Forecast Fox Broken

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Create AccuWeather Shortcut Keys

Unread post by riiis » 2018-12-14, 17:40

Using keyboard shortcuts and Fast Dial, AccuWeather forecasts and weather also can be displayed in a tab or the sidebar. You don't need to use the Fast Dial speeddial, new tab, or other features. That is, Fast Dial can be used only to set up shortcut keys for AccuWeather and/or other web sites. And, optionally open these AccuWeather webpages in the sidebar.

To add a keyboard shortcut for AccuWeather (or any other web site), right-click the AccuWeather thumbnail on the Fast Dial speed dial page. Then, select "Properties" from the context menu. Then, press your shortcut key combination (for example, "Ctrl+Alt+A") while in the shortcut key field. If the AccuWeather thumbnail does not exist, right-click the AccuWeather webpage. Then click the Fast Dial context menu to create.
make-shortcut.jpg
To display Accuweather in the sidebar, find the Fast Dial bookmark for AccuWeather in Pale Moon bookmarks (Ctrl+Shift+B). Check "Load this bookmark in the sidebar". Note that Accuweather uses a different (i.e. "mobile") URL (https://m.accuweather.com/) for webpages intended to be displayed in the sidebar (from the URL for webpages intended to be displayed in a tab or separate window). So, you should also edit the bookmark url/location as well. Note the bookmark url/location can also be edited in Fast Dial thumbnail properties.
show-in-sidebar.jpg
sidebar-weather.jpg
Last edited by riiis on 2018-12-14, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Forecast Fox Broken

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2018-12-31, 02:11

rabnbeinn wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:
If you are using Forecastfox/Forecastfox Weather or Forecastfox (fix version), instead try using Forecastfox for Pale Moon.
Broken link

http://addons-dev.palemoon.org/addon/forecastfox-pm/
Very much appreciate the updated link, so thanks!

However, interestingly enough, you can't add a new location with Forecastfox for Pale Moon. Just edit and remove. I did finally figure out how to add a new location (and without messing with the New York location, too!).

For those who might be interested, here's what I used. I did not have to figure out the lat/long, thank the Lord, and the radar works and everything.

Now, do remember, other posters are correct in that you'll need a SQL Lite editor. Not too hard to find online, though. All of the code below comes from the value attached to the locations.saved key.

Code: Select all

[{"code":"postalCode:60513|US","name":"Brookfield, IL 60513, USA","latlng":{"lat":41.825124,"lng":-87.85006440000001}},
{"name":"New York, NY","code":"cityId:349727"},
{"code":"postalCode:75080|US","name":"Richardson, TX 75080, USA"}]
Now, the top line of code is what I already had previously, back when setting locations worked. I've had that for years, I bet, since I make a habit of moving my profile folders to new computers and back to the old computer as well. Has to do with keeping Roboform alive, 'cause the old workaround for Roboform hasn't worked in eons. But I digress.

The second line of code, I bet everyone can recognize. New York, New York, Forecastfox's default location.

The third line of code is what I just added tonight. I was able to use the postal code instead of the city ID; not sure which is better, they may be equal. I copied that from Brookfield, then altered to the Texas zip. The name, I put in manually, mimicking the Brookfield line.

One important thing to note, which I royally missed at first and made this project take a bit longer: The square brackets only appear once in this block of code. At the beginning and at the end. If you already have those square brackets, use the curly braces (and the comma).

You may have to click on the 5 day forecast before it will load automatically, which does take you to the Accuweather site, but then it saves the settings and does the little popup when you mouse over it. Radar worked right off the bat.

I hope this will help all of you trying to add locations to this excellent weather addon and I also hope that the fork for Palemoon will continue and improve to the point that manual tinkering is no longer necessary.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen.

He is not a tame Lion...but he is Good.

Connect, Respect, Protect

Let's Keep the Peace!

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-12-31, 18:58

sunstarunicorn wrote:However, interestingly enough, you can't add a new location with Forecastfox for Pale Moon.
Unfortunately, this failure applies to all those flavors of Forecastfox that are compatible with Pale Moon (not just "Forecastfox for Pale Moon"). Apparently, 'https://www.google.com/maps/api/" was being queried to find the longitude and latitude of the location to be added to Forecastfox. Longitude and latitude of the new location can no longer be determined, because 'https://www.google.com/maps/api/" is no longer available (or is no longer available for that purpose). The now-missing longitude and latitude, in turn, apparently were being used to obtain the location ID ("cityId ") from AccuWeather. Thus, none of this add-new-location process works anymore. Existing users of Forecastfox should be largely unaffected by this problem (or even know that the problem exists). That is, unless these existing users attempt to add a new location or to reset the Forecastfox database to the defaults. However, new users of Forecastfox won't be able to get weather for their location, unless their location just happens to be the default location of New York City (or unless they manually edit the Forecastfox database).
Now, do remember, other posters are correct in that you'll need a SQL Lite editor. Not too hard to find online, though. All of the code below comes from the value attached to the locations.saved key.

Code: Select all

[{"code":"postalCode:60513|US","name":"Brookfield, IL 60513, USA","latlng":{"lat":41.825124,"lng":-87.85006440000001}},
{"name":"New York, NY","code":"cityId:349727"},
{"code":"postalCode:75080|US","name":"Richardson, TX 75080, USA"}]
... The square brackets only appear once in this block of code. At the beginning and at the end. If you already have those square brackets, use the curly braces (and the comma).
The SQLite Manager extension (compatible with Pale Moon and which I downloaded from the Classic Add-ons Archive) is best choice for editing the forecastfox.sqlite file. I prefer SQLite Manager, for this purpose, compared to "DB Browser for SQLite", which program I also have installed and use (DB Browser for SQLite (beta) or DB Browser for SQLite v3.10.1(latest release)). The "locations.saved" value is an array of one or more "Previous Locations" (thus the square brackets).

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-31, 19:47

That the Postal Code alone can be used to set your location is an interesting discovery. How hard would it be to modify the extension to simply write the zip code to the SQL file? It seems the whole googleapi is completely unneeded anyway. You don't even need the cityID so that saves having to look that up.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2018-12-31, 21:45

Cassette wrote:That the Postal Code alone can be used to set your location is an interesting discovery. How hard would it be to modify the extension to simply write the zip code to the SQL file? It seems the whole googleapi is completely unneeded anyway. You don't even need the cityID so that saves having to look that up.
While it is true that you can use the Postal Code, I do point out that you also need the country. US in the case of Brookfield and Richardson. I suspect for other countries you could use the countrycode, but that would have to be tested.

From my own posting you can see the postal code is follow by a '|' and then US, which is likely the necessary country code. Like I said, you might need to test that further, but it's working perfectly for me.
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Let's Keep the Peace!

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-05-19, 13:53

Any idea where Forecastfox for Pale Moon has gone...??

Thanks.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2019-05-19, 14:03

I'm afraid I don't. When this topic was originally started, two links to Forecast Fox for Palemoon were posted. The second one worked, but sadly no longer does. You might try the Classic Addons thing and see if Forecastfox is one of those addons - it should be, but I've never checked.

Regardless, you're going to need the directions in this thread to give Forecast Fox any location other than New York.

Good luck and maybe someone has a better answer.

Let's Keep the Peace!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-19, 14:10

Developer pulled it because it was busted. Then he ragequit later on.

The fork based on the fork by the S3 guy was illegal anyway.

I have determined the original copyright was all rights reserved on forecastfox anyway so there shall not be any new forks of it. It's dead.

Some one will have to recreate a legal clone of it from scratch instead.

Additionally, other extensions forked by the S3 guy for (Fix versions) are also illegal. Like ScreenGrab! Which he stole the name and branding for and declaired it MPL. I will be forking that extension under the original open source license of the GPL3 for which it was dirived from based on code comparison and CAA data which lists the original version as such. Without the malvertisement code of course.

If anyone else is running any other S3 extensions, they are likely improperly used stolen code as well. I'd remove them from your system.

I will also be collecting the IDs of S3 extensions for addition to the blocklist level 3 for malvertisement and illegal stolen code. Including the fork of the fork. Which will also likely cover the S3 Translator.

The S3 guy, not the ragequitted dev, is a criminal. The only extension that LOOKS legit from the S3 guy is the torrent extension forked and adaped by Hyperbola. We haven't been able to find an orginal source for it as yet but if it does end up being more stolen code, Hyperbola will pull it and it plus the orginal will also be banned.

As WE have been falsely accused of stealing code in the past, we collectively have zero tollerence for stolen and illegal code and this is why I have been harping on the proper forks concept for years. I have at length discussed the issues behind it before but was considered by some as overstating it, being unreasonable, and overreacting regarding the subject.

As our collective efforts and individual projects and activities are attacked and demonized at every turn by a significant force of bad actors and crazed crusades here and abroad on a constant basis these justified policies are not only morally and legally correct but absolutely required.

We do not need to give them one iota of legit reason to justify their bullshit and ammo to help target our goals, morals, principles, ideology, and opinions that they disagree with.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-05-19, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-05-19, 14:49

Crying shame, that's for sure. Easily one of my most favoritest extensions, and one that I would hate to live without. I'm just so used to looking up and seeing my weather at a glance.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-19, 14:52

You could start work on a clean and functional clone of it, you know ;)

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-05-19, 15:14

I surely would too, if I had even the slightest clue of how to do so.

Alas, I am not a coder, and my two finger typing doesn't add to the likelihood that I'll ever be one.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-19, 15:23

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-19, 14:10
I will also be collecting the IDs of S3 extensions for addition to the blocklist level 3 for malvertisement and illegal stolen code. Including the fork of the fork. Which will also likely cover the S3 Translator.
I would be willing to bet that the number of people that use these add-ons is not small, so blocklisting them may affect a lot of users who rely on one or more of these add-ons (including myself). If these are going to be officially blocklisted at some point in the future, can we make a separate thread for the announcement and discussion for forking, alternatives, and other workarounds? These add-ons may be illegal, but losing their functionality before there are decent alternatives in place will likely be a sticking point with the community.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-05-19, 15:33

Isengrim wrote:
2019-05-19, 15:23
I would be willing to bet that the number of people that use these add-ons is not small, so blocklisting them may affect a lot of users who rely on one or more of these add-ons (including myself). If these are going to be officially blocklisted at some point in the future, can we make a separate thread for the announcement and discussion for forking, alternatives, and other workarounds? These add-ons may be illegal, but losing their functionality before there are decent alternatives in place will likely be a sticking point with the community.
I would say you are absolutely correct.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-05-20, 01:56

Is there a way to tell if we might have that S3 version or the legit version? :think:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-06-17, 20:23

I only use Download Manager (S3) 4.13 - couldn't find a better or equal alternative, since it's pretty damn good. Don't know about its legal status.

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-06-18, 02:47

Additionally, other extensions forked by the S3 guy for (Fix versions) are also illegal. Like ScreenGrab! Which he stole the name and branding for and declaired it MPL. I will be forking that extension under the original open source license of the GPL3 for which it was dirived from based on code comparison and CAA data which lists the original version as such. Without the malvertisement code of course.

If anyone else is running any other S3 extensions, they are likely improperly used stolen code as well. I'd remove them from your system.

Would like to obtain a list of extensions which I shall remove. As for S3 Translator, this is the URL suggested for donations. Is it stolen code or?

http://www.s3blog.org/addon-contribute/ ... .35-donate

Tks
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2020-01-06, 22:14

I have determined the original copyright was all rights reserved on forecastfox anyway so there shall not be any new forks of it. It's dead.
There was no "original copyright" over the entire work. There was only copyright, asserted by the "Initial Developer", over "Portions created by the Initial Developer". Use of the "Portions created by the Initial Developer" is subject to the add-on's license agreement (Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 (the "License"), or later). Accordingly, forks of this software by S-3 and others (prior, present, or future) appear totally proper.
license-forecastfox.jpg
license-forecastfox.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Note that the status of all add-ons at APMO are no different, in respect to copyright, than for forecastfox. Portions of these addons, created by the respective "Initial Developer" are automatically subject to copyright by the respective "Initial Developer". And, these addon's also may be used, without concerns, in accordance with the respective addon''s license agreement.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-07, 00:38

Well they aren't, moron. ForecastFox is nor has never been open source. Just because some fuckwit adds an open source license to other people's work and gets away with publishing it for years doesn't make it so.

ForecastFox is ALL RIGHTS RESERVED to the original developer and that S3 guy is a criminal.

The proof is on CAA for the original non-S3 version which is archived.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-07, 01:07

I can confirm ForecastFox is all rights reserved. Taken from v2.0.1, in various places:
©2010 Ensolis
and
Copyright (c) {year} Ensolis, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
None of the files in the extension have an Open Source header/license block attached, so this defaults to Author Copyright in that case, and just slapping an MPL header on it does not suddenly make it Open Source or OK to use by anyone else even if the source code form was technically available in the chrome jar. Available != yours to use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2020-01-07, 05:08

Ensolis does not appear to be the author or developer of the forecastfox software. Ensolis cannot copyright software that it does not own and has not developed or owned.

Following are excerpts from the forecastfox 2.0.1 install.rdf file:
fcstfox-2.01.jpg
Following are more extensive excerpts (imaged above) from the forecastfox 0.8.5.3 install.rdf file. Note that the extension i.d., author, and contributor are the same for forecastfox 0.8.5.3 (i.d.:{0538E3E3-7E9B-4d49-8831-A227C80A7AD3}) as they are for forecastfox 2.0.1 (i.d.:{0538E3E3-7E9B-4d49-8831-A227C80A7AD3}) What is different, however, is that forecastfox 0.8.5.3 is clearly copyrighted by the original author of forecastfox. Forecastfox 0.8.5.3 also is clearly licensed under MPL-1.1. No one has to be uncertain of that obvious fact.
fcstfox-0.8.5.3.jpg
Following are excerpts from the forecastfox-fixed version 2.4.8 install.rdf file. Note that the author and original contributor are the same for forecastfox-fixed version 2.4.8, as they were for forecastfox 0.8.5.3 and for forecastfox 2.0.1. Of course, the extension i.d. and name were changed (as is proper, for a proper fork).
fcst-fixed-2.4.8.jpg
Off-topic:
Following is a quote from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright) that may be of interest:
copyright-info.jpg