranklinDM with the add-on to be published (such that we can review it), noting the details here which would be required before we can publish it.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-10, 21:56

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:"Error Console2" has many bugs:
As Lootyhoof mentioned above, this add-on is not compatible with Pale Moon 28, and this is clearly stated in the add-on description. It was created specifically for Pale Moon 27.0.0, which did not contain the developer tools, which now completely supersede all the necessary functions of the error console.
You are wrong they should be enclosed, see the example provided in the add-on description. However, they will be automatically added to the config when using the built-in editor.
- but however this is not the only bug, I'm currently working on the httpObserver subroutine which obviously fails.
I myself have been using this extension every day since its creation for almost three years without any problems. If you need help to customize it for your needs, you can ask a specific question here or on GitHub.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-10, 22:40

@JustOff
Thanks for answering me, I love your extensions!
As Lootyhoof mentioned above, this add-on is not compatible with Pale Moon 28, and this is clearly stated in the add-on description. It was created specifically for Pale Moon 27.0.0, which did not contain the developer tools, which now completely supersede all the necessary functions of the error console.
Well, I know, but I need it so much for my own development.
Are you going to fix it quite soon, or should I take this task over?
I would prefer you do it, since there seem much more addons that need to be fixed for the current Palemoon release.
----------------------------------------------------------------
You are wrong they should be enclosed, see the example provided in the add-on description. However, they will be automatically added to the config when using the built-in editor.
In bootstrap.js I added at the beginning of httpObserver:

for (var i=0; i < fArray.length; i++) {
//insertion beginning
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/consoleservice;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIConsoleService).logStringMessage("fArray[0]= "+fArray[0]);
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/consoleservice;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIConsoleService).logStringMessage("subject.URI.host= "+subject.URI.host);
//insertion end
if (typeof fArray[0] == "string" ? fArray[0] == subject.URI.host : subject.URI.host.search(fArray[0]) != -1) {...............

Comparision of logged messages show:
fArray[0]= www.netzmafia.de
subject.URI.host= www.netzmafia.de

which are identical, because I now did Not use apostrophes like ""

Thus your addon works for me until:
if (typeof fArray[j][0] == "string" ? fArray[j][0] == subject.URI.path : subject.URI.path.search(fArray[j][0]) != -1)

....currently investigating, why stopping here again

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-10, 22:58

@Lootyhoof
On both of these listings, there's a link to a "Source Repository" (hosted at GitHub) where the code for each add-on lives.
I don't need a source repository. Using a well configured file manager, you can just doubleclick any XPI file to open it and to view the code in your favourite editor. And for sure, I checked in advanve the latest version at github, but in this case it was the same as offered at Palemoon extensions.
In GitHub terms, a "PR" or "Pull Request" is to work on the code on your own and submit the patches back to the source. What Isengrim was suggesting was to submit the changes back to these (though it's of course only a suggestion). This way the author (JustOff) could release an update with the fixes if he chooses.
Thank you, very uselful answer for me!
In any case, if any add-on is to be submitted to our site, you can PM either me or FranklinDM with the add-on to be published (such that we can review it), noting the details here which would be required before we can publish it.
Thank you. But currently I still need to work on the addons, it will take some time until they are ready for publishing.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-10, 23:35

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:Are you going to fix it quite soon, or should I take this task over?
I currently have no plans to work on this extension. Feel free to do whatever you want with it under MPL 2.0.
....currently investigating, why stopping here again
It will be easier for me to figure out what exactly is not working for you if you share the filter that you created.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-12, 18:55

I currently have no plans to work on this extension. Feel free to do whatever you want with it under MPL 2.0.
Thank you!
It will be easier for me to figure out what exactly is not working for you if you share the filter that you created.
Yes, for sure, sorry I forgot to post my test-setup.
I choosed a simple web-page and a simple task:

Test page:
http://www.netzmafia.de/skripten/index.html
Host:
"www.netzmafia.de"
Path:
"skripten/index.html"
Search:
"Sie"
Replace:
REPLACED
....then saved an filter enabled
...then cleared cache and full reload of affected page

Expectation:
First occurence of 'Sie' should be replaced by REPLACED
That means:
Hier finden Sie alle per WWW verfügbaren,
should change to...
Hier finden REPLACED alle per WWW verfügbaren,

Result:
Nothimg happened

My personal fix:
Do not use any quotes, neither for host nor for path nor for Search.

Above I wrote:
"- but however this is not the only bug, I'm currently working on the httpObserver subroutine which obviously fails."
I wish to apologize for this, there is no issue with your code, just with your description and possibly only for me.
I believe that the addon works for you - and only by using quotes. But for me quotes make it fail. For whatever reason.

However, I got it working for me now.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-12, 19:25

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:Test page: http://www.netzmafia.de/skripten/index.html
Host: "www.netzmafia.de"
Path: "skripten/index.html"
Search: "Sie"
Replace: REPLACED
The simplest way to do this is obviously the following:
palemoon_2019-01-12_21-09-28.png
That will give this config:
palemoon_2019-01-12_21-16-13.png

Code: Select all

[["www.netzmafia.de",["/skripten/index.html",["Sie","REPLACED"]]]]
My personal fix:
Do not use any quotes, neither for host nor for path nor for Search.
Thus, the filter must contain quotes, but you do not need to enter them in the editor ;)
However, I got it working for me now.
I am glad you found a way to use it as you need.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-12, 19:36

Just a note:
Above I posted the path with a typo, a missing slash, it should have been:
Path:
"/skripten/index.html"

@JustOff
Well, might has been a misunderstanding of your manual:
I always used the internal editor, but due to your manual I used quotes with your editor.
Possibly you might wish to add a note like "Do not add quotes with filters created using the addon editor"

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-12, 19:48

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev wrote:Possibly you might wish to add a note like "Do not add quotes with filters created using the addon editor"
Thanks, I added the following to the description: "When using the built-in editor, these rules will be applied automatically". Hope this helps to avoid such misunderstandings.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-12, 19:49

And possibly you can provide an example, how to enter regexpressions with your editor?
This could save me time to view your editor code, I wish to start fixing the error console which needs some help.
I know it's code much better, because I fixed it some years ago, just for me.

You wrote:
When Host, Path or Search matches to ^/.+/[igm]{0,3}$ it treated as regexp.
I tried (using editor):
^/S.+/$ with my example above, but did not work yet.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-12, 19:56

Well, describing regexp using regexp probably really wasn't a good idea. I will try to arrange it in a different way and add examples.

This, for example, will replace all words beginning with 's' and ending with 'e', ignoring case:

Code: Select all

[["www.netzmafia.de",["/skripten/index.html",["/\\ss.+?e\\s/gi"," REPLACED "]]]]
Last edited by JustOff on 2019-01-12, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-12, 20:19

Well, describing regexp using regexp probably really wasn't a good idea. I will try to arrange it in a different way and add examples.
Thank, then I can start with error console now.
I will let you know as soon as I finished the work.
Then you can decide if you wish to publish it again with the modificitations I suggested.
And thanks for all the work on your other addons you have saved/fixed for Palemoon.
I use many of them.

Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev

Unread post by Ikrg[NetCat]addonDev » 2019-01-13, 21:28

@JustOff
I am done with errorconsole2 very soon, only a few fixes were required.

Where should I post my work?
Do you prefer the two source files as text
or
the complete xpi - file?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-13, 22:27

Obviously, collaborative development is most convenient when using tools and services specifically created for this, in particular Git and GitHub. However, if you don't have such experience, then the xpi file with all the changes made is the preferred option. You can send it to me via private message here on the forum or by email.