Forecast Fox Broken

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

macbear34

Forecast Fox Broken

Unread post by macbear34 » 2018-12-10, 02:39

Can not add city. Type in city and get this notice-An error has occurred while looking up your location on Google Maps. Please try again. Any way to fix this bug.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Forecast Fox Broken

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-10, 07:00

Please contact the Forecast Fox developers. We cannot fix functionality inside extensions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-12-10, 11:24

Is your location being blocked with another extension or within the browser.the answer would appear to be in the error message.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-12-10, 16:01

macbear34 wrote:Can not add city.
If you are using Forecastfox/Forecastfox Weather or Forecastfox (fix version), instead try using Forecastfox for Pale Moon.

Changes in settings for Forecastfox/Forecastfox Weather and Forecastfox (fix version) are somewhat cloud-based. Settings for Forecastfox/Forecastfox Weather, which depend on these cloud-based links, cannot be changed (because these cloud-based links no longer exist). I don't know the status of settings for Forecastfox (fix version) (that is, whether these links have been deleted or retained). For Forecastfox for Pale Moon, all data for settings, except for AccuWeather.com data itself, are stored or derived locally. Note, be sure to disable Forecastfox/Forecastfox Weather and/or Forecastfox (fix version), before installing Forecastfox for Pale Moon.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-12-10, 17:48

It would take someone with more knowledge then me to fix it.
I was able to create a "storage.js" file in FF 60x for Dumas TX. I then transferred all the info from that file into the
"forecastfox.sqlite" file. Only two lines need to be edited for, city ID, city name, state, zipcode and latitude longitude.
I used SQLite manager to do this and edited two lines in "datastore"
locations.saved
locations.selected
then deleted all lines below this.
I now have forecastfox showing weather for Dumas TX. By the way I do live in GA.
Forgot, Forecastfox for Pale Moon doesn't work either. I think Google has changed something on their end.
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-12-10, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-12-10, 19:03

billmcct wrote:Forgot, Forecastfox for Pale Moon doesn't work either. I think Google has changed something on their end.
Ouch! Confirmed that Forecastfox for Pale Moon doesn't work either. The broken Google Maps lookup is in the " ... \content\options\locations.js" file as follows. I don't know whether or not a fix for this broken lookup exists.

Code: Select all

var script_url = 'https://www.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false&callback=map_initialize&language=';

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-12-10, 20:42

Don't know if I misunderstood your earlier comment riiis, but it appears to still need to contact google :thumbdown: to change location. But it would be working nice if I lived in NY! :D
Last edited by Michaell on 2018-12-10, 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-12-11, 02:50

Man, this must have just changed as I just did a complete new profile
and installed all my add on's and settings by hand and I was able to add
my location at that time. Just a few weeks ago. :think:

Just tried it, and no go. :thumbdown:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-12-11, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-12-11, 10:58

I've been using this version forever. It works fine and I have two locations set up for it. But I've tried every link I can find with Google to get a download location but no luck.
Forecastfox (fix version) 2.4.8 Jon Stritar

This version 2.4.8 is available from the Classic Add-ons Archive. Note that it says it is by Oleksandr so I can't be sure what the differences might be, if any. I've kept my copy of Forecastfox for a long time.

P.S. I did notice that when trying to install the Chrome version in another browser that I got the Google error looking for a location. But somehow it still worked. The location was there (after a restart?) and then I could go ahead and set up my preferences for my locations.
Last edited by mommabear on 2018-12-11, 11:03, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-12-11, 17:00

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Man, this must have just changed as I just did a complete new profile...
Yes, this must have happened with the recent update. Just days ago, I installed Forecast Fox (Windows 10, previous version of PM) and changed the city. I tried it again myself, and it doesn't work.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-12-11, 17:06

riiis wrote:
billmcct wrote:Forgot, Forecastfox for Pale Moon doesn't work either. I think Google has changed something on their end.
Ouch! Confirmed that Forecastfox for Pale Moon doesn't work either. The broken Google Maps lookup is in the " ... \content\options\locations.js" file as follows. I don't know whether or not a fix for this broken lookup exists.

var script_url = 'https://www.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false&callback=map_initialize&language=';
What lookup does the Forecastfox (fix version) for Quantum use? Is it something you can apply in your XUL version?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ix-version

It also mentions issues with javascript on the AMO page, and why 2.4.8 is broken.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-12-11, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-12-12, 20:10

If you are using Forecastfox/Forecastfox Weather or Forecastfox (fix version), instead try using Forecastfox for Pale Moon.
Broken link

BTW, Forecastfox stopped working on FF 59.2.0 also. Doesn't even display on the status bar. I can choose options in the add-on menu and it does take me to google maps, which is one step further than Pale Moon, but I'm afraid this favorite add-on has been ruined by google.
Last edited by Tony0945 on 2018-12-12, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-12-12, 21:11

As a workaround, bookmark the accuweather page i.e. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chicago-il/60608/weather-forecast/348308
You will be stuck in centigrade, but if you live in Europe, it won't matter.
Last edited by Tony0945 on 2018-12-12, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-12-13, 05:23

I've been running Forecast Fox for Palemoon 1.0 on PM 27.9.4 (32-bit) for a while, and everything still seems fine.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-13, 06:15

Given that I'm not much of a programmer I quickly realized that coming up with a fix was outside of my abilities. Still, I found a workaround that is relatively simple. First you will need to find a program to edit SQlite files. I'm using SQliteman because it was the first one I saw on the PortableApps platform. Use whatever works.

With your SQlite program open forecastfox.sqlite located in your Pale Moon profile directory. Under the "datastore" you will see a line labeled locations.selected that will have the default values New York, NY and a cityID 349727. Change the city/state on that line to your locale (it changes the label), change the cityID to your cityID which you can find from the accuweather website. It's part of the web address when you search for your city. It will be a 6 digit number which should be the last part of the address. Commit the changes to the file. The next time Forecastfox refreshes it will update to your city.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-12-13, 09:56

Tony0945 wrote:
Broken link

http://addons-dev.palemoon.org/addon/forecastfox-pm/

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-12-13, 10:50

Cassette wrote: New York, NY and a cityID 349727. Change the city/state on that line to your locale (it changes the label), change the cityID to your cityID which you can find from the accuweather website. It's part of the web address when you search for your city. It will be a 6 digit number which should be the last part of the address. Commit the changes to the file. The next time Forecastfox refreshes it will update to your city.
If you don't change the latitude and longitude settings as I stated above then the radar will not show your city.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-13, 11:50

billmcct wrote:If you don't change the latitude and longitude settings as I stated above then the radar will not show your city.
It doesn't have GPS coordinates by default. It has only the name and cityID. My forecastfox.sqlite file created when the lookup was working does have those coordinates, but the map looks exactly the same without them. I'm sure you're right, though. If someone needs to change locations and coordinates are in there, they would have to be changed too.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-12-13, 22:28

If you don't change the latitude and longitude settings as I stated above then the radar will not show your city.
Not really. Latitude and longitude are actually updated by AccuWeather, from the "cityid" code, whenever Forecastfox is being used.

To add a city to Forecastfox manually, open the "forecastfox.sqlite" file in an appropriate database editor (IMPORTANT: Make a backup copy of "forecastfox.sqlite" before doing so). Find the "locations.saved" key in the "datastore" table. Add your new city to the value of the "locations.saved" key. For example:

Change value of "locations.saved" from:

[{"code":"cityId:349727","name":"New York, NY"}]
Change value to:

[{"code":"cityId:349727","name":"New York, NY"},{"code":"cityId:337169","name":"Mountain View, CA"}]
The "cityid" code appears to be assigned by AccuWeather. To find this "cityid" code for your city, open the AccuWeather webpage (https://www.accuweather.com/). Then use the AccuWeather "Search" box to find your city. When your city is displayed, find its "cityid" code at the end of the url in the addressbar.

After the "forecastfox.sqlite" file is changed and saved, open Forecastfox options. Then select your new city in "Previous Locations" on the options page.
Last edited by riiis on 2018-12-13, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-13, 22:58

Those instructions are eerily similar to what I posted. At least we know the syntax for adding more locations.