VPN

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

alex31

VPN

Unread post by alex31 » 2018-12-06, 17:58

Palemoon's extension list is increasing and has many fine and useful add-ons now. Moonchild, please, I know your viewpoint about this, but still, allow add-ons like Browsec vpn to be used in Palemoon and let users choose do they want it or not.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: VPN

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-12-06, 20:19

I have older version of Windscribe extension in Basilisk, but no go with PM. If I didn't have any other option I'd try to make it work in PM but it's easier to use another browser. It's funny (irony, not comedy) that the real OpenVPN client/server software that is used by many VPN apps is available for free but you still need a paid account to use it AFAIK. Haven't tried any other VPN extensions with Gecko or UXP but the old proxy extensions I tried years ago were awful.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

alex31

Unread post by alex31 » 2018-12-06, 20:43

NotWorthKnowing wrote:I have older version of Windscribe extension in Basilisk, but no go with PM. If I didn't have any other option I'd try to make it work in PM but it's easier to use another browser. It's funny (irony, not comedy) that the real OpenVPN client/server software that is used by many VPN apps is available for free but you still need a paid account to use it AFAIK. Haven't tried any other VPN extensions with Gecko or UXP but the old proxy extensions I tried years ago were awful.
I also using it with another browser but wanted to make PM my main browser for security and privacy requirements, don't know if Basilisk is like PM disabled many tracking links/features, also maybe it's heavy for resources.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-12-06, 20:57

alex31 wrote:allow add-ons like Browsec vpn to be used in Palemoon and let users choose do they want it or not.
I cannot speak for Moonchild or the add-ons team, but I'm almost certain that VPN extensions for Pale Moon are already allowed. They are simply discouraged for several (legitimate) reasons. Also, since few (if any?) VPN vendors have made add-ons properly compatible with Pale Moon, it is difficult for anyone other than the vendor to properly support them on Pale Moon.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-06, 21:48

My personal viewpoints on this have no bearing on what is allowed or not.
It's your own choice to extend your browser with misnomer extensions that give you a false impression of what is happening, if that's what you want :) -- Your browser, Your way™

That said, as Ascrod pointed out, especially with service extensions (extensions that provide tight interaction with service providers like "VPN" *cough*proxy*cough*) only the vendors of these services and extensions can provide compatibility. Considering most of these will be focusing on Chrome and WebExtensions, it's likely they are not willing to invest time into a XUL-based extension for the same. As such, if you don't see any on our extension site, it's likely because they simply aren't available -- and not because we have any sort of ban on them, or whatever you seem to be thinking.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alex31

Unread post by alex31 » 2018-12-06, 22:40

I understand, thanks.