Resources on bootstrapped extensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Resources on bootstrapped extensions

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-30, 22:10

Hello.
I'm trying to develop a bootstrapped extension, but I'm having issues when dealing with UI.
Classic overlays would definitely be better when adding UI elements, but in this case having an overlay is a bit too inflexible.
Anyway, the problem is that after restarting the browser, the UI elements are not added to the toolbar I placed them in.
I tried looking at spme other extensions, but I don't understand anything (or trying to do like them doesn't work).
Since I'm looking for help on this matter, I thought I'd also ask for other resources, if any.
Are there any guides and/or easy-to-read extensions, so that it's possible to have a better grasp of the whole bootstrapping thing?

JustOff

Re: Resources on bootstrapped extensions

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-10-31, 15:41

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of existence of such guides. In my extensions I use a method I discovered while studying other add-ons. I think the simplest one is Greedy Cache. Its source code does not contain comments, but feel free to ask questions if you need to clarify anything.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-31, 16:09

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Would it be possible to add an explanation of that method to the Pale Moon wiki?
Even just two lines to explain the basic idea.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-10-31, 16:52

Sorry, I'm too lazy for this, maybe it will happen sometime when I have inspiration and a lot of free time, but I can't promise. In the meantime, try to go through the example and ask questions here.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-31, 21:24

I understand, thanks anyway.
I've read the linked example, studied it a bit, and by following the same pattern I got what I wanted, so I achieved half of what I was looking for in this thread (the other being other resources on bootstrapped extensions in general, since MDN is relatively bare).